The single absolute stupidest argument you've ever seen online

Anything Grakthis has ever said. I see there there’s a couple of regular readers of Magic The Gathering boards in this thread, so they probably know who he is.

My hope is that he’ll stumble on this while vanity searching himself.

I made the mistake of doing this. I think I need to go lie down or claw my brain out through my nose or something.

I jest about the flashbacks. I like math. I mean, yes, I’d probably kick Isaac Newton in teh balls if I were transported back in time and met him, but said felonious assault would be DESPITE the calculus, not because of it.

I have a different name there, and you don’t need to be a good writer on YouTube to make your point.

I’ve had some of the dumbest arguments in my life there. Topping any bar-room debate I’ve ever had.

And if this example doesn’t define stupid, we need new defininition of the word.

“The Mamas and the Papas V. The Fifth Dimension.”

Of course, The Mamas and the Papas. No contest, really.

My opinion is not stupid. Just the argument.

I’m so sorry. I originally appended a warning that the thread in question would be, ah, special, but decided that could be seen as my trying to dodge the issue. If you’re not a geology geek it’s horrible, and if you ARE a geology geek it’s worse because of TOZ’s lame-brainity.

I like geology; it’s interesting and fun. Math stupidity, not so much.

There is a LOT of stupidity in talk.origins. Not that it’s a stupid group, but because it attracts even more nuts the Dope. Imagine if every tenth poster here was badchad.

Whether it’s tacky to order milk in a “fancy” restaurant. I can’t be bothered to find the link.

I’m rather fond of the guy who tried to argue against evolution by positing that it would require a large source of apparently unknown energy:

I won’t link where it came from, but google “creationist almost discovers the sun” for more info.

Oh come on. That’s too funny to not be someone being sarcastic.

ETA: I retract my objection.

Nope. My idiot brother has made the same argument.

A guy and I were arguing on another forum about whether 9/11 was an inside job / conspiracy / whatever. He named various cliched things that have been disproven, I pointed out the one-stop Popular Mechanics article that debunks the claims one by one.

He then told me that Popular Mechanics is owned by a corporation and corporations are controlling everything, including the 9/11 inside job, so of course they’re going to say it wasn’t a conspiracy.

I backed away slowly.

Gah, know one had mentioned my contribution until the dude just above me.

So, yeah, Loose Change and those types are setting a high bar when it comes to stupid arguments. They think that if they can show that there’s one little iota of something that’s not explained exactly to their liking then that’s evidence for their nutso theory.

Just standard arguments for Christianity:

The Bible is right because God said it is, and God is never wrong!

And people really thought that proved their point. It just hurts my head.

The worst one I’ve ever seen was on a cycling board, where there was a convention that you weren’t supposed to “top-post”, i.e. if you quoted a preceding post you should make sure it appeared below what you yourself posted, not above.

Someone posted an obituary of a cyclist who was known to some of the boarders, and one of the people who replied top-posted. A poster who was obsessed by the top-posting rule came galloping out of the woodwork and ranted abusively about it through pages and pages of being told to let it go just this once in view of the subject matter of the thread.

All in all, a horrible derail in a thread that should have been a place for many people on the board to remember a lost friend.

It’s hard to pick just one. The various arguments for religion come to mind.

Another was an argument I and some others had about the character Honor Harrington, with someone who insisted that no woman, fictional or otherwise could win a fight with any man. Despite her being a genetically engineered for strength and speed heavyworlder with a youthful body, decades of martial arts training, and a prosthetic arm with a gun built into it. Nope, she’d lose. :rolleyes:

I was also going to mention the creationist who almost discovered the Sun, but I see Yumblie beat me to it.

Or to go back to the classics; there’s the Old South’s attempt to reconcile the Golden Rule ( do unto others as you would have them do unto you ) with slavery, which amounted to “Well, if I were black I’d want to be a slave; the fact that actual blacks hate it just shows how ungrateful they are !” Yeah, suuuure.

Kirk Cameron’s Banana Theory

Back in the olden days, when I was first exploring some boards, I ran across the following argument: “There must be a soul; otherwise, why would there be a word for it?” Then the next poster agreed with him!

I would have just gone with anything that comes out of Kirk’s mouth.

Bah, you people are mere dilettantes. You haven’t seen the true depths that the internet can sink to until you see debates about whether it’s frosting or icing, or the acrylic versus natural yarn wars, or whether or not Mexicans speak Spanish.