After working all night, I finally made it to sleep around noon and just woke up with an idea from no discernible source at all – to create the most pompous e-mail address on the Internet.
The idea is to use subdomains, usernames, and plus ‘+’ aliases in pursuit of this glorious quest.
On some systems, but not all (gmail, for example), you can receive an e-mail with a ‘+’ alias and then reply to it, changing the recipient to one of your choice, and when it goes out, it will go out with the ‘+’ alias intact. In comparison, gmail accepts the ‘+’ address but cowardly refuses to include the ‘+’ address on replies and forwards.
So, for example, I could create an address such as
One thing that I considered was the use of quotes so that I could use spaces instead lf underscores, but I have yet to find an e-mail service that permits quotes any more.
One domain that I am considering is “most-supreme-garden-slug-from-beyond-the-edge-of-space-and-time.info” with a username of “keeper_of_the_final_digits_of_pi”, but that still needs at least one or two levels of preposterous subdomains.
The complete official title / style for King Charles of the UK is pretty impressively pompous. With huge bonus points for being real w a real government behind it.
As it happens, 63 characters per part of a domain is the limit (RFC 1035, RFC 1123) - that is a domain in the form a.b.c (eg, www.domain.com) can contain 2 x 63 = 126 characters (plus one dot) for the “a” and “b” parts (subdomain and domain, respectively) and another 63 for the “c”, the “Top Level Domain” or even another 63 if the TLD is the fairly common 2-part country style, eg, “co.za” for us South Africans.
However, the TLDs are determined by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), and despite the RFCs, the longest available TLD is .photography at 11 characters ( .travelersinsurance, though apparently approved has not yet been issued)
But… there is a total limit of 253 characters per domain name, including subdomains and TLDs (not including the dots) in the RFCs
The celebrated Welsh village"s namesake domain lanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.com (58 characters, plus 3 char TLD) is really pushing the limits, but could easily be longer if they included a subdomain and a longer TLD up to the total limit of 253.
Your domain most-supreme-garden-slug-from-beyond-the-edge-of-space-and-time at a mere 63 characters has a long way to go.
And now you know more than you ever thought was really necessary about domains.
The domain name is just the start. The “most-supreme-garden-slug-from-beyond-the-edge-of-space-and-time” is specifically selected as being the longest possible domain name itself, but then we can add subdomains after that.
And then there is the username which is often limited to 31 or so characters. I think that proton’s max username is 40 characters, but I’m not sure. But you can sometimes go longer by using an alias.
On one of my servers, I created an alias in /etc/mail/aliases of “office_of_the_fungal_overlord_from_beyond_the_edge_of_space_and_time” out of curiosity. And it works. I have yet to test it to see how long an alias I can use. That includes how long it will let me create and how many mail services I test (I have e-mail accounts at proton.me, mailfence.com, vivaldi.net, gmail.com, and some lesser known e-mail services) can send with a username that long.
I have no doubt that I can come up with a valid 253 character e-mail address even thought the longest I have ever used was about 235 characters.
However, many e-mail services limit what they will accept to far fewer characters.
For example, I was making a cash purchase at a western clothing store a few years ago and they absolutely insisted that they could not ring up the sale without an e-mail address. So I gave them an e-mail address. Replacing the actual domain name with “example.com”, the entire address was “2.718281828459045235360287471352@mathlab.example.com”. It turned out that the e-mail field in the store’s POS system was only about 40 characters long.
By the way, one possible benefit from using longer names could become evident if it turns out that the software the spammers use has similar limits. If a spammers use a limit of 40 characters and your e-mail address is 50 characters, that spammer would presumably not be able to spam you.
For what it’s worth, I have had an IANA contact address for the well known ports registry for about 30 years and it gets so much spam that it is unusable and I no longer check it. I have wondered whether I would get spam at it if the e-mail address was far longer. Of course, the IANA might have balked if I had given them an e-mail address of 50 or 60 characters back in the 1990s.
One thing that might be interesting is to make the domain and the subdomains and the username to be cryptic puzzle clues that spell out a phrase poking fun at some political figure.