The return of Law and Order Mothership

Exactly!

Rick Eid was the credited writer. He wrote 6 previous episodes of Law and Order plus other episodes of “Law & Order” family.

I’m finally watching the episode and I’m not at all surprised that McCoy was hostile to the “defund the police” sentiment. This is a career district attorney who worked with police for decades. Despite his liberal leanings, he doesn’t recognize the problems. I think this is supposed to demonstrate just how entrenched the system is.

Aw, man. This is definitely not what I, a longtime Burn Notice fan, was hoping to hear about Jeffrey Donovan’s character. He was my reason to be excited about the reboot in the first place. The other additions to the cast were pretty much “fine” and/or “we’ll see” in my book, but he was the hook. He was going to be sly and witty and, you know, be Michael Westen who lived in New York now and didn’t seem to blow up as many things as he used to. But first episodes are first episodes, and they can always make a course correction. Maybe they need duct tape.

When in doubt - C4.

“Tonight’s episode: New detective Pressly (played by Brice Campbell) investigates the mysterious death of det Frank Cosgrove.”

There is still time.

Not any more.

You might want to check out a BBC show from the '80s called Star Cops.

I caught the last few minutes of L&O; plan to see the whole thing when I can. It was always kind of interesting when the show brought back regular characters after they had left; I’m a little surprised they did it with Jamie in the first revival episode.

I like the little hints of the characters lives. Was there any explanation of what became of Lt. Van Buren?

I watched it last night. Frankly I was somewhat underwhelmed, but I’ll watch another couple of episodes before I give up on it. I thought at times it was overly melodramatic.

But most important – where the hell was Leslie Hendrix? Rodgers better be in her lab in further episodes!

Why did McCoy allow one of his staff to get away with that pleading the 5th thing?

Not to mention that McCoy was frequently willing to “bend the rules” to get a conviction. It’s not just that he doesn’t recognize the problems, he often is part of the problem. He may be an old hippy who has fond memories of Woodstock, but as a prosecutor he’s always been very pro-police.

I don’t want to spoil anything, but IMDB doesn’t list her in the cast for the next two episodes.

Hmmm, veddy interestink.

But, to be fair…when she came back as a defense attorney, it was for one episode only. Robinette had two guest appearances. By itself, it means nothing, The DAs office is a deep ocean of secrets. No one ever heard of McCoy’s best buddy Daniel Tenofskie before he was murdered. :slight_smile:

I fear the final scene of the last episode of season 20 was cut off before it was revealed that Van Buren’s phone call said the cancer was terminal.

I thought Sam Waterston looked and acted like he had had a stroke. He seemed barely able to speak and certainly had little emotion to his face.

There were definitely some setups that didn’t feel vintage Law & Order. In the opening when the cops discover the body, they’re shot from below with the police flashers playing across their faces, a much more “arty” shot than the original series tended to go for. Beyond that, the sets are all new and they feel airier and more open than the original sets did. The police bullpen in particular looks cavernous and surprisingly empty.

Beyond that, color me underwhelmed alongside everyone else. Cosgrove’s raging assholery and the tenor of the investigation overall reminded me unpleasantly of the CSI franchise, in which the cops/investigators are much more combative and basically treat their witnesses with barely disguised contempt whether they’re suspects or not. I really hope L&O does not go any further down this path. I’m chalking this up to first-(reboot) episode kinks and am optimistic the show will right itself. If not, there’s always reruns on BBC or WETV.

I just watched the episode and at first thought, damn, they couldn’t get Carey Lowell to play Jamie Ross. Yes, I understand people age, but she looked like a different person to me.

I was a little disappointed in the Jamie Ross angle. I always liked her character but the actions ascribed to her in this story seem more like something Carmichael would’ve done. Is Angie Harmon busy these days?

They also redid the theme music. And in the opening credits, when they did the shot of the main cast walking toward the camera, it was in slow-motion; never used to be. It did seem like they were trying to use a more dramatic style.

I thought so too, when I first saw the end of the episode. I watched the whole thing on Sunday and found Lowell a little more recognizable; mostly her voice.

Carey Lowell looked awful. More than just older.

Although the melody has stayed the same, the arrangement of the music has varied slightly over the years, and among the different L&Os. Trust me, I’ve watched and continued to watch lots of these episodes.
Note to self: get a life.

I know that all the spinoffs use variations of the theme, but this is the first time I’ve noticed a different version on the original show.

I didn’t think she looked bad for 61.

61? That’s impossible! If she’s 61, that would make me…

Oh my god!! :scream: