The Top Witches

When I was about eight, I watched a British show called Into the Labyrinth, featuring Pamela Salem as a witch named Belor. She scared the crap out of me when I was a kid, but when I rewatched the series in college, I appreciated her for entirely different reasons.

WILFs certainly make me twitch! :slight_smile:

I’m surprised that it took 20 posts before the Wicked Witch of the West was mentioned.

Maleficent (the Disney one).

Anybody mention Glinda (Billie Burke) yet? :dubious: :confused:

Granny Weatherwax is 100% indisputably the top witch. She’s never won any sort of competition for that title for the simple reason that nobody dares challenge her. I mean, we’re talking someone who can successfully rig the deck playing poker against DEATH Himself, by dealing herself four queens and him only four ones.

Withciepoo

Me too! She was my first thought, my top witch.

I was going to say she was probably the first witch I ever saw on the screen but I think maybe I saw Snow White before The Wizard of Oz.

I also saw Lucy as a witch in It’s The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown before those :slight_smile:

I like the woman who is being tried as a witch in Monty Python & The Holy Grail. She turned that guy into a newt!

Yeah, fair enough. But there are some fantasy settings where “witch” is a specific kind of magic user. I’m not sure if DC is one of them, though. I’m only passingly familiar with the character, but it seems to me that if someone in one of her comics called Zatanna a witch, she’d correct them.

But then, I guess in-universe definitions don’t have to be controlling for the purposes of this thread.

With the caveat that Scarlet Witch has one of the most ill-defined and inconsistent power sets in comics, no, I don’t think so. She’s a mutant. She has powers because she has the X-gene in her DNA, which is technically a science-based ( :rolleyes: ) power.

In fairness, the Death of Discworld is famously bad at table top games.

“REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE HORSE-SHAPED ONE MOVES?”

(Which, if you get down to it, is a fantastic explanation for the general survival rate of heroes in genre fiction.)

Connie Booth, aka “Polly Sherman,” if I’m not mistaken. :o

And I suppose no one will nominate any of the three witches of Eastwick. They say the sexiest character in that movie was Jack Nicholson’s devil.

I always loved Warner Bros. cartoons’ Witch Hazel and her endless supply of bobby pins.

Agreed. Elizabeth Montgomery was hot as hell, presented a comprehensive story and very sweet despite being married to that asshole Derwood or whatever his name was. Endora was right about him.

1. Samantha Stephens
  2. The Wicked Witch of the West
  3. Samatha’s fake brunette cousin Sabrina from Bewitched also played by Elizabeth Montgomery because, again, she was hot as the Devil’s cauldron.
  4. That other Sabrina, The Teenage Witch played by Melissa Joan Hart
  5. Someone from the Salem Witch Trials

Evil Edna

Witch Hazel and Little Itch from Little Lulu.

The Sea Hag from Popeye.

Every witch voiced by June Foray on Rocky and Bullwinkle.

Elvira “How to _uck,” Mistress of the Dark! :cool:

There’s another? :confused:

EDIT: Never mind! :slight_smile:

+10 (to make up a proper thirteen)

She’s also supposed to have been trained as a witch, which is how she ended up having those twins which may or may not be the result of demonic posession and may or may not exist, depending on which writer you ask. It’s a bit like Ororo’s own witchcraft-affinity-and-depending-on-universe-training; writers keep it in a corner of the bottom drawer to bring out when they’re exceptionally drunk, more out of ideas than usual, or just wanting to get her up in a different dress.

They’ve shuffled her family around so often I wouldn’t be surprised if someone tells me it’s lately been decided Quicksilver isn’t her brother.

My vote for #1.

As awesome as she is, I enjoy reading about Tiffany Aching more. (For those not familiar with the series, Tiffany is a shepherd’s daughter whose approach to magic is unflinchingly pragmatic; they’re coming-of-age stories as only Pratchett could manage).

AHAH! Not a witch! :stuck_out_tongue:

(Your answer was awesome… I really kind of love you. :smiley: )