The Trump Impeachment Inquiry

I know we’ve got like a million threads about Trump’s corruption, but today’s news is the start of a whole new chapter (or, likely, an entire spinoff series):

What should we expect in the next week or so? Will some of the folks who gave such shitty testimony earlier be recalled to give more testimony under the rules of an impeachment inquiry? Will Trump’s constant claims of executive privilege be litigated?

Even though I get that people think we have to impeach, I fear this has little chance of doing anything except getting him re-elected.

Nate Silver already has a column up. It’s a pretty interesting take, including some advice for Democrats that’s pretty obvious, and some that I wouldn’t have expected:

OK, but how do you address election security without making it about Russia too? Ukraine isn’t scary to anybody in the US, in fact we’re supposed to be on their side in the border conflict, but Russia and Putin certainly count. Trump’s fealty to Putin is a far bigger deal ISTM (unless there’s a lot more coming out about Ukraine), and there’s the Mueller report to back it up.

Pelosi announcement in a few minutes, according to news sites.

I doubt Pelosi will take an everything and the kitchen sink approach. I expect a more targeted process on Ukraine and possibly a selection of some of the most serious allegation with a good chance of being proven to a high degree of certainty. Something like the campaign finance violations for the Stormy Daniels payment probably doesn’t make her focus IMO. Campaign finance violations are pretty common and not criminal unless there’s knowledge it’s a violation. Cohen with a law degree had a harder time claiming ignorance. Trump makes a pretty good case on a daily basis for ignorance about almost everything. A non-criminal and relatively minor offense to distract from the serious allegations is probably not something Pelosi wants in the mix. Especially when it’s one that’s basically played out publicly already and hasn’t really changed minds. It’s also probably not something that the new House members who narrowly won blue leaning districts last year want to explain to their constituents. Ukraine is finally swinging them out of silence to support impeachment. That piece is in.How much more ends up in the inquiry is the big question. I expect the breadth of the investigation is a big part of the discussion in today’s caucus meeting.

We’ll see about that prediction. If I’m right that means a lot of the relatively shitty testimony will be about allegations that don’t end up part of the impeachment inquiry.

I’ve been expecting that to happen eventually anyway. Especially on the NY grand jury investigation. While a state case, it might set the stage for decisions related to Congress and federal limitations.

Nancy Pelosi: “Today, I’m announcing the House of Representatives is moving forward with an official impeachment inquiry. I’m directing our six committees to proceed with their investigations under that umbrella … The president must be held accountable.”

Impeachment proceedings is what we need, so yay.

I disagree Silver’s take that this needs to focus on Ukraine. Not only are his actions with Ukraine eerily similar to his alleged actions with Russia leading up to the election, but his attempts to obstruct justice are similar as well. Viewing the Ukraine thing in isolation means ignoring the massive elephant in the room.

Trump cheated his in way into the White House and he’s trying to cheat again. Even if it means putting our national security interests at risk.

[P.A.] Folks, gonna go ahead and have you return to your seats and strap in – Looks like we’ve got a bit of a bumpy ride comin’ up for … oh, about the next 13 months. [/P.A.]

Adam Schiff tweets that the intel community whistleblower wants to testify:

My heavily right-wing coworkers are celebrating Trump’s second term of office with this news. They see this as an absolute disaster for the Dems.

As do I. It’s like you guys already forgot (or never learned in the first place) the lessons of impeachment from a couple of decades ago.

How does this generate more Trump voters? Were there Trump voters who were planning on staying home, but now they’re going to come out and vote? I don’t buy it.

Oh, and by the way, how about those whistleblower concerns about Trump. Much ado about nothing, eh?

12 hours ago, NPR published this story:

I’d recommend you read it.

Well, Trump voters clearly have the most brilliant minds of our generation so…

Oh wait.

Whatever.

It’s an absolute disaster for America that democrats need to burn all of this political capital because Republicans elected a fucking moron.

I know this may be a foreign concept to Republicans, but sometimes doing what’s right for the country is more important than maneuvering for the next election. When the president allegedly leverages the power of his office to strongarm a foreign nation into digging up dirt on his political opponent, this is one of those times.

When done for valid reasons, impeachment can tarnish a presidents reputation and reduce their popularity. If this impeachment inquiry opens up the floodgates on all Trump’s crimes, it could make him less popular with independent voters.

His base will be more motivated, but they were going to vote for him anyway.

In my fevered imagination, supporting actual and obvious election interference through using public money to convince a foreign government to manufacture dirt about your opponent might just be a bridge too far for some Republicans.

I fantasize about Moscow Mitch and the others all getting together and saying “Is this it? Yes, this is it. Punt him NOW, and fast.” And this time next week, Trump is gone.