The return of "HOs 'R' Us"

I find thongs are much more comfortable than traditional underwear. I don’t wear thongs to be sexy, I wear them because I can’t stand the creep of regular panties. There is nothing worse than having 3" of material stuck up the butt.

Thongs rule in this female’s world.

Yeah, but for children?

Yet another reason I want to learn to sew…

Boscibo that’s fine, but thongs definitely have a sexy connotation. And little girls generally don’t have to worry about panty creep.

Anyway, you shouldn’t be worrying about visible panty lines when you just got rid of visible diaper lines.

I don’t remember seeing thongs for sale when I was a child, but if they were, and I found them more comfortable, I would have asked my mom to buy them. I showed horses (mostly hunters and jumpers) when I was 12 and up, and I remember trying to convince my mom to let me go without undies when I had to wear breeches - those things are skintight and my panty lines showed. There were some super thin panties made that were specifically for wearing under breeches, I remember they were too spendy for me so I was stuck (unhappily) with wearing regular bunchy panties under my breeches.

Comfort is the bottom line - why shouldn’t kids be comfortable too, even if the item has a sexy connotation? When I wear my thongs today, I certainly don’t think “sexy” when I put them on, it’s the same as any other panty pair - just more comfortable.

You’re certainly not the only one. I’ve seen a similar rant here before but I can’t locate it.

My sister got married in May. The guy she married has two daughters from his previous marriage. One is 12, and the other is 9 years old.

The 9 year old showed up at the wedding rehearsal wearing short-shorts (!) and a t- shirt that was split at the bottom front and tied in a knot. It was a pink shirt, with a cat on the front. I looked at it, and had to do a double take. It said, “Miss Kitty’s Massage Parlour” and had a cat dressed like a hooker.

Why on EARTH would someone buy that for a NINE YEAR OLD CHILD!? And who would let their child wear something like this to a FREAKIN’ WEDDING REHEARSAL? Every time I’ve seen the wedding pictures I’ve cringed in agony.

[sorry, mini hijack]

Waitaminute…that’s why I don’t wear thongs. Am I missing something?

[/mini hijack]

Have you ever worn a thong? It takes a little while to get used to, but they are so much more comfy than regular panties (except for maybe those old lady panties - the huge ones). With normal bikini cut panties, I always get the panty creep. It’s a difference of having all that up your butt, as opposed to a thong where you have a little less than a half inch up your butt. After awhile you don’t even notice it’s there. I didn’t think a thong would be more comfortable at first, but believe me, they are.

Indeed.

A buncha big corporations are in control. They spend billions of dollars marketing directly to your kids. Why is anyone surprised that some parents get tired of fighting, and that some don’t even bother in the first place?

Corporations spend all that money because it works. They control the popular culture (that is, the media culture), which means that their values, or lack thereof, go a long way to determining, in the minds of the more impressionable (and I’m including a big chunk of the adult population here) what’s right and what’s wrong.

So yeah, if they think they can make lotsa money this year selling slutty clothes to 5-year-olds, they’ll do it.

I bore myself by saying this stuff one more time, but what else is there to say?

I hesitate to disagree with you, RTF, but it is still up to the parents to control this. Putting it all on the corps that sell this stuff doesn’t mean a lot. It’s not their job to raise someone else’s kids. It is the parents’ job to do so. And if that means refusing to buy things that don’t fit with the values that they’re trying to instill in their kids, then that’s what that means, even if their kids get angry about it. It’s not a parent’s job to make their child happy. It’s a parent’s job to make their child capable of making informed and wise choices. If I were to have children (which is pretty much improbable), I would try to raise them right regardless of how many television commercials or how much peer pressure they received. Giving up shouldn’t be an option.

Let me rephrase “It’s not their job to make their child happy.”

It’s not their job to give the child everything the child thinks he or she needs to be happy.

I found related threads here and here and a boy version here.

I searched for “thong.” I feel all dirty now.

Yes, and fart jokes are a grand subject in Chez Smegma, but pre-pube ho-wear is not cool.
We do have standards, y’know.:cool:

I used to work for Target, one of the last bastions of American retail that doesn’t sell ho-wear for girls. The stuff is cute and hip but definately not ho-ish. I nearly gagged on a lollypop the first time I walked by Abercrombie and saw their mini-ho little girl thongs. As if having thongs for pre-teens wasn’t bad enough, the ones in Abercrombie sport cutesie sayings like “eye candy’ and 'woo woo!”.
Ugh…it is because of things like this that I will dress MY daughter(if I ever have one)in boy’s clothes and all black stuff.

IDBB

And the worst of it is… now that I’m all growed up, I don’t have the body to wear slutty clothes, much as I’d like to. sigh

When my wife and I got married many years ago, several of her family members came up from Brazil to attend the wedding. One friend brought along her nine-year-old daughter, dressed up like she was a grown woman, with a good deal of makeup. My wife explained to me that in Brazil, they tend to dress girls to look like women, rather than children – in fact, she said that she really likes the way children are allowed to be children here.

Several years later, I was over at my friend’s house, the fellow who had been my best man, and we were remembering the wedding. He said “What ever happened to that girl who came in with the flowers. She was so HOT!” His jaw dropped in disbelief when I told him she had been nine. He had been totally convinced that she was at least sixteen.

Nowadays, that little girl is off in law school in Rio de Janeiro. One of these days I’ll tell her about my friend and see her reaction.

Yuck. If I have a little girl, my mother-in-law and I will be cooperating on sewing all her dresses, and she’ll wear jeans and stuff the rest of the time.

I went into a Le Chateau last week. They have a “girls” section. I think the average age of their non-“girls” shopper is 16. That makes the younger stuff for 11-12 year olds. Yuck.

I agree with everyone else here. I’m offended, creeped out. And the shoe thing really bothers me. I can’t stand the fact I can’t find a nice pair of shoes for myself that don’t have five-pound heels, but now 5 year old girls should have to wear those death trap shoes too? Jackasses.

I haven’t seen thongs for girls, but I’ve seen heavily padded, push-up training bras. That was eerie. The bras were as thick as mattresses.

I guess by today’s standards I would have be considered a very late bloomer. Not bodily–yeay me, I was early with that, but I didn’t care about fashion or make-up or boys until I was 15.

Why can’t little girls have a few years to just be themselves and be innocent children?

It ain’t just one of 'em. Wal Mart bought out a chain called “Wertkauf,” so they’ve got Wal Marts all over Germany.

Father of a 3-year-old princess checking in . . .

Yes, we saw the same clothes as well. My wife found that the more upscale the store or catalog, the less-ho-ish the clothes. (She also shops at Goodwill and similar establishments. The Junior League in the wealthier section of Charlotte was just full of good clothes with better labels).

What really turns my wife’s crank is not being able to find shoes wide enough for her feet. She doesn’t have very wide feet, just a little wider than average. She finally gave up on shoe stores and turned to men’s sneakers.