The return of Law and Order Mothership

Is anyone watching the continuation (season 21) of Classic L&O? What did you think?

I think Cosgrove (the new detective) time traveled in from 1940s LAPD. He’s all wrong for the show. And I bet he voted for trump. He pretty much tanked the case, and bitched out the ADA. I swear, Jeffrey Donovan (a two time repeat offender himself) was only good as Michael Westen. He’s just too creepy in every other role.

The new male ADA, Price, first showed up at arraignment, so I thought, wow, they’re making the female ADA the lead (because almost always, the asst does arraignment). But nope. No explanation for that.

Jamie Ross returns, back working for the DAs office. But considering her actions, probably not for much longer.

The defense lawyer is a repeat offender as well, from CI.

The case was a ripped from the headlines about Bill Cosby, and I thought it was mush. They couldn’t decide what they wanted.

And McCoy? He’s whining about how “they” want to “defund the police”. It would seem getting to be a DA turns you into Arthur Branch, and sucks the liberal do-gooder right out of you.

I haven’t watched it yet, but I plan to give it a try.

I watch the reruns of the original series in the afternoons, and I’m still amazed at how good they are. Full disclosure: I own the whole boxed DVD set.

Note to defendant: if you’re acquitted of the crime, DON’T exit by way of the front steps of the building.

Note to viewer: don’t change the channel until the credits roll.

I watched it, and really appreciated that they didn’t have any of the annoying character backstories that has plagued SVU and the Sabler spinoff. At least they haven’t started doing that yet.

Haven’t watched it yet, but that’s good to hear. That’s the one thing that set the original apart.

I do hope they’re going to limit the “ripped from the headlines” stories. Those were always the worst episodes.

Thank goodness! I hated all the family crap. I just want a procedural show.

So now Dick Wolf, the guy who created and produces this show, has Law & Order shows on NBC Thursday nights from 8-11pm, Chicago shows on NBC on, I think, Wednesday nights from 8-11pm and FBI shows on CBS on Tuesday from 8-11pm. So he has a total of nine hours of prime-time programming across two networks. I think that must be a record.

Me too. :smiley:

“Look out! Gun!!”

Yes. Once in a while they could be entertaining, but hey- just hire some writers, okay?

Yeah, and no more “This time, it’s personal!” .

I will say, if they filmed a new spinoff of Law and Order set on a generation ship traveling to a new solar system, I would watch the shit out of that.

A police procedural set in the Star Trek universe would be an interesting idea for a show

Amen!

Okay, I watched the first episode of the reboot. They’re calling it season 21 and marching on down the road! :+1:t4:

My comments-- if anybody cares, spoilers may follow.

1. There wasn’t really any investigation. Lots of lying (police and witnesses) and twisting the law. I hope the plots improve.
  2. It’s interesting contrasting this one (and other current police shows) with the first L&Os in the early 90s. No cell phone, no DNA, no CCTV on every street corner. Lenny Briscoe always had to have a dime on him (and later a quarter) so he could call in from a pay phone.
  3. I always liked Anthony Anderson, and I do like facial hair, but please trim that hedge back a little. He looks like a Church Elder.
  4. The new guy Frank Donovan is a loose cannon and unprofessional-- is that supposed to endear him to the viewer? He brags about being a clueless loudmouth? He makes Eliot Stabler look…well…stable. I hope he mellows out.
  5. OMG- Jamie Ross. Yeah, she has aged (haven’t we all) but that makeup looks like trump’s orange tan.
  6. The exquisitely beautiful Alicia Coppola (the defense attorney) didn’t make it into the credits on IMDB. In a 2003 episode of L&O:CI someone described her as having “a face like a Madonna.” Still true. Those cheekbones don’t go away.

Imgur

My mom sent me dvds of Seasons 1-5 for Christmas. I also found out, to my surprise, they held up remarkably well! And since I’ve forgotten most of the plots, they still work as good yarns.

This show is absolutely the king or queen of “Hey, it’s that guy!” Usually the judge, it seems. Makes it all the more fun to watch.

Watching the old episodes in syndication and then watching this new episode–they changed the way they filmed the show didn’t they?

I am not sure how to describe because I am not entirely familiar with filming techniques? The old episodes look …more Raw(?). Is it switching to film in HD? Or filming to film instead of tape? Does anyone else notice the difference?

Until something like 1999-2000 they were (probably) film, and in 4:3 aspect ratio. If you watch them on WE or Sundance, I think they either stretch or crop them into pseudo 16:9. So if they are cropping, they are losing resolution. And who knows sometimes if they are even sending full resolution - I’ve seen episodes on some channel where it looked like 15 frames per second.

Yes, owning the DVDs is the way to go. I don’t have them all like you above*, though. I hate hate Fontana and not a fan of detective beauty queen. (Cassidy, but I never call her that.) Plus, WE edits the shows for language, and considering this show was on broadcast TV, that makes them the most sensitive of judges.

* I do have L&O LA and L&O UK, and Exile. And L&O: Starfleet would definitely better than Discovery.

I watched Jeffrey Donovan when he was on Burn Notice with Bruce Campbell.

Frankly I wish they hired Campbell instead.

I’m with you there. And I liked Burn Notice (mostly).

Did you see Donovan’s Mother Ship guest role where he was a father that murdered his daughter’s teacher to prevent the daughter from eternal damnation? Creepy.

I thought the acting from everyone was on the level of a high school play. Even the returnees from the original (McCoy & Bernard). I was surprised that the Director (Jean de Segonzac) had actionally done 11 episodes of the original series

Checking Camryn Manheim’s (the new Captain or Lieutenant) IMDB, she was in three episodes on the original Law Order from the earlier seasons. Continuing Law and Order ‘tradition’ of using previously guest stars and recycling them into main (but different) characters.

I thought it was odd the EADA did the arraignment after watching Robinette, Kincaid, Ross, Carmichael, Sutherland, Borgia, and Rubirosa do the arraignments in the previous edition

Along with that, the writing was clunky. It felt like a pilot episode - let’s introduce the characters by awkward dialog instead of letting the audience discover them naturally.

I’m still discombubulated by do-gooder liberal McCoy complaining that “they want to defund the police”. Does he even understand what is meant by that statement? Does he think his office will be obsolete because the police will disappear?

More appropriately, “Does the writer who put those words in McCoy’s mouth understand (a) what is meant by that statement, and (b) McCoy’s character?”