The Sopranos -- 6/3/07 (there will be open spoilers)

Was that Silvio, I thought that was Christopher, a Cleaver promo item or something. Of course, for some reason, Sopranos is always really dark on my TV so it’s hard to make things out.

Slight nitpick, it’s Johhny Sack, as in Sacramoni.

BTW if you go over to hbo.com/sopranos and click on Cast and Crew you can get a short yet in depth bio on each main character.

What did Phil mean about, “no scraps in my scrapbook?”

Oh, and did anyone notice, TWO more pairs of white shoes, come to think of it, I beleive one pair was on Bobby and one was on Silvio (those his weren’t nearly as ‘white’). Wonder if there’s a connection there. Where else did we see them, other then Paulie’s three pairs? They sure have made a point of pointing them out.

He consideres Tony and the NJ crew pretty worthless, and he wants them gone.
OR
When he thinks about his life (his scrapbook) he doesn’t want to be reminded about Tony Soprano, a man who did nothing but make his life more difficult.

Tony’s pretty much screwed at this point. No real power and two of his top men gone. Maybe that’s how it is going to end, Tony running away and cowering for his life.

The train symbolism was a bit heavy. We get it, all going off the rails etc.

AJ is worthless but Robert Iler has improved a lot as an actor in my eyes.

The scene with Bogdanovich was not believable. The scene with Melfi - same, even more so. Over the top and had a nightmarish quality. Sil was killed far too easily. It was not believable…

Was all this a dream?

I don’t think it was all a dream, but I agree that the scenes with Elliot and Melfi were kind of surreal. By the way, isn’t Elliot such a wonderfully detestable character? Christopher Walken was supposed to play him originally, but I’m glad that didn’t happen - too recognizable, and Bogdanovich’s portrayal is so thoroughly offputting.

I don’t think Sil was killed too easily. I never thought of him as being one of the more hardass guys - he’s kind of out of shape and was always more comedic than intimidating. Patsy, on the other hand, has a quiet menace to him and is a resilient bastard - him surviving the gun battle was believable, even if he had to run away. Carlo and Paulie are the real heavy hitters of the crew.

Sil’s not dead.

It’s a possibility that it’s this is all a dream and that Tony is still in a coma from when Chrissy rolled his car. It was very subtly implied during that episode.

As for Melfi, she was panicking and just wanted him out of the office and out of her life.

Well said.

I love it when they show that “legitimate” people can be just as dickish in their way. Like that lawyer with the lakefront house a few seasons ago.

Who was the guy killed in the first scene?

Am I reading too much into the way that, when Tony got onto the bed, holding the gun, for one brief moment the barrel was pointed at his mouth?

Now Bobby’s kids have no natural parents. And they’re stuck with Janis. :frowning:

ETA: I actually liked the train scene. And I was rooting for Patsy to get away. Sil, I can’t feel entirely bad about. Bobby, I feel really bad about. And Paulie WOULD live. He’s a vampire.

I highly doubt that this show is going to do the “It was all a dream” St. Elsewhere mumbo jumbo. When exactly was it “subtly implied” that Tony was in a coma from the car accident?

Wasn’t the guy killed in the first scene Bert “who was playing both sides”. “Measures have been taken”.

Also, the guy Sil (RIP) whacked in the beginning was wearing WHITE SHOES. We know Paulie has them too… but not Tony.

Suddenly I want to go through the last season and look to see who has white footwear, since it seems to equal death…

What I thought he meant was that New Jersey was being fed the scraps of the New York Family (i.e. they’re a small-time crew who have been tolerated), but Phil isn’t about to continue letting them feed off those scraps.

And Paulie was right - If Tony manages to take down Phil, isn’t he just going to face retribution from the other four families? Don’t they look after one another? And Paulie said that Phil was more popular ‘back home’, and they’d be facing down a never-ending stream of hitmen from Italy if they took him out. Going after Phil kind of has a ‘going out in a blaze of glory’ feel to it.

Near the end, someone said “I don’t think Sil’s going to wake up” or words to that effect. I’d be surprised if we see him again.

RE: Tony’s cousins coming back to help, prediction: Furio is going to whack Phil.

Yeah, but after Tony found out that Carmella and Furio had hearts for each other, Furio left the country one step ahead of the hit Tony put on him. I think he can’t even leave Naples, much less Italy. It’s possible that Tony hates Phil enough to waive that sentence, but I think it’s too late in the game to bring in anyone else.

And it was a grave mistake to import people for Phil’s hit. That was way. too. important. a job. for outsiders. Right away I was thinking, “But they don’t know him! All cats look gray in the dark!”

The flashing sunset when he yelled “I get it”
Flashing lights were a recurring theme during his last coma.

Wasn’t that the AR10 Bobby gave him as a birthday present up at the lake? And was that where he flashed back to being with Bobby in the boat, saying something like, “You never see it coming?”

I’m pretty sure it’s the effect the production team wants from the audience, but over the past few weeks, as the end approaches, I get the feeling that the whole concept is just dissolving away, fading from its glory days, only to leave us with the combination of bitterness and sadness we feel at the death of a loved one. Not with a bang, but a whimper…

Go back and watch the first season, specifically (I think) the first episode. Tony talks about how the whole thing is going downhill, how he feels like his Dad and Uncle and Paulie had it good, it was in it’s hayday, but now, he feels like he joined just as the whole thing was starting to end.
In fact, if you re-watch the first season, you’d be surprised how how planned out this whole thing really was, right from the beginning. There’s things they said in the first season, that still hold true in this season.