THE SOPRANOS 5/23/04 - 'Long Term Parking' (Spoilers)

Yeah, we were cracking up over what an asshole Tony is. No conscience when it comes to his women.

The OTHER funniest line of the evening was when Chrissy was talking with Ade and contemplating what he would do if they went into the witness protection program:

“I’d finally have time to write my memoirs.”

hee hee. I guess the ‘male modeling’ wouldn’t be an option.

I don’t think Tony S is going to war over Tony B - it’s Johnny not respecting Tony.
Tony was willing to hand over his cousin dead, he wanted to do it himself (actually, I expected Christopher, to try to win Tony’s favor again, to volunteer), but he didn’t want him to suffer. Maybe the quick .22 to the back of the head. But Johnny wanted to hand him over to …Phil? was it?. And he had Phil at the conference. Tony took those as a slap. As Johnny meant them to be.

Oh, Christopher, think you could find a better place to ditch the suitcase? And the car - wouldn’t the FBI be checking airport and train lots for Ade’s car? (was it hers? Chris has the H2, the T-bird?). They should have at least noted the car.
I think Ade’s control, if you will, feels guilty. She knows she had Ade in danger. Granted, she’s a druggie, and overlooked at least one murder, but having her killed is more than she deserved. And why was she afarid of the pusher? You think he’s gonna start in a mob club? He stopped dealing there. He probably knows she’s Chris’s fiancee, and Chris is a Soprano … lieutenant? More than a foot soldier.

One thing that strikes me every time is how little fear of the Feds that these mobsters have. Tomy, after learning that Ade has been working with the Feds for a year, calls her himself to tell her about Chris’s “attempted suicide”. Wouldn’t he be afraid that her phone may be bugged? And then Sil picks her up and drives her to the woods. I would think that he’d have done it a little more carefully. I mean, they could be following her. Or they could have GPS on her. I don’t know, it seems that these guys have made it pretty far without really taking the appropriate precautions.

Also, how stupid are the FBI agents? There has been some terrorism related dialogue on the show lately, and maybe this is the producers’ turn to take a jab at the intelligence agencies? Because I can’t believe that any FBI boss would authorize Ade to leave on her own in order to get Chris to flip. Even if there was a chance, I’d have agents outside the apartment at all hours. I mean, they had her by the short and curlies, and they totally blew it.

Yes, a fine episode. The whole reconciliation thing was just vintage for these characters. Carmela, while playing the wounded martyr over Tony’s infidelities, realizes that he has her by the monetary shorthairs, then sells out to him for a piece of property and some business for her father. When they were standing on the piece of land, the sour look on Tony’s face over having to fork out that kind of bread spoke volumes. I’m wondering if once she gets the property, she won’t then dump his ass for good.

The best aspect of this show is how the writers keep the characters true to their natures. There is NO way that Christopher was ever going to the WPP. He’s a psychotic drug-using killer with ambitions to make lots-o-cash and maybe take over the family some day. Redemption is not in his nature. His hystrionics with Ade were more out of concern for his own skin, rather than their long-term relationship.

What kills me is that Carmella gets all pissed off about Tony’s “indiscretions”, but has no problem with the fact he’s a mobster. A killer. A thief.

From what Ade was telling the Feds, she should have been afraid of the pusher. It sounds like he’s a link in a terrorist cell funneling money to a terrorist training camp in Pakistan. That was my thought anyway when he wanted to use her fax machine to send his document…

Feds didn’t seem too interested in that, though :confused:

I think Johnny is still sore over Tony not agreeing to help whack Carmine last season. Now I think he’s gonna make Tony pay, now that he has all the power in NY.

Aaaannnd, an interesting possibility: Didn’t Johnny move to Essex County, NJ somewhat recently? Claiming so he and Ginny could be closer to her family? But maybe Sack’s even more ambitious than we originally thought. Could he be thinking of doing a Joisey take-over?
Happy

Didn’t anybody think “uh oh” when Ade was telling the FBI about Mareesh, the drug dealer from Pakistan, who’s been getting really “religious” lately and sending all his money to “prep schools for boys”?

And why did he really need the fax machine?

I think that’s the point. They’ll eventually find the car abandoned at the airport, with the implication that she fled for parts unknown. The suitcase is gone from the apartment, along with her clothes, also implying voluntary flight. Agreed, Christopher is taking a chance that the suitcase won’t be discovered out in an old field, but ::shrug:: they’ve taken lots of chances in the past.

I don’t understand why I continue to watch the show, fascinated, when there’s not a single likable character. I want them ALL to get what’s coming to them.

Good point. He should assume it was.

Not as strong. She’s always been findable to them. After over a year she hasn’t vanished yet. And being picked up? Sil is the most logical one. She has always seemed closest to him, other than Chris. (The thing with Tony was probably largely awe)

Uh, the Sammy Gravano precedent? Reportedly did…19? killings for Gotti and the like, high up in the hierarchy, turns coat - then gets caught running a million-a-week Ecstasy ring WHILE IN WPP?

She said he was sending money home. She doesn't know the purpose, or even the country (she names everything from like Syria to Pakistan). We DO know he stopped dealing in there. He respected that. And the Mob doesn't exactly worry about due process.  Of course, "praying all the time " COULD be 5x/day, but I think the passport was just a tool to get the guys off the floor, to set up the confrontation in the office. 

From the Life Does Not Imitate Art Dept:

Today’s NY Daily News has a photo from an SPCA fundraiser held yesterday. Drea (Ade) is holding a dog. What was the fundraiser for? So the NYC shelters can become no-kill…

She’s raising no-kill money for the dogs the day she gets “whacked” on HBO.

