The SDMB gets fuxxored. Where do you go?

Actually, I wouldn’t go anywhere. I’d stay here and be a bastard, for a while anyway.

I’m already there…as well as here. I’m a member of a whole bunch of other boards that are run by other members of this one.

Metafilter, hands down.

Well, ok, I found this place through there, but the topical conversations on the Blue are head and shoulders above this place.

Man, that’s a tough one. I suppose I’d return to the only other web home I’ve ever known: flyertalk.com and segue over to the OMNI forum (since I don’t do the frequent flyer thing any more).

But the lack of control and intelligence sometimes would just get to me. Not that everyone in that thread is “challenged” just that a lot are. I guess I’d eventually end up doing as suggested above, rejoin the real world and sell my computer.

Or something.

Dang You! As if I don’t have enough to keep me awake at night, you add this!

Same thing TroubleAgain said:- I’m already elsewhere anyway.

Most notably the NADS Messageboard - which started out as an SDMB off-shoot anyway

It’s largely Anglo-Irish with the inherent humour and cultural implications which that brings, but then so am I. :smiley:

I suspect that NADs would acquire a few more American members than it currently has should the dreaded Dopocalypse occur, but that’s never been an issue before and there are a fair few upstart colonials over there already.

Abso-frikkin-lutely.

i loves me the Blue as well.

Can I ask for the url of the Blue (I tried the obvious www.theblue.com and got nowhere). Just in case the worst happens. TIA.

Yah. I’m one of 'em. And you lot don’t usually give me too much crap about it. :cool:

Also: the Unaboard, the pjeoq a66assaw, G’Dope, Skip’s Magic Board and Captain Socks’s new board.

And I’m also on LJ. All with the same user name.

Sorry - that’s winewhore and my fault. “The Blue” is one of the terms used by MeFites to refer to Metafilter.

mea culpa, mon amigo, mea culpa… :smiley:

We pretend you’re Canadian. You’re far too polite to be one of the damn rebels.

Not French-Canadian though obviously :eek: :wink:

The Straight Dope is where I came when the once great Science and Religion board at New York Times.com got shut down after an influx of the type of people that Diceman is worried about.

If the Dope rolled up the sidewalks, I don’t know where I’d go.

Another lover of MetaFilter here. garius has continued the age-old tradition of stealing the best stuff from MeFi’s front page and posting it on NADS.

I’ve never been to the Something Awful forums, but my ASSumption is that the whole thing is like The Pit here. Am I wrong?

Someone had to step up to the plate and do it after you stopped posting so much. :wink:

I’m already elsewhere, at an NZ-based board. I pop by NADS and Unaboard as well – but dang. I’d really miss the Dope if it went to the pack. :frowning: May that not happen.

Some of the forums are quite good, such as the TV forum and a separate Film forum.

There are very many, many utter garbage forums thrown into the mix, full of simpletons who keep getting banned, then wasting money to rejoin again and again (That’s allowed there despite the $10 cost) until they eventually manage to get Permabanned.

The Debate and Discussion forum there is not too bad but at least one of the three moderators should be Permabanned in his own right. Every time someone starts a thread on economics you can be sure to see him totally shit up the thread with a series of Marxist inspired, witless and economically illiterate one liners.

On the plus side:

1. Horrible, writhing avatars can easily be made invisible.
  2. Autobanned if you start a thread “hey, I heard 9/11 was an inside job.” (I wish all boards used the ban stick for that).
  3. Banned if trying to plug Scientology.
  4. Banned (or is it probated for a week? depends on the Mod whim) if you use any one of a series of worn out unfunny lines eg. “why do you hate America.”
  5. Mods keep a tight control over derails. If you look at the current SDMB thread on “WTF is happening in Libya” (re the released kidnapped Bulgarian nurses) it was quickly and permanently transformed to an AIDS in Africa thread, where it remains stuck. That would never be allowed to happen on SA. There would be at least two or three bans or probations issued

On the minus side

1. Cannot get rid of adverts.
  2. I don’t like the people much. Just as an example, last time I checked “Debate and Discussion”, a serious forum, there was a thread on the South Korean captive murdered by the Taliban and the general consensus of the posters was “serve him right”. However, maybe you’ll find that they’re your cup of tea.

I’d go where only L33t is spoken, combined with ridiculously abhorrent grammar. A place where there is rampant use of avatars and an unwavering lack of concern about world events, science, technology, or anything remotely cultural.
So that pretty much leaves it open.

The Whitehouse?

Bingo!

So we all meet at the Whitehouse when the SDMB goes down. Check.

I get first pick of the interns.

I couldn’t imagine going anywhere else. I’d never been to another board before the SDMB, and the few I’ve checked out since then are pretty much populated with the type of whirling d*ckheads everyone comes here to avoid.
I don’t even know if there is anything out there to even compare with SDMB. I guess I’d check out some of the suggestions made here.

One question–we seem to have done a pretty good job of self-policing this board up till now–how would new ownership change that? Doesn’t the subscription fee pretty much keep out the ignoramuses? Or am I being naive?