The Republican War on Voting Thread

Not satisfied with simply restricting restricting the franchises, Republicans in the Texas legislature tried to push through another bill that would allow for Arizona-style audits of the 2020 election. They ran out of time during the immediately past special session, but the rumor is that Abbott will include it in ANOTHER special session that he’s going to call in two weeks.

This is just so baffling. Trump WON Texas. Republicans won every contested race. Obviously the driver isn’t a real concern with the outcome, but just to further invalidate elections as a legitimate way of determining outcomes.

It’s not baffling at all. They are trying to “destroy the system” by chilling - making it actually dangerous for anyone to pursue a career in election management, education or healthcare. It’s a form or terrorism.

There is a private citizen in Texas who was called out by name as a treasonous actor in Mike Lindell’s election symposium. His crime?
He used to work for Dominion Voting, then he took a job that involved managing elections for a county in Texas, a county that Biden won .
Now his life is in danger. All because he pursued a career in election management.

Complete headline:
Pennsylvania GOP lawmakers approve wide-ranging subpoenas for personal information of 2020 voters

Republican lawmakers in Pennsylvania on Wednesday approved subpoenas for a wide range of data and personal information on voters, advancing a probe of the 2020 election in a key battleground state former president Donald Trump has repeatedly targeted with baseless claims of fraud.

The move drew a sharp rebuke from Democrats who described the effort as insecure and unwarranted and said they would consider mounting a court fight. Among other requests, Republicans are seeking the names, dates of birth, driver’s license numbers, last four digits of Social Security numbers, addresses and methods of voting for millions of people who cast ballots in the May primary and the November general election.

Wolf added in a statement, “Election security is not a game and should not be treated with such carelessness. Senate Republican[s] should be ashamed of their latest attempt to destabilize our election system through a sham investigation that will unnecessarily cost taxpayers millions of dollars.”

But Sen. Cris Dush, the Republican chairman of the committee that approved the subpoena, argued during the hearing that the information is needed because “there have been questions regarding the validity of people who have voted — whether or not they exist.”

“Whether or not they exist”? If anyone can find any logic in this, please speak up… oh, wait…logic:woman_facepalming:t4: Never mind.

“FAKE VOTERS! MOLE MEN! Stolen election! Busloads of illegals! CHINESE BALLOTS! NASA conspiracy with reverse vampires!”

That’s all the logic you need.

Of course! Why didn’t I think of those things? :woman_facepalming:t4: Thank you.

I’m wearing out the head-smack emoji.

There’s some evidence that the great lie is beginning to backfire among some right-leaning voters, which is good on one hand, but on the other, it makes the diehards even more extreme.

The logic is this: as long as they can continue to maintain the pretense that there are doubts about the validity of the last election, they can continue their efforts to undermine democracy, increase FUD, and bilk the rubes for every penny they’ve got.

Complete headline:
In a changing Texas, Republicans will begin redistricting with more freedom to draw their maps

Republicans disproportionately rely on white voters to elect them, but people of color were behind 95% of the state’s population growth since 2010. Hispanic Texans alone were responsible for half of that increase. And the 2020 census found that the Hispanic population — 39.3% of the total population — was nearly equal in size to the non-Hispanic white population, which makes up 39.8%.

What’s more, population growth over the last decade was largely concentrated in areas where Republicans are faltering. The state’s suburbs, many of which have turned blue in recent years or are trending in that direction, grew the fastest. Meanwhile, the state’s five most populous counties — Harris, Dallas, Bexar, Travis and Tarrant — became home to roughly 44% of the state’s 4 million new residents. Harris, Dallas, Bexar and Travis are decisively blue counties. Tarrant, which is historically red but voted Democratic at the top of the ticket in 2018 and 2020, actually saw its white population decrease by more than 30,000 in the last decade.

Despite the challenging demographic landscape, the U.S. Supreme Court paved an easier road to Republican dominance with two highly consequential rulings in the last decade.

Doin’ God’s work, amirite?

I think that this is following the old @Bricker line, "Even if there isn’t any actually any significant voter fraud we need to pass laws/investigate in order to preserve voter confidence in the system. " Of course not acknowledging that any lack of voter confidence it entirely of their own purposeful making.

Something positive:

Complete headline:
Judges strike down North Carolina voter ID law, citing its ‘discriminatory purpose’ against African Americans

A panel of North Carolina judges on Friday struck down the state’s law requiring voters to present photo identification before casting ballots, saying that the measure “was enacted in part for a discriminatory purpose” against African American voters.

The North Carolina measure, known as S.B. 824, was enacted in December 2018 after a supermajority of the state legislature overrode a veto by Gov. Roy Cooper (D). North Carolina voters also approved a ballot measure creating a constitutional requirement that voters present a photo ID. At the time, Cooper said the law would disenfranchise minority voters, who are less likely to possess the required identification.

In Friday’s majority decision, Superior Court Judges Michael O’Foghludha and Vince Rozier Jr. wrote that the attorneys defending the law failed to prove that it “would have been enacted in its present form if it did not tend to discriminate against African American voters.”

