The third jab of Pfizer

Or sooner.

I’m pretty much back to normal tonight after 24 hours, which is quicker than with #2 for me. I used the slight run down/achy feeling as an excuse to take today completely off, get caught up on my rest, do some reading, spend too much time on the internet…

Got mine where I work. It’s not like my employer doesn’t already have all that info on me.

Walgreen’s, CVS, and so forth are acting sort of… predatory about the whole thing, wanting folks’ information and e-mail - no doubt so they can start blitzing them with advertising.

I just learned last week (when I went in for my flu shot) that as a teacher, I’m in the eligible category. We’re “may get it”, rather than “recommended to get it”, but from seeing both the level of mask compliance and the case numbers at my school, I think I probably ought to.

What I wonder, though: All of the recommendations and eligibility and so on are for people who’ve already had two doses of Pfizer. That includes me, but my mom and uncle, both of whom would be recommended to get it based on age, had the Moderna vaccine initially. I’d imagine that both of the mRNA vaccines have similar diminishing-effectiveness curves; is there any guidance for them?

Moderna is currently only approved for an additional dose for those who are immunosuppressed. Booster shot authorization is still pending.

The FDA is meeting later this week, Oct 14&15, to discuss boosters for Moderna and J&J. They will also discuss mixing& matching.

I’m not sure when the CDC will meet to discuss the FDA’s recommendations.

But we’ll know more at the end of this week.

The preliminary data indicated that Moderna wanes, but more slowly than Pfizer.

The data on J&J seems mixed. Many fewer people got it, and they got it later. (A lot of the mRNA studies have been of health professionals who were vaccinated very early in the pandemic, mostly before J&J was approved.) I’m seeing claims that it wanes more than Pfizer, and also claims that it holds up better.

Everyone agrees that people who got j&j and then get a booster have improved immunity, though. And it doesn’t get a ton of press, but the initial efficacy of J&J was a lot less than for the mRNA vaccines.

But… We’ll learn more soon.

Various reports have indicated that the Moderna vaccine has had a longer lasting protective effect than the Pfizer vaccine. This may be because of the difference in dosage: each dose of the Pfizer vaccine delivers 30 µg of mRNA, while each of Moderna’s contains 100 µg. Incidentally, this may also be why some people reported greater side effects with the Moderna vaccine.

So it looks like a booster for those who received the Moderna vaccine may not really be needed at this time (other than for immunocompromised people). It also looks like they may recommend a smaller dose for the Moderna booster when they do approve it.

Sorry to be late to the party.

My wife (age 60), mother-in-law (85), and I (65) all got Moderna boosters back in August, 5 1/2 months after our last regular shots (Moderna for me and my wife, Pfizer for my MIL). We just went on the CVS website, gave our details (no lying) and were given appointments without any questions.

I had a sore arm for a day after one of the first two shots but no other side effects, but I felt fatigued for most of the day after the booster. My wife was the same. MIL had no side effects from any of the shots!

Just got my third dose (Pfizer, the original two were AZ). The UK is offering third doses to clinically vulnerable people who will then get a fourth, booster dose 6 months after. I wasn’t expecting to have it today but I was visiting Guy’s hospital for a clinic related to my blood disorder (hence my “vulnerability”) and my doc suggested I could go down to book the dose straight after.

I was directed to an ancient, but beautiful, room in some very old part of the original hospital building with plaques commemorating people back in the 18th century, framed portraits, crests decorated on the floor and the whole works. All filled with perspex-partitioned booths with telephone operators, hand gels etc etc. It was a scene the earlier users of this room could not have possibly envisioned. Within 10 minutes of walking into that room I had the jab in my arm. Good stuff.

If you got the Johnson & Johnson vaccine as your first COVID-19 shot, a booster dose of either the Moderna or Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine apparently could produce a stronger immune response than a second dose of J&J’s vaccine. That’s the finding of a highly anticipated study released Wednesday.

And if you started out with either Pfizer or Moderna, it probably doesn’t matter that much, the research suggests, as long as you get one of the two mRNA vaccines as a booster.

Six months to the day. Got the double-barrel - flu on one side, Pfizer in the other. A little unexpectedly the flu arm hurt more at first, but that mostly faded out and I now I have a solidly painful case of ‘Pfizer arm’. Plus light-headed and headache (weird combo, I think that might be a first time symptom mix for me), shoulder and neck aches, general tiredness and malaise. A moderate-level symptom smorgasboard. No fever, chills, coughs or congestion - yet, anyway.

