The Six Million Dollar Makeover

In my nanotech thread (http://www.straightdope.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/001566.html), I pointed out the strides that nanotechnology has made in this year alone. It seems like true cybernetics might just be a reality in the next few decades.

My question is, if you had the chance, would you “chrome up”?

I’m basing this on ideas introduced in cyberpunk fiction, like The Diamond Age and Robocop.

I’d be willing to go for unobtrusive enhancements, via nanites. I’d like enhanced reflexes and strength.

I’d also like to get my vision enhanced, with infra-red and ultraviolet capabilites.

Finally, I’d consider getting some hardware in my brain, like extra memory. With a plug-and-play socket in my neck, temple, or wherever, I’d be able to install data files like maps, Basic language skills, and general data. Of course, viruses would be extra dangerous…

So, how about it? How much of yourself would you be willing to “cut and paste?”

You say “cheesy” like that’s a BAD thing.

Hmmm. Let’s try that link again.
http://www.straightdope.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/001566.html

hmmmm…well no I wouldn’t…but…anything would be an improvement on you

< groans out loud >

Hi, ultress. Welcome to the SD.

Just so everybody knows, she isn’t a troll. This is just her twisted way of saying “hi” to me.

Note to Self:

Science-fiction threads suck the pipe…

Yeah, I think I’d like a complete makeover. All the women in the neighbourhood would be pissed, though.

Any chance for X-Ray vision? Sure would come in handy at the blackjack table.

Yeah, I know. It’s a serious question.
So megabyte me. :wink:

I have lots of willpower.

I’m just too strong to be a slave to it.

Carl (fiancé) plays a game called Shadowrun. His character has all kinds of neat things like enhanced memory and math skills, and things that increase his speed and agility. I would opt for anything that made me smarter, as lon as I could be sure of how any kind of brain implants would (or wouldn’t) affect my personality.

Cessandra

My Homepage
The RHPS: Website For Virgins
Both Updated More Often Than This Sig

Well, considering that I’ve loved gymnastics, martial arts, and boxing ever since I was a child, but we never had the money to afford it, I would go Matrix and get a flash data card in the back of my head to upload basic and advanced fighting moves and tecniques from all major and minor forms of self defense and offense. I don’t need to do the olympic style gymnastics, I want to be able to do front and back flips, do the laying-to-standing leap, and other neato shit like that.

–Tim

We are the children of the Eighties. We are not the first “lost generation” nor today’s lost generation; in fact, we think we know just where we stand - or are discovering it as we speak.

Oh yeah, I forgot. My vision is horrible. Definately I’d go with telescopic/microscopic vision. Maybe X-ray, but it’d be too tempting to use on girls… I say it’s funner to discover what’s under there for yourself.

–Tim

We are the children of the Eighties. We are not the first “lost generation” nor today’s lost generation; in fact, we think we know just where we stand - or are discovering it as we speak.

I want a pancreas, and a new left eye. The hell with super-human abilities, how about human abilities.

Definitely new eyes so i can ditch the glasses, and the ability to read into the future would be a plus.

We are, each of us angels with only one wing;
and we can only fly by
embracing one another