The site needs more bandwidth

Could there be a check box added so we can say we are buying some stuff to support?

A check box added where?

I think the dopers would raise the forty grand. There has never been an answer about what would/could happen if the 40G were raised. Is it enough? Nearly? No way?

Some posters have taken issue with others who post about slow board speed. I don’t think trying to find a way to improve things is in any way “disloyal” to the SDMB. The fact is, there are extended time periods when this board times out, or else “waits” for several minutes before responding. This is frustrating, and takes a lot of the fun out of it.
Lets try to pull together to find a way to improve things.

My .02 worth. Oh yeah, I’ll chip in $40, if or when the time comes.

I think that yojimbo means a checkbox on the “buy stuff” page, so that the PtB will know that it’s specifically because of the message board that people are buying stuff. As opposed to them thinking, say, “Wow, we’ve got so many people buying things that we don’t even need the message board!”, or something.

That’s where we differ Chronos. I thought that yojimbo meant an indicator field under the username in the thread display so we would know if a user has contributed to the board.

Until John Carter of Mars clued me in, I had no idea that it was so looked down upon to complain about the slow sever, or considered disloyal. I was wondering why people were being so short with me. I apologize for bringing up a sensitive subject, but can I ask just one last question? What is disloyal about wanting to want to improve this message board?

I didn’t notice anybody looking down on you, cainxinth, but, as we say in the FAQ, this issue has been discussed many many times, at great length, so those that have seen the dicussion so frequently might be tired of it.

I miss smashie…

What Arnold Winkelried said. I don’t think anyone considers it disloyal. I think it’s been hashed, re-hashed, corn-beef-hashed, and it’s the same every time. Until the Reader shows a single scintilla of interest in working with us on the slow server issue (I’m not being ungrateful here – I think they’re great just for doing what’s necessary to keep the board running at all. If I were them, I wouldn’t spend any extra funds on us either.), I really don’t think there’s much we can do.

But that’s just me, and I could be wrong.

astro, if you don’t quit picking at it, it will never heal. :frowning:

(I miss him, too…)