The urge to create

My profession was to create new mathematics. I guess I did reasonably well, since I have published some 75 items (mostly papers, but three books and some lecture notes). At one time, I got the urge to build furniture. Mostly, it was fairly poor to mediocre, but I made one coffee table that sits in my living room and that no one would imagine I could have built There are also a couple end tables also in the living room, but I am not entirely happy with them. Then I got my first PC in 1982 and stopped building furniture.

mack, do you have a site or something where we can listen to your compositions?

i do similar things myself, and am always interested in hearing other people’s work.

I desire to create bizarre posts. :confused: ugh

Also I am writing a couple of comic book(s). All the stories are in various states on completion. I have the desire to learn a musical instrument too.

I tend to be a bit crafty. Here’s something I am doing for my back porch area. I hope it will look cool on an upcoming summer night.

I create. This is as basic to me as eating or breathing.

Everywhere I go, I take a sketchbook. I draw in it sometimes. At other times I take notes, jot down phone numbers, and generally scribble. When I was studying electronics, I did my English assignments in it and handed in the book.

Occaisionally I write bad poetry, although usually only when I’m depressed. Fortunately, this is much less common now.

I go to the Toronto Comic Jam.

I have at various times:

• written science-fantasy stories about evil rabbits subverting the world (as part of the Devilbunnies shared world).
  • done web sites about solar-powered housing, and Squiglitos, the world’s first virtual snack food.
  • tried my hand at classincal animation (at Sheridan College)
  • edited video (and when I get my tax refund, I’ll get that Firewire interface card!!!)
  • translated cartoons
  • drawn large pen-and-ink-and-watercolour drawings which I gave away as presents, on the theory that it was cheaper to do them than to actually buy people things. (This was before I’d fully thought about framing costs or value of labour time.)

Now I’m working on a bilingual science-fiction comic book. :smiley:

I would, except that would require me to actually finish my pieces.

I do have the idea in the back of my mind that I ought to finish off a bunch of them, burn a couple of CDs and send them to some long-suffering fans. I gave a tape to a friend of mine maybe 12 years ago and now she listens to it all the time. The time is ripe for a follow-up!