“Other, less restrictive voter ID laws would have sufficed to achieve the legitimate nonracial purposes of implementing the constitutional amendment requiring voter ID, deterring fraud, or enhancing voter confidence,” the judges wrote.

They noted that they did not find that any individual lawmaker supporting the voter-ID law “harbors any racial animus or hatred towards African American voters,” but rather that the legislature’s Republican majority targeted those voters because they were more likely to be Democrats.

Is the key then to encourage Black people to register as Republicans and then VOTE Democratic?

If Black people were a significant portion of the Republican primary voters - even if they vote D in the general election, the Republican party would be much more sensitive to that demographic.

~Max

Here’s an article in the Washington Post about the danger The Republican War on Voting poses to the people with careers in governmental administration and election management, and the authors’ bipartisan effort to protect and defend them.

Even though WaPo is paywalled, this link should be free for two weeks. It’s a new feature they have where I can use my subscription to “gift” a limited number of links be month. If you want to read this article, it won’t count against your free views.

Way cool!
Can you post or PM me a link that tells how you do that? I also subscribe and may want to share some links with the board in the future.

Sure, it’s easy.

When you open the article, you will see a new icon to the right of the byline - a gift box- next to the other icons for sharing and bookmarking. Just click the icon and follow the instructions to create the link.

It really is a great feature. I always try to find free sources for straight-up news articles, but some of their editorials and investigative pieces are exclusive.

That’s quite the vicious circle Republicans have constructed for themselves with black voters.

I just wanted to add that -now that I’m looking for it- the NYT has the same policy on gifting articles and it works the same way.

This New Yorker article, The Big Money Behind the Big Lie, came out last August, and even if it was posted/disciussed here back then, well then dammit I’m a gonna get all tl;dr about this anyway, and cite as many salient points as I can, in case anyone has paywall issues.

I think every human being should take this shit in, to know precisely what shit wheels are grinding away to make things even shittier.

This niggles at me and makes me wonder how bullshit-like the Cyber Ninnies’ results will be (if they ever get around to barfing them out, that is) and to what degree would such egregious horseshit stick amongst a certain ignorant electorate?

I dig the bolded - interesting POV, there, with its own warped sense.

Um, “True the Vote”? How fucking Neanderthal-sounding is a name like that? (ok sure, my commentary isn’t exactly on the erudite side, either, possibly. Oh wells)

And really, I could’ve cited on and on about aaaaww cheek-sqeezable John Eastman*, former flunkie Trump lawyer and co-author of “The Seditionist’s Handbook”, and, along with Trump, tried to persuade Vice-President Mike Pence to halt the certification of the Electoral College vote; or, two other Public Interest Legal Foundation lawyers — its president, Christian Adams, and another board member, Hans von Spakovsky — of the stupid 2017 Presidential commission on election integrity that antagonistically imploded within months; or, ALEC CEO Lisa Nelson’s boner-on for Trump; or, the Public Interest Legal Foundation’s president saying “Be not afraid of the accusations that you’re a voter suppressor, you’re a racist, and so forth.”; or, the Rally Forge / Turning Point social media misinformation frenzy; or, more Heritage Foundation shenanigans; or, the fucking ridiculous Honest Elections Project, the group tied to Leonard Leo, of the Federalist Society; or, Karen Fann, the Arizona Senate’s president, confiding that she knew there was “nothing to” the fraud charges but still subpoened for the county’s ballots for the forensic audit; or finally, Heritage Foundation off-shoot Heritage Action’s plans to spend twenty-four million dollars mobilizing supporters and lobbyists who will promote “election integrity,” starting in eight battleground states, including Arizona.

Hooboy yeah late for work now. :laughing:

*Love how this opens: “Eastman, who recently retired, under pressure, from Chapman University, and was stripped of his public duties at another post that he held, at the University of Colorado Boulder, told me he still believes that the election was stolen, and thinks that the audits in Arizona and other states will help prove it. The Bradley Foundation declined to comment on him, or on Mitchell, when asked about its role in funding their activities.”

Um, I think you missed the announcement:

Not officially announced yet. 1pm today, I believe (AZ time, I assume).

There was really no other outcome, and there was no way to take seriously any claim to the contrary. The efforts in Arizona failed because Republicans probably assumed they would win, but more than that, they didn’t have an apparatus in place to manipulate the results.

But as the article that @Guest-starring_Id linked to describes, all of that has changed. The article refers to the ability of election officials to manipulate the results and control whether an election gets certified or not. The law professor interviewed in the article has described the exact same fears I have.

It’s not just one tactic we’re dealing with; the GOP has opened up a multi-front war on liberal democratic elections, starting with even more partisan gerrymandering which will likely result in Republican control of Congress next year. I truly believe the only thing that can stop the illiberal Republican machine is COVID killing Republican voters, or killing so many of their beloved that maybe just enough of them have a change of worldview. But there’s no indication that we’re there yet.