The SD is always slow.

Am I the only one who has this problem? I’ve been a member since last November, and one of the reasons I don’t post more often is that there is usually only about a 50% chance of the page loading for me. Now, I regularly post from two seperate, relatively new PC’s, so I don’t think it’s a computer issue (plus no other websights give me this problem), and I have a good high speed connection at each location.

Often, what happens, is I click on a link (or a preview/submit reply button) and the “loading” toolbar appears at the bottom of the window (I use Opera), and that’s it. 0% progress, nothing loads, often for up to ten minutes.

My question is, does anyone else have this problem? Is it a server issue? Don’t we pay you enough to afford better servers? :wink:

Oh, jeez. Not again.

Yes. Yes. No. Send more money; when it speeds up, you’ll know when you’ve sent enough.

I know it doesn’t *seem * as though it could possibly be your problem, but it is, unfortunately. I had the same feeling, and then I got a new internet provider. Still using the same computer, but now it’s all better.

I’m not pitting; I’m just curious. The fact that you say “not again” somewhat indicates that I’m not alone in this complaint?

Will $1000 US per month suffice?

If it’s me, it’s me. No big deal, really, I was just curious if others had this issue at all. I know the SD isn’t a huge for profit business, so I’m not surprised if they dont’ have YouTube level bandwidth capability.

However, I have the problem on both my comps, which have different ISPs, and, I’ve switched ISPs at my home a few times too, and this still happens. Plus, it really only happens regularly on SD, whereas other websights work fine.

It’s not you (well, theoretically, you might coincidentally have a problem with your connection, but just as theoretically some little old lady that I don’t know could bequeath me a million dollars). The “not again” comment was because it is a very long standing problem, complained about many times by many people. Time outs are a fact of life.

Or at least a fact of the SDMB?

I just wanted to make sure Jesus wasn’t picking on me, or something like that. :smiley:

Still wish I could edit to avoid double posting, but:

Just to restate, I’m not tearing my hair out here. The quality of the content far outweights the frustration from techincal problems.

You could try a tracert from your PC to the board. Just open a DOS command prompt window and type “tracert boards.straightdope.com”. There might be a slow node between you and here. Unfortunately, if that’s true, there’s really nothing you or the Reader could do about it.

Tracing route to boards.straightdope.com [207.97.195.229]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms [my IP]
2 18 ms 19 ms 20 ms atm013.edge1.nyc.megapath.net [66.80.46.1]
3 28 ms 24 ms 23 ms fe1-1-0.core1.nyc.megapath.net [66.80.132.9]
4 19 ms 19 ms 20 ms ge-6-5.car1.NewYork1.Level3.net [209.246.126.1]

5 20 ms 20 ms 21 ms ae-22-52.car2.NewYork1.Level3.net [4.68.97.53]
6 19 ms 22 ms 20 ms te-4-4.wch010.nycmny2.Level3.net [4.68.110.18]
7 19 ms 19 ms 19 ms 64.200.249.149
8 23 ms 25 ms 25 ms hrndva1wcx2-pos1-0-oc192.wcg.net [64.200.210.178]
9 25 ms 26 ms 26 ms 64.200.249.170
10 26 ms 25 ms 25 ms hrndva1wcx1-rackspace-gige.wcg.net [64.200.88.50]
11 25 ms 25 ms 25 ms vlan901.core1.iad1.rackspace.com [69.20.1.10]
12 25 ms 24 ms 28 ms aggr6a.iad1.rackspace.com [69.20.2.23]
13 27 ms 27 ms 27 ms 207.97.195.229

Trace complete.

Not that I know what I’m talking about, but it seems that the longest response time is at the SD IP itself.

So there! Jerks!

Tell it brother.

READ THE STICKIES.

I did. I understand that it’s slow and why that happens. But for me, it’s often completely non-operational for large periods of time. That’s not just slow, it’s “not working.”

I was really just curious to see if it was a common thing or if maybe someting specific was happening at my end.

Can you please either answer my question or take your thread-shitting somewhere else? No one forced you to click on thread.

There was just a thread on this a few days ago: Yeah, I know it's been done to death, but... - About This Message Board - Straight Dope Message Board. People are making fun because this has been discussed a lot lately.

A Pit thread that I started about this and some other issues is still active here: It's been nearly six months, TubaDiva, where is the "more better stuff" you promised? - The BBQ Pit - Straight Dope Message Board

Oh, ok. I usually just scan the first couple of pages for titles involving the subject I’m going to post about, and missed this one for obvious reasons.

If the thread’s a repeat, then the mods can lock or delete it at their discretion ( I won’t take it personally).

I’ll take this over to your pit thread, probably. Thanks.

Okey Dokey. Sometimes it is really really really slow for me, too. Apparently, sometimes it is really really really slow for many posters. So slow that it is not worth the trouble trying to do the intraweb/interface thingy.

Link.
No thread shitting intended. Sorry you took it that way.

That’s the sticky I saw, but I didn’t get the impression that the boards would be often unusable, as they are for me, and as I know see they are for other people as well from hajario’s pit thread. That’s why I asked.

Usually, when a site I’m using is slow, it just loads slowly over a few moments, which is fine. But the Dope just stops. Completely. And, it’s unique for me in that aspect, which is why I was curious about it.

I guess I overreacted with the thread shitting comment. Sorry about that.