The Second Annual Blood Drive Challenge!

I always used to be rejected for low iron. It was very depressing. Then the technician told me to eat a box of raisins just before coming. I always eat two just to be sure, and I’ve never been rejected since. I don’t know anything about how long it takes iron to get into your bloodstream, so maybe it’s just coincidence, but for what it’s worth, low-iron ladies, you might want to try it.

Yeah, yeah. I’m ONeg too, but I can’t donate until around the first part of April because of travel I did for my last job.

But I’ll go then, I promise. My iron is always great…they love my blood, when they can have it.

Strangely enough, I just started taking multi-vitamins yesterday, so there’s a chance in hell that I’ll have enough iron to donate by Valentine’s day.

I’ll check back in with the hematocrit results then.

I donated blood on December 18, so assuming there’s an opportunity for me to donate during the second week of February, I’ll just squeak in under the wire.

I’m O-neg also, so I try to give often.

Well, we’re having a blood drive at work on January 21st, and I was planning on giving it a shot anyway. I, too, have low iron and can’t stomach the supplements. But I’ll try Alto’s suggestion and have a box or two of raisins before I go.

Wish me luck.

“Sit and drink pennyroyal tea.
I’m anemic royalty.”
-Nirvana

CrankyAsAnOldMan and I were talking just the other day about going to donate blood. I even went out and bought iron supplements, because I am afraid of being too anemic to donate. We will have to get off our asses and meet the challenge!

Going to miss it by ten days. My next time is on the 24th of Feb. Did six pints in 2002. I like giving blood. It’s like being an organ donor without the surgery.

I’m AB+, so they probably need my blood the least. I won’t be able to donate in the next month since it’s too soon after my last, but I’ll definately be donating again in the next few months.

Dave and I are eligible to donate again on January 24. For some reason, the iron requirements in the US are lower than in Canada, so there was no doubt they’d take me here! Yay!

But. I still eat the spinach. Bleah.

Spinach is yummy! I usually it fresh, like in a salad or a sandwich or something. Boiled spinach glop is pretty nasty.

Happy little iron-rich Type A reporting for duty.

Yay for blood! I gave on December 20, so I can give again on Valentine’s Day! That’ll be a fun thing to do in the spirit of the holiday. :slight_smile:

And at least I got an A+ on something… Even if it was just my blood-grouping!

I was all set and ready to go donate on my last full free day at home last week (college student, end of winter break). I just had to take a shower…then my grandparents call wanting to take me out to lunch. While I wouldn’t have minded skipping out on the disapproving looks as I rattled off the philosophy courses I’d be taking, I do generally enjoy their company and think it’s important to visit with them. Besides, being grandparents, they were quite adamant about the whole thing.

-Anyway-

Never did make it out to the donation place, as I had other plans lined up after that as well.

But at least this way I can jump in on the group donation thing. Yay! I think we’re due for one of the frats to host a blood drive around here pretty soon…

My church has a “blood drive” the first week of January and the first week of July every year, so I gave on January 6. I won’t be eligible again until after your deadline.

I think that donating on Jan 6 includes me in, but if not…I do it regularly anyway, so I expect that is the main thing.

I support this effort, Opal…THANK YOU!!!

I just got bad news :frowning:
Because of my surgery, I’m never allowed to donate blood [I can’t absorb iron–or anything–like I could pre-surgery] . I’ll still try to rally the troops, however! I figure that if I get 5 people to donate who might not have otherwise, I’ve replaced my own lack of donation five times over, yes?

YES.

Someone go donate twice for me, 'cause the rules prohibit them taking blood from fags.

Even healthy fags.

:frowning:

That’s a gimme. I’m scheduled to give at noon tomorrow.

Feb 14th just happens to be the date that I’ll be eligible to donate again. I won’t promise to go on that exact date, but I’ll go within a few days.

I am donating Feb. 12th!!!