The Supreme Court has kicked off Civil War 2.0

Great idea- attack Biden, then trump is a shoo-in in 2024!! :roll_eyes:

If he is not getting the job done why would you want him? Why not find someone better and support them?

Biden was the one to beat Trump the President. I’m not sure he’s the one to beat Trump the Loser (if he runs), or one of the others waiting.

Why not give us a good suggestion as to who could qualify first before talking about dumping Biden? If you don’t like the car that gets you to work, you don’t sell it then look for a replacement. That is a great way to ensure that someone else will get your job.

I cited a poll above (done very recently) which shows Biden is not a good candidate.

Per your metaphor, you want to ride the broken down car until it utterly fails, strands you on the road, and then try to find a new car.

Then you totally didn’t get the metaphor.

I understood it fine.

I don’t know why you think I should be the one to supply the next better candidate. We can come up with a list if you want.

The point here is Biden is not a good candidate. I’m not sure that taking the most milquetoast, do-nothing person is a good strategy.

He is the best we’ve got until someone suggests something better. If we abandon him before finding something better you might as well just concede the elections to the Republicans.

Well, here we are. Today. With the country collapsing and frankly scary conservative dogma ascendant.

And what got us here? Clintons and Obama and Biden (and Schumer and Pelosi). The last 30 years of democrats have let us get here.

I do not have a magic wand to fix everything but, clearly, this lot has not delivered. More than not delivered. They have been conspicuously absent from the fight. I’m not sure why you would want more just because they are not quite as bad as the other side.

Add in the likes of Manchin and Sinema on the democrats’ “side” and color me unimpressed.

I am not asking for a magic wand-I am asking for more than “Dump Biden!” Dump Biden and…what?

I cannot answer that question.

I have not taken a deep-dive into potential candidates and their positions yet.

What I think is important is that Biden gets primaried in the next election. Opponents should start throwing their hat in the ring. We can debate whether we think they are good or not as they come.

You may believe that. I might believe that.

That means nothing and hasn’t at any time in history. They won because they got 100 million people to vote for them. People not at all like you and me.

Tell me who in the party will win in 2024. Can you name anyone? Anyone at all? I can’t, with the possible exception of the sitting president. Even the worst person in America almost won because he was the sitting president.

The last two sitting presidents to lose before him lost because the country was in a recession. If the country is still in recession in 2024, maybe you’ll get your wish, in a fictional twist ending sort of way. Any Democrat on the ticket will lose.

If the economy has recovered by then, totally different story.

The Democrats have two years to find a candidate who doesn’t make 100 million people laugh at the thought of them beating Trump. Or Pence. Or DeSantis. Or Marjorie Taylor Greene. Otherwise, Biden, the sitting president, is the best possible candidate. He shouldn’t be. And yet he is. And will remain that way.

I know it isn’t as tho Canada is all eager to take on a bunch of the US. But it sure would be nice to live in a more Canadian system than what the US increasingly is.

Maybe there should be some sort of orderly dissolution, letting the US split up into 2-4 separate countries. Could even allow individual states to split up - such as NE Illinois from the rest. Or maybe we could “gerrymander” the states? Let the red portions be red, and the blue portions be blue.

Sure - just pipe dreams that will never happen. But would have advantages over having 2 so different groups have to tolerate each other.

No, it doesn’t. Look about 45% of those polled were Republicans, who of course don’t want Biden to run again. So, in fact their voices say just the opposite- that Biden should certainly run again. Thus, you polls starts out worthless, as asking a MAGA who he would like for the Democratic nomination in 2024 is ridiculous and only serves to tell us Dems who should be the candidate, if anything. Your poll is useless. and your point then here, is false.

So that leave the remaining 25%, likely independents and progressives, who would like someone else- Sanders, Newsom, Harris, Hillary, Buttigieg, and even Michelle Obama. But there is no consensus at all on which of those, and every single one of these 538 polls show Biden the preferred candidate, with only Harris coming even slightly close- 32-24.

I concede then, if Bidens health fails, that Harris should be the likely candidate. Newsom is a bad choice, and "Mayor Pete " altho a great guy and an asset to the cabinet is a sure loser to trump.

(Michelle Obama is an interesting idea, but)

No, trump got us here. Not voting got us here. GOP Jim Crow laws got us here.

I do not believe that Harris is the likely successor if Joe does not run again. She’s never been a significant factor in her previous primaries and I’m unaware of any groundswell of support building for her now.

There’s also the point that, while there are others that I would actually prefer to run in 2024, I’ll enthusiastically vote for Biden if that’s who is nominated.

My cite show she polls the best- but not by a large margin.

I will vote for a ham sandwich (D) if it can beat trump. My criteria is “can they defeat trump (or his hand-picked successor) , if so, I will support them”. If trump gets back in, American democracy is dead.

Now, I kinda like Joe, but his main qualification is “he can beat trump”. None of the others can, IMHO.

Is there any hope left in these dismal days that the Radical Revanchism of the Right (aha! A phrase worthy of Spiro Agnew!) will provoke a Democrat/liberal/progressive backlash sufficient to create a Democrat avalanche?

Just imagine if we could elect Elizabeth Warren as president!

(Dream on! Somebody, please, don’t wake me.)

Yes, I think there’s hope in the long run but we’re in for some dark days in the near future. I’m sure I’ll get the inevitable snarky pushback from the “demographics aren’t destiny” people but generational cohorts who will make up the majority of the electorate will move the country towards justice.

A big mistake that Republicans are making with their election shenanigans is that haven’t given any thought to the inevitable difficulty of governing a majority of the electorate that feels it has been disenfranchised. I just hope the conflict doesn’t destroy the country when the authoritarian right decides to use force to maintain power.

Most of the electorate doesn’t seem to form an opinion until rather late in the cycle, and so much is going to change between now and two years hence that all of this data seems of little value. Right now, Biden would be the best candidate, but how can you say Biden is the best candidate for summer of 2024?

Personally, I think that Biden is a perfectly acceptable president, light years better than Trump of course, though I’m too far to the left to vote for him in the primary. I can’t see him being primaried, though, unless his health takes a dramatic and public turn for the worse, or unless there is a major Event of Discontent.

That said, he’s got to manage inflation, the repercussions of climate change (Western drought / fires, etc.), the fallout from the Ukraine-Russia war, and the general economic messes arising from all of these. That’s a tall order for any president, and I suspect the Republicans will have people slavering to vote given the judiciary “success” of their last president.