The SDMB Ex-Smoker’s club, 2001 edition

Best of luck to all of you- if y’all can do it, maybe I’ll be able to do it. When I’m ready. Which I lie to myself about being any day now.

But I’m down to half a pack a day, so that’s something, right? Right?
Anyways. Warmest wishes, and best hopes.

Been over 20 years.

I quit cold turkey.

I was smoking two packs a day at the time.

The hardest part of your journey is just getting started.

Remember you’ve already done the hard part.

Don’t let one weak moment ruin all your hard work.

I quit and started several times before I realized what I just told you.

Frankly speaking the urge to smoke doesn’t go away. It does lessen in intensity.

Now sometimes I get close enough to someone that smokes and can’t believe the smell. It is in your clothes, hair,and breath.

Hang in there. You’re all tough enough.

Someone please figure out how much money I’ve saved.

justwannano, I figured that the average price for cigarettes for 20 years was $1.50. At that rate you have not smoked 292,223 cigarettes, at a savings of $21,916.73.

Very nice.

Today was pretty easy, since I had one of those busy days when I probably wouldn’t have had a chance for a smoke anyway.

But since I did so good anyway, I rewarded myself by getting my motorcycle learner’s permit. ~2 Weeks till bike buying day, baby!

Tonight, I go out for my birthday. That’ll be tough. Maybe I’ll switch patches before I go.

Way to go, manhattan!

Another step closer to Bad Boy on a Bike. :wink:

Hey Manny

Happy Birthday

Give yourself a present

Don’t have a cigarette

Best of luck

How do people do it? I’m fighting tooth and nail not to smoke. Why are some days so much more harder than others? OH well, thanks for the encouraging words everyone - they really help.

Hey Callie, sorry to not get back to you sooner. Hope you’re still hanging in there. Remember - the actually cravings don’t last longer than a couple of minutes each - you’ve just to hang in there and they’ll pass. Distract yourself - play freecell! Chew gum, fiddle with a pencil, jump up and down, try reading every single topic active in MPSIMS, call a friend, write a story, have a bath, try a facemask, do something else.

I’ve made it to day 14 :smiley: Two weeks smoke-free and i have to say it’s much, much easier now (for me). \i’m thinking about it a lot less and it’s really only bedtimes i’m struggling with now so i wait until i’m really, really tired before going to bed so i know i’ll drop off straight away rather than lying there thinking too much. I came very, very close to having a cigarette on Monday night after i’d been at the whisky and i really did have to sit on my hands and force myself not to smoke. But I did, and i didn’t smoke. So hurrah for me.

Hope everyone else is doing ok. Manny? Arden?

Fran

Heh. Yesterday, after committing to write a very large check, I actually went across the street to the gas station to buy smokes.

But they were out of my brand. So I didn’t have one. I’m glad, but how sick is that? Not only am I addicted to nicotine, I’m addicted to a specific brand of the stuff.

And here’s something weird. Since I’ve quit, I find that I keep forgetting to eat lunch. Then of course I get all hungry at about 3:30. Is this happening to anyone else?

heh. Writing very large checks does not make me want a cigarette. Something else, yes.

I’m also brand-specific addicted. I won’t smoke anything else. Which was inconvient as hell because not every place carries my brand, but now it makes it easier.

Why it would make you forget to eat lunch, manhattan, I have no clue. I wish it did that to me!

I’m down to 5 of my itty-bitty Capris a day. Yesterday I didn’t have one until the kids came home and started fighting.

Ya know what? I have never wanted a cigarette after sex. Don’t know why - just never did. Maybe it has something to do with my mouth being dry… Anyway, maybe that was TMI…

Well lets see… day 27 has gone relatively well. No major cravings to report - so that is definately a good thing. I can’t believe I’ve almost made it a month.

How are you doing Francesca? You sound like a very strong person!

Can’t believe you almost bought a pack manhattan! But you know you’re right - I’m addicted to a specific brand too. My brand is all over the place though- advertised everywhere… I always bought my cigs by cartons and my rule was that I wouldn’t pay over $20 per carton. I abided by that rule until the very end - when it was impossible to find them for less than $20.99. I would buy 3 and 4 cartons at a time… Anyway - I’m glad that I haven’t seen any advertised lately for less than $24.00.

Ok - I’m just rambling now so I’ll stop…

Good luck everyone.