Too easy. They’ll be looking fast after they find her car, and they can check there quick. If she took any long flight, they can be waiting for her when she lands. Move fast, move light. Assume she has some phony proof. I suggest a commuter train to Manhattan. Go to Penn Station, take Amtrak, where the ID check is cursory, to get a train to DC on the bad proof. From Union Station, either take Metro to Reagan, or better yet, the bus from downtown to Dulles. That’s where you fly. Even better to a hub for some airline (Atlanta? Pittsburgh?) and on to your destination. Even if she needed to use real ID, they are gonna look at NYC/Newark first. And the car stays home. They may catch her, but it gonna be harder. Of course, if she has good proof, hit the LGA Delta shuttle - hourly flghts from NYC to IAD or Boston, and cash and last minute tickets are common at their counters - a lot of business flights. Though passing Ade off as a businesswoman might be hard.

What do you guys think would have happened if Ade had gone to Tony first, with the FBI thing – bypassed Christopher altogether?

Is it totally unrealistic to think that Tony might have found a way around it somehow – maybe use Ade to lead the feds to the competition? But that since Chris knew about it, Tony had no choice?

I want to think that Tony kills only as a last resort, but that’s probably wishful thinking.

I managed to feel some sympathy for Carm until last night.

My girlfriend said the same thing last night. Naturally it’s all fiction, so it’s anyone’s guess, but I don’t think it would have changed the outcome. Maybe Tony would have tried to keep Christopher in the dark to spare him the guilt, but Ade would still be feeding worms or aquatic life. Pussy was one of their (Tony and his inner circle) best friends and they killed him. Why do you think they would spare a skirt who wasn’t a blood relative?

If Idiot Adriana would have gone directly to Tony in this episode, he would have likely capped her right then and there and come up w a story for Christopher. Tony Soprano’s first concern will always be Tony Soprano (exhibit A - the exchange in the hospital w his mistress; exhibit B - beating the hell out of Christopher as he moped about his loss; exhibit C - having his pride wounded in the confrontation with Johnny Sack, when folding his hand and turning over his cousin Tony B would have avoided what looks to be a major battle, and refusing to give up Tony B).

Had she gone to Tony about a month ago, when they seemed to be close to hooking up, maybe she’d have had half a chance.

Adriana, in a show full of dumb-asses, was undoubtedly the dumbest. Her final interview w the FBI group proved it as she defended the murdering drug dealer - ‘he’s really a nice guy and he prays, like, ALL the time.’ Stupid. And now dead. Good riddance, especially since she wouldn’t show the goods.
I love that Sil took her out. It was nice to see him get his hands dirty.

What a great night of HBO programming.

But … they never showed Adriana getting shot or what happened to her body. What if Sil simply shot into the air or in the ground next to her, and told her to get lost (or kept her for a sex slave heh!). That’d be a cool plot twist…

lurkernomore: << They’ll be looking fast after they find her car, and they can check there quick. If she took any long flight, they can be waiting for her when she lands. >>

Huh? I don’t understand. The first point is that they won’t find her car quickly, it was left in long-term airport parking. The main point is that when they DO find her car, they’ll THINK that she used fake ID to escape to somewhere. They won’t go looking for her body. The car and suitcase are red herrings, left by Christopher, so that the Feds will think it’s plausible that she took off. Otherwise, if she just disappears, Christopher is in for much longer grilling, much more intensive investigation, etc.

lurkernomore: << They’ll be looking fast after they find her car, and they can check there quick. If she took any long flight, they can be waiting for her when she lands. >>

Huh? I don’t understand what you’re saying. The first point is that they won’t find her car quickly, it was left in long-term airport parking. The main point is that when they DO find her car, they’ll THINK that she used fake ID to escape to somewhere. They won’t go looking for her body. The car and suitcase are red herrings, left by Christopher, so that the Feds will think it’s plausible that she took off. Otherwise, if she just disappears, Christopher is in for much longer grilling, much more intensive investigation, etc.

Not to be snarky, but this is fiction vs reality. Within the confines of this fictional story, with Ade admitting she told the Fibbies nada, CM had no reason to flip. The character development has been such that this guy wouldn’t do it unless he was in danger of going down hard, nor would it make sense, plot-wise.

LETTERMAN ALERT!

Tonights Dave Letterman show, 11;30 PM
(Today is Monday, 24 May)
Entire cast of Sopranos in the TOP TEN skit. Comes on usually around midnight.

Wow. I guess Christophuh doesn’t have that wedding to pay for anymore.

I’m usually the last one to pick up on the obvious, so they were well into their drive into the ass crack of nowhere before I figured out what was up. My only question–before showing Aide in the car with Silvio, there was a brief clip of her in her own car with her suitcase. Was that in her mind? I didn’t quite get it, otherwise.

At first, I thought that Tony was an idiot for not letting Johnny Sack have Tony B., but I don’t think it was so bad in retrospect. For one thing, doing so would have permanently placed him in the role of Johnny’s bitch. He’s also correct that Johnny has not quite been acting rationally; he’d be foolish to believe that handing Tony B. over will make everything all right. Johnny and Phil are not suddenly going to be less pissed off about the whole mess. The gang war is probably coming, regardless of what happens to Tony B.

That’s OK; this sort of thing needs to happen every five or ten years. Cleans out the bad blood. (With all the Godfather shout-outs in the last few weeks, I’m surprised they haven’t pulled that one out.)