The road home

While driving to work the other day, I was careful to observe the speed limit- as several other girls in my dorm had gotten tickets the past week. The speed limit was 45. Not so bad. But then, while driving home from work-on the same road-I noticed the speed limit was 30. The signs were even at the same place; I glanced in my mirror to see if I was remembering the other one correctly. And sure enough, it was 45. My question: Why? It’s the same road-just two different directions. Why are there two different speed limits? Is this legal? Could I get a ticket for going 45 in both directions? I’ve never seen this before, and it makes no sense to me whatsoever. :slight_smile:

tipi :slight_smile:

The 30 MPH in the other direction is probably because traffic is approaching a congested or residential area.

I betcha the speed before the 45 MPH is 30.

I just noticed the same thing in my little burg, tipi. They repaved and widened a local thoroughfare and then raised the speed limit to 40 mph. At the eastern end of the project the raised the eastbound speed limit on the unimproved portion of the road to 40 also, but maintained the 30 mph limit on the westbound portion. There are no obvious reasons for the difference and it extends for half a mile or so, till it joins another road with a 40 mph limit.

I don’t know why they do it, but I guess they do do it sometimes.

“The departure of the church-going element had induced a more humanitarian atmosphere.”
Dorothy L. Sayers
Clouds of Witness

Not at the same time. :wink:
And not on the side where the speed limit is 45. Is it legal? Sure, unless they start enforcing the speed limit posted on the signs you can’t see.