I’m glad this thread exists. I have been smoke-free for two months and twenty one days. I quit cold turkey after smoking for nearly fifteen years. No patches, no gum. I just decided I was finished. The thing that stopped me was my good friend, and fellow Doper, super_head’s wager to me. He bet me $100 that couldn’t quit for one year. The magic date is February 5, 2002. He upped the bet tonight to $200, with the the understanding that $100 must be spent on a party on my anniversary date. You are all, of course, invited, and I promise that the beer will flow freely.

If the language of this post is stilted and awkward, it’s because I’m drunk off my ass, and I STILL didn’t smoke. Now that’s dedication. :slight_smile:

Thanks callie. Yeah, i can be quite a strong-willed person when i want to be. Sometimes that’s good, sometimes it’s bad ;). I think the key here is that I genuinely want to give up. I’ve tried many times before but that was for my SO (who is very anti-smoking) and the fact that i was being forced into it meant that it was bound to fail. But this time i have a choice - he’s taken a step back, admitted that there’s nothing he can say or do to make me stop or otherwise and so I am doing this because I choose to. That sounds like he’s using reverse psychology doesn’t it? Let’s just say he stopped nagging me a year ago and it’s taken this long for me to quit, so he’s either very patient and wise or he really did give up. I’m thinking he really did give up, bless him.

I noticed a good side-effect yesterday - I went to the gym and I’m suddenly super-fit! I had to work twice as hard to get my heartbeat up to my target rate. Came away feeling quite chuffed.

According to the About.com smoking cessation site, during the 2 weeks - 3 months after you quit your circulation improves, walking becomes easier and your lung function increases up to 30%. Not sure where the stats are from but it’s a good site generally and i’m inclined to trust them. Callie - here’s a page of articles on how to deal with the cravings and urges.

Anyway, day 15 and no sign of bad trouble. I live with my parents and my mother smokes and watching her go outside for a smoke is kind of weird now. On the one hand, it might be nice. On the other hand she’s addicted to something. I don’t want to be chained to anything. My SO will be here for the weekend and I’m looking forward to spending a weekend with him when i’m not going through nicotine withdrawal (I could never smoke in front of him so i’d always be suffering withdrawal while he’s here). Having him here also distracts me, so i have a no-danger weekend. Hurrah.

Have a good weekend. Manny, Callie and everyone else who’s quitting - we rock. Yes we do.

Fran

AAArrrrgggghhhh… I just found a pack in my apt. :eek:

I think I won’t
I think I won’t
I think I won’t…
<said like that little train in that childrens book>
It’s really kind of funny - I couldn’t even touch it. I treated it like it was poison. :slight_smile: So, it is still sitting in the cabinet. OH what to do, what to do???

Flush 'em, callie!

They gotta go. Opportunity = temptation.

Flush them. Dump them directly from the pack into the toilet, without touching them.

Then let them sit there for a while, because they will start to look really disgusting and make you not want to smoke.

Then flush.

Do not even give the Marlboro miles to a friend. Toss the packaging.

You can do this.

Manhattan, just took a peek at your birthday present. Don’t see many of those around these parts. An Italian hog. Very cool. Well deserved.

The reason I am back in this thread snooping around is my boss just informed me that I am going back into the Freedom From Smoking business. So now I get to spend my days telling grown adults to do their jobs and my evenings with grouchy nicotine addicts.

Actually, it’s kinda fun.

Be careful on that thing!

Well - thanks for the advice guys. I haven’t done anything with them as of yet… Haven’t even looked at them again. I’m not really craving one right this moment -but - I know how that works… I don’t think I can bring myself to flush them though (too much money going down the toilet) - maybe I will give them to my sister on Sunday, or maybe to my next door neighbor (although he isn’t home right now…)

If I get the urge to smoke one - I’ll just visit one of Francescas links again. Thanks by the way! And if that doesn’t work - then I will flush them.

Funny you should mention miles manhattan - the night before I quit - I spent a couple of hours cutting and counting those damn things and picking out things from the catalogue - I sent them in the morning that I quit. Sadly enough - I had enough miles to get a cd player, a blanket, a travel alarm, and a lantern/flashlight. It had been a few years since I had gotten anything… Yea - thats my excuse and I’m sticking to it… :smiley:
Have a great weekend everyone.

Oh - and Arden Ranger - your offer sounds like lot more fun than mine was from my parents. I think you need to share some more info. So - whatever it was - um - did you accept? :smiley:

heh.

Yep.

:smiley: