The Summer Sequels Boxoffice

No matter how big TVs get, nothing will ever match the big screen experience for some movies. Nothing.

Transformers was pretty good. Die Hard 4 was ridiculously great (and the theater I was in was a great audience, lotta DH fans cheering every action scene). I’ll give you Spider-Man 3, very disappointing.

Overall I’d say this was a pretty fun summer for movies. And I still have to see The Simpsons Movie and Pirates 3 yet.

Maybe not, but it was the biggest grossing summer ever.

I don’t know if that’s adjusted for inflation or not, but regardless, it was very successful for the studios given that they’d seen a decline the year before.

It’s interesting that there wasn’t really one giant dominant force this summer, but lots and lots of solid performers.

4 above 300M.

4 above 175M.

And, then, you had several break 100M that were smaller budget movies. . .Knocked Up for instance, and Sicko and Superbad will make a lot for the studios.

Personally, I thought this summer was pretty good. I really enjoyed Knocked Up, Simpsons, Bourne, Harry Potter.

Didn’t like Sicko too much. Hated Waitress, Hot Fuzz, and Death at a Funeral.

So-so on Sunshine.

(Dang, I guess I saw quite a bit, too).

Hated Transformers. Disappointed in Shrek 3 and Spiderman 3. Mildly surprised by Hairspray, and that I liked Die Hard 4 (had never seen any of the others). Favorite of the summer? Bourne.

Susan

Just saw this last night so I feel like commenting.

While I give it a thumbs up and it was action packed I felt a bit cheated by the thin story line, Bourne tracking down his maker while bad government guys try to kill him, period. No complicated plot or twists? Not that it needed them but it didn’t get much deeper plot wise than DieHard 4.
And even though it was the style and was pretty cool, I felt cheated by the choppy editing shaky-cam. Stunts and fights couldn’t be viewed in their full glory but had to be watched MTV edit style.
And finally the “Bourne meets his maker” scene felt like I had seen it before. Only last time it was Wolverine and Stryker.

Good flick, enjoyed it tremendously, just had a few quirks to keep it from being great.

Why not? Granted, it would take quite an effort but it will happen. Not too long ago no one thought that Gone With the Wind would fall. With the way Hollywood does movie math (total money made is not adjusted for inflation) virtually ensures that records will contine to fall.

I totally 100% disagree with this, and I imagine I’m not alone.

For one thing, from about halfway through the seating to the back, the actual screenspace I am viewing is only slightly larger than my TV when I sit in front of it. And my plasma is one of the medium sized ones - a projector TV on the right wallspace is going to be four or more times as big as that.

But ignoring that aspect, I personally don’t give a rat’s ass about big screens. That’s meaningless to me, I just want to watch the movie and be entertained for a couple of hours, for my $20.

If I am distracted by the horrible smell of popcorn, the annoying idiots who are talking, the irritating use of cellphones in the cinema, the extremely high cost of the junk food available to purchase, the scream of a child’s crying throughout, and the 25 minutes of commercials before the movie begins… Then fuck them, I’m staying at home and getting the DVD.

I’ve seen three movies in the cinema this year so far, deliberately few to avoid the shit I have to put up with - big screen be damned. But approximately thirty movies on DVD (and a lot more TV shows on DVD, but they don’t count in this argument).

I saw fewer movies in the theater this summer than any year I can remember since 1988. I saw Spider-Man 3 (okay), Knocked Up (loved it), Simpsons (okay), Stardust (liked it), and Superbad (loved it). Just happened that I saw all of them on opening day, too.

However, my girlfriend is out of town for a week, so I’m planning to see Die Hard 4, Pirates 3, and Ocean’s 13 this weekend, all at the dollar theater, all by myself. This is pretty much what I do now if she isn’t interested in a movie. :slight_smile: Once Transformers, Bourne 3, and 3:10 To Yuma hit the dollar theater, I’ll be checking them out as well!

No, you’re not. Just Some Guy is with you, too.

You guys can avoid eye contact with each other when you go to your mailboxes to get your Amazon packages, or netflix envelopes, and retire to your couches for a nice evening in, knowing that you won’t be bothered by the horrible smell of popped corn, and secure in the knowledge that you made the right economic decision to get the movie on DVD instead of traveling to the theater.

Some of us – remarkably – still enjoy sharing experiences with those other pink and brown meat-filled bi-peds you can see through your window.

I saw Knocked Up in a packed theater on a Wednesday this year. I might have missed a quarter of the jokes because everyone around me was laughing so much – and, it was the best theater experience of the year. I hope you get as much enjoyment from it at home.

Transformers will not be the same in your house. It just won’t.

Exactly. Just hearing Peter Cullen’s voice echo throughout that big speaker system made me five years old again and remembering back to the first movie I saw in the theaters, the original Transformers cartoon movie.

Geez, Trunk, do you own a movie theater or something? That’s an awful lot of hostility over this.

Lord Ashtar is right that Transformers won’t be the same if I watched it at my house. At my house the projector wouldn’t be underlit and the sound system won’t have the base turned up to the point that it drowns out the the rest of the audio so I would have a better picture and sound.

My real point, though, was that people were rushing out to movie theaters repeatedly at a high cost. I’m kind of curious to see a poll of how many movies people saw over the summer (not here, we’re definitely not a representative sample). I can justify a few trips to the cinema to myself but those numbers are looking more like a large number of people going to the movies eight or nine times over the summer.

$4.2Billion in gross domestic box works out to about 400-500 Million tickets.

There’s about 300 million people in America, not all of movie-going age. So, of the people that saw movies, people had to have seen 2-3.

I saw 9 or so movies that I can remember. Wife saw 9 or 10.

Most people I know saw probably 1-3. People I know with kids saw at least Shrek and Rats, and maybe even Surfs Up.

If that’s the case then the theaters drew in a lot more people who don’t usually go to the movies in order to get the dramatic jump this summer. I’m more inclined to believe that the people who go to movies saw a lot more of them this summer but it is a valid interpretation of the data we have…

Yeah, perhaps.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there were people that saw every one of these

Spiderman 3
Shrek 3
Transformers
Pirates 3
Harry Potter 5
Bourne Ultimatum
Ratatouille
Simpsons

Or at least 6 of them.

They were all pretty well reviewed. I saw 9 movies (and only 3 on that list) without even trying. I actually didn’t feel like I went very often.

There are roughly 20 million people in the US under the age of 5. So (barring any discussion of “those damn babies in the theater!”) let’s assume a maximum movie-going population of 280 million.

Using an average ticket price of $6.75 (a slight increase over 2006’s average of $6.51 as per theatre owners) produces 622 million tickets sold this summer.

So the average person saw two movies. Considering not everyone goes to the theater, you’re looking at a more realistic number of between 4 and 5 movies per person for the summer.

It costs me AU$16 to see a movie.