Called in to work to be on the safe side, but apparently they’ve got a new 48 hour post-vaccine symptom isolation protocol. So regardless how I’m feeling tomorrow, I’m still out. Which I can live with :slight_smile:.

Getting mine this afternoon. Got flu shot last week, so covered there. I forgot I’m on call today so really hoping any side effects don’t kick in until tomorrow morning.

I got my third shot yesterday. The main side effect has been a sore arm. It started a few hours after the shot and continued through the night. It’s getting better now. I also feel a little tired, but that could also simply be due to not getting enough sleep last night.

Got my third shot, along with flu, yesterday. 6 mos + 1 week after my last. Woke up early, achy all over. Hot shower, Tylenol, and a nap have knocked that back. COVID arm is still tender, but flu arm doesn’t hurt anymore.

I just got my third Pfizer shot. I was getting my flu shot (at Walmart) and I asked if I was eligible for a covid booster. They said I was, so I got it.

I’m feeling fine. I had no adverse reactions from the first two shots so I’m hoping I won’t experience any this time as well.

This surprises me. I don’t think Moderna has been approved (emergency authorized) for booster shots yet and surely wasn’t back in August. Seems strange to me that a huge American company would risk whatever sort of legal action that might accompany giving out non-approved vaccines. Maybe it was just a really-big screw-up on their part?

And aside from that, I wonder why they didn’t give your MIL Pfizer instead of Moderna. And Pfizer wasn’t approved for booster shot in August either, was it? Very odd.

My reply to your post in the other thread:

Also, ISTR that they revised the storage conditions and shelf-life as well.

According to this (see PDF below), long-term storage has to be between -130 and -76F indefinitely, but that it can be stored at normal freezer temps (between -13F and 5F ) for two weeks before mixing, and put back in super-cold storage which suspends that 2 week limit.

Or… at any point in the above, it can be stored for a month in a refrigerator between 36F and 46F, and then will need to be thrown out.

Mixed vaccines can be stored for six hours at room temp, and then must be thrown out.

Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine Storage and Handling Summary-August 24, 2021 (cdc.gov)

I had Pfizer #3 on Friday morning. I got this one through CVS, which I already use for my prescriptions, but I still had to enter a bunch of info online when I made the appointment. I fall into the “50+ with underlying conditions” camp, plus I’m going to a hospital on Tuesday for an outpatient procedure and will be checking into another hospital next month for bariatic surgery. I’ll take whatever protection I can get. I think I clicked a button attesting to qualifying for a booster, but I never had to provide proof of anything. And the CVS never checked my ID, though they did look at my CDC card to ensure it had been six months before they filled in the third line.

I didn’t get a coupon. :frowning:

I deliberately scheduled #3 for a Friday in case of side effects, but all I had was a sore arm (just like after #2). It was very sore Friday night and all day yesterday, but today it’s much better. I expect any lingering soreness to be gone by tomorrow. And it wasn’t as bad as after #2, when I practically couldn’t move my arm the next day; this time it was more like a really bad bruise.

(I got my flu shot in early September at my primary care provider’s office. And ever since I turned 50 — three weeks after the flu shot — I’ve been getting notifications about the shingles vaccine: I’ll get it, but I’m not planning to be proactive about that one until after my surgery.)

I received my Pfizer booster (plus flu shot) a few weeks ago, exactly 6 months after the first two. After having zero side effects with either prior Pfizer shot, and zero side effects with years of prior flu shots, I felt pretty awful this time. For some weird reason my feet ache when I get really sick, and they ached but good the next day after these two shots. I felt pretty unwell (although not feverish) and laid on the couch with a heating pad wrapped around my feet. Within 8 hours I was back to normal.

Another odd anecdote: the shot site still hurts if I poke it. I know, I know- then don’t poke it! But weird that it’s still tender weeks later.

Otherwise I feel perfectly fine.

Third shot at just under 7 months after the second, two days ago, Monday afternoon (this is now Wednesday morning.) Only symptom on Monday was a moderately but not very sore arm. Tuesday morning I felt overall very crappy, no energy, and while not full scale nausea definitely queasy; which was a symptom I didn’t have with the first two, though my arm was more sore from the second than from the third (not so sore any time that I couldn’t use it, though.) By Tuesday/yesterday afternoon I felt pretty much back to normal.

– hmm. yeah, if I poke at the injection site it is still a little tender; but I don’t any longer notice it otherwise.

Well, because our district made the much appreciated effort to organize it, booster shots were offered yesterday right here in our building. I went and got one. It’s been about 19 hours, and I’ve had no side effects whatsoever. The injection area got sore last night, but that’s no big. That should clear up in a day or two.