To the mods, Tuba (or Cecil if he wants to answer)

Is the problem with this board bandwidth or server capacity?

It always slows down about 10AM EST, and stays very slow throughout the afternoon. Are we exceeding the available bandwidth for the site, or is the server hardware overloaded?

If it is the hardware, I have some ultra fast stuff to donate. If it is bandwidth, can we take up a collection to help?

O

Vidi Vici Veni!

This kind of question belongs over in ATMB, but I’ll give some input anyway. The problem, as I understand it, is the server’s capacity. It can not handle the database lookups. I don’t think the bandwidth is the problem. Of course, if the server could keep up, then the bandwidth might become the limiting factor.

As far as donating hardware, email Ed Zotti, he might be interested. As far as collection, this has been kicked around a few times lately and basically the word is “can’t do it” (ok, that’s 3 words).

Jim

What server and platform is this BBS running on?

I happen to have a Dell PowerEdge 1300 available, with onboard U2W SCSI that can be configured for RAID very easily and cheaply. I would donate the basic server for free, and would also donate my consultation and configuration time.

O

If you seriously have something that would help, contact Ed Zotti. I don’t think anyone has ever said exactly what hardware they have, so I don’t know. You might contact Jerry Davis to see if what you have would be of benefit.

Jim

Over to About This Message Board. And thanks.

your humble TubaDiva
Administrator

I emailed Ed Zotti from home, and will do so from work as well.

O

Ed gets tons of email . . . most of which he never has the chance to get to. Nothing personal.

I’ll see what I can do to get your question answered.

your humble TubaDiva
Administrator