Dumbest Argument Ever?

This is really random, mundane, and pointless, but I was just writing an English paper when I suddenly thought about how the age-old chicken vs. the egg debate is probably the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard. If you don’t know why, you should probably hit the science books pretty hard this weekend. But it did get me to wondering, what IS the dumbest argument/debate/discussion ever? I thought I would pose the question to you guys, for two reasons:

1. You have to appreciate the irony
  2. It beats doing my English paper
    So, any ideas?

The IQ of a group is equal to the IQ of the dumbest member divided by the number of people in the group.

P.S.

No personal affronts, please.

Time travel people, that means you.

I know what you were going to say, so don’t even bother.

The IQ of a group is equal to the IQ of the dumbest member divided by the number of people in the group.

I don’t know about the Great Debates, but the dumbest argument I’ve ever been in personally was with my ex-girlfriend over the relative merits of Ginger and Mary Ann on Gilligan’s Island. The exchange got rather heated. We later realized how incredibly stupid that was and we laughed about that for the remaining three years of our relationship.

We almost had a similar argument about Betty and Veronica of Archie comics…but saw the absurdity of that in time to just laugh at ourselves before it got very far.

Well, beyond most of Great Debates not to mention the majority of Usenet…

“Drink your coffee! Remember, there are people sleeping in China.”

Dennis Matheson — dennis@mountaindiver.com
Hike, Dive, Ski, Climb — www.mountaindiver.com

What’s better? Star Trek or Star Wars? Or who would win in a fighte between Superman and Godzilla? And any other comic fanboy bollocks like that.

“Vyvyan! Where did you get that Howitzer?” “…I found it.”

The Legend Of PigeonMan - updates every Wed & Sat

Any and all religion debates. You’re not going to change anybody, and you know nobody’s going to change you, so why bother?

White Wolf

“Death is the only inescapable, unavoidable, sure thing. We are sentenced to die the day we’re born.” -Gary Mark Gilmore

http://www.straightdope.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000461.html

which song is better, freebird, stairway, or hotel cali.

All this science, I don’t understand. It’s just my job 5 days a week-- Rocketman

I can’t believe nobody has mentioned MPSIMS yet! :wink:

Oh, that’s where we are… :o

Most arguments that have the word “ever” in it. Oh, I guess this one qualifies :slight_smile:

“My guitar is my first wife. It doesn’t scream at me. It screams for me.” SRV

Once, I got into a rant to two friends about how I hate ambiguous words, that is, words that have more than one definition, where the listener is never going to know which one is being used. I was asked for an example. I said, how about biannual?

One of my friends said, “Biannual isn’t ambiguous. It means twice a year and everyone knows that!”

The other said, “No no no. Biannual means once every two years. Everybody knows that.”

I said, “Here’s the exact problem. We could use words like biennial or semi-annual, which are non-ambiguous, but reasonable people differ about what biannual means. Sure, it meant one specific thing originally, but now it has become ambiguous through misuse.”

“It’s not ambiguous, it means once every two years.”

"No, twice a year.

This went on for way too long until I gave up. I kind of would have preferred to referee a duel to the death between the two of them, though.

Nothing I write about any person or group should be applied to a larger group.

• Boris Badenov

I went to a summer-long program for the arts this summer, and since we were sequestered on a college campus the entire time, people really got on each other’s nerves and these two close friends got in a week long argument over whether contradiction could be used as a symnonym for oxy moron.

How about this argument?

An argument isn’t just contradiction.
Well! it CAN be!
No it can’t!

J’ai assez vécu pour voir que différence engendre haine.
Stendhal

Alright, alright. You win, Arnie.

Got into a screaming match one time with a friend of mine who insisted that Seattle couldn’t be in the Pacific Northwest 'cause it was on the East Coast of the Pacific.

JB
Lex Non Favet Delictorum Votis