The SDMB gets fuxxored. Where do you go?

I’d go join my intellectual equals over at 4chan.

Down the steet to do an Anna Karinia under the train tracks. What more would there me to live for?

Well on the other hand if I get the first pick of the male interns I *might * not throw myself under a train.

I’m surprised no one has suggested we start a clone of this board, using the same concepts, mods, admins, etc. Not that it would be a big moneymaker, but maybe it could be made self-sustaining for the general good of mankind?

'nother vote for Nads. Especially now that git Kal has stopped posting so much.

I go back to the forum that I run, Out of Spaced. It’s small, but perfectly formed. :slight_smile:

Where’s Captain Sock’s board?

You’re welcome to come over to my board, if you can put up with being around a bunch of urban planners. (The Friday Afternoon Club subforum is like a cross between GD, MPSIMS and IMHO. The median user age is thirty-something, so the demographics are definitely grown-up.) Personally, though, I’d probably split my attention between Unaboard, Fathom and Skip’s Magic Board, and see which one becomes the de facto SDMB replacement.

I thought about it, but I’d be stepping onto the turf of the other SDMB spinoffs. It’s already enough of a challenge running one somewhat busy Web site. Maybe a co-op of sorts?

These are some of the other sites I visit almost daily:

http://forums.offtopic.com

http://www.jtcent.com <— shameless plug

Depressing to see how many Dopers would take off. Why not stick around for a while and drive the barbarians out? Maybe even convert a few. Fight some ignorance. It would be fun.

I HEARD THAT MAN DIDN’T GO TO DA MOON!!! COS THE SHADOWS IS WRONG!!! AND IT WAS ALL FLIMED IN DA DESSERT!!!

WHY IS DA GUVERNMENT HIDING THIS!!!

PLEASETHANKSKBYE!!!11111oneone

“If you’re lonely
And need a friend
And troubles seem like
They never end
Just remember to keep the faith
And love will be there to light the way”

• Mariah Carey AND IT IS SO TRUE LOL!

ew that felt dirty
:wink:

Only if I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER KTHKSBYE.

SUPRISE BUTTSECKS

Oh, well. Now I undertstand. I’ll leave straightaway. :wink:

But really, I wouldn’t leave even if there were plenty of asinine threads floating around. Big deal. You don’t have to participate in those threads, and people who use nintey point fonts eventually will get bored stiff with discussions about airplanes on treadmills, the chemical composition of snot and the possibility that physics might be considered terrifically “wrong” if two balls, otherwise identical but different in color, fall from a tower at different speeds. Or better yet, some of them will get interested in the chemical composition of snot, and develop an understanding of what the Dope is about.

All I’m saying is don’t just give up immediately. Cripes.

I’d definitely say Something Awful, the main forum General Bullshit, is normally frikkin hilarious though it sometimes go’s through phases of being crap. And the debate and discussion forum is pretty good as well, and since it doesn’t have the mission statement of fighting ignorance posters that talk nonsense can just be banned. Well that or constantly ridiculed till they get driven away, either works.

And it also has a plethora of knowledgeable post in the various subforums ‘Serious Software/hardware crap’ is always pretty interesting and whatever you’ve ever wanted to know about HDTV’s is in a stickied thread at the top of the ‘A/V Arena’ (stands for Audio visual).

I’d also say that it probably has a wider spectrum of posters then even this place, or maybe people here just don’t talk about themselves as much :slight_smile:

Sounds good in theory. But my experience with “democratically run” companies is they degenerate with infighting. Something like this needs a strong top and control organization to hold it together.

If this place gets really bad—and none of the old regulars stick around—then I’d probably leave. Threads like this make it less likely that something like that would happen though. The new owners, if they have any brains at all, won’t mess with what works, especially when at least a few of us are pretty vocal about not wanting certain things.

I don’t visit any other forums. This is the only place that’s kept my attention for long. Even here, I don’t like getting into arguments and the social things are very secondary. At some other boards, that’s all there is: arguing, ego-stroking, and cliques. Oh yeah, and no attention to spelling, grammar, or even intelligibility.

If it’s not fun to read threads, and I don’t get the feeling people are paying attention to what I write, there’s no point in coming anymore. I wouldn’t make a big deal out of it, I’d just stop posting and not renew next time.

'Tis true, thinking of it.

Stalin? Is that You? :smiley:

In honesty i generally agree with you, but think it often depends on the size of the thing.

Stalin has left the building. This is Bush III. :slight_smile:

Sorry, I wasn’t listening. You were saying something?

Is that the one where he gets released from prison to find a bunch of POWs in Vietnam, or the one where he has to rescue his boss from Afghanistan?

Ha, I know you weren’t listening 'cause you misspelled my username :wink: