The Tenth Doctor as Hamlet

A brief spoof of David Tennant’s Hamlet from Neil Gaiman;

:slight_smile:

There’s been a bit of rumbling that Gaiman might be up for writing an episode for Steven Moffat’s first season. That’d be good.

I’ve always loved Neil (Why yes, we are on a first-name basis, he just doesn’t know it yet.) based on his own writing style. But I have to say, he did rather a fine job with this little blurb. I can definitely see and hear the Doctor saying all of that.

My fingers are permanently crossed in the hope that Neil will grace us with an episode.

Hee hee! “Weeelll…”

That’s become one of our favorite words 'round these parts. :smiley:

That would rock. I suppose the Doctor sassing out Dream of the Endless would be too much to hope for, but I could see a cross-pollination with American Gods working quite well.

Ha! That’s perfect. I can just hear Tennant saying all of that right now!

A curious accident causes the TARDIS to drift out of regular time and space into the realm of the Endless. There, the Doctor allies himself with Morpheus, King of the Dreaming, whose powers were again bequeathed into three seperate amulets. The Doctor & Morpheus must then traverse the farthest corners of the universe (including a trip to a planet in a far-off galaxy in the 31st century that curiously resembles a chinese opium den in the late 1800s) and confront the malevolent agents of Asmodel, Beelsebub & Lucifer, who are desperate to get their hands on the Dream King’s sources of power.

As the episodes (it’s a two-part episode, ‘natch) depict their quest, we keep cutting back to scenes of an English boarding school circa 1910, in which a lonely boy is daydreaming of characters called “the Doctor” and “Morpheus” on adventures on far off worlds. As the story draws to a close, the TARDIS materializes in the school-room when the boy is alone there. Of course, his drawing pad is one of the secret sources of the Dream King’s powers, but in a big twist - the boy is actually one of Morpheus’ own dreams made incarnate - his fantasy of being a normal, mortal being.

After a big splashy final fight against Lucifer and the hordes of Hell, the Doctor restores the Dream King’s powers, but engineers a loophole allowing Morpheus to become the little boy and experience a human life. The Doctor leaves, well aware that the boy is destined to be killed in combat in WWI.

(That’s enough fanwanking for one day.)

Actually, I imagine the Doctor and Death would have quite a bit to say to each other: I could see her tagging along in the Tardis for a while, with maybe an appearance by Hob Gadling. Sadly, the screen rights for his Sandman characters are probably well tied-up.