Does anyone else get desires to do things you're not very good at?

I love doing things with my hands. Crafts, etc. Thing is, I’m not very good. For example:

I wanted desperately to build my own dollhouse. Well, websites say to try and make one out of paper/cardboard first. It’s a good thing, too, because I scrapped the idea after what i saw my ground floor looked like.

I love painting, but I can’t draw anything independently. I’ve found finishing wood to be eminently satisfactory, because you don’t need to worry about a pattern, just follow the grain.

I love cross-stitching, beading, everything. BUT I’M NOT GOOD AT ANY OF IT.

I realize it’s just my creative side trying to express itself, but why do I get urges to do things I’m not good at? Does anyone else’s brain push itself forward like this, or am I the only kooky one? I feel like Taran Wanderer - found somehting I love, only to find out I don’t have the genius for it. :frowning:

• And thank Og for A.C. Moore, where I can get supplies really cheap cheap cheap so I can indulge my silly ideas.

All the time. I just wish I had the time to act on it.

Oh, yeah. I can’t build things to save my life, but I’ll always try. Luckily, it can usually be turned into firewood at the very least! :smiley:

Luckily, I discovered early on that I could channel my creativity into baking and brewing. Those things I am very good at, and they fulfill my creative needs most of the time.

I constantly dream that I’m a fantastic swimmer, to the point that I still kinda half-think that I am when I’m awake.

I’m not. I sink like a rock and drown in any water deeper than my knees. That’s going to get me f’ing killed some day. "Don’t worry, miss! I’ll save you! sploosh blub blub blub blub blub

Oh, dear Og NO! I’m a complete perfectionist and if I can’t be good at it, I don’t want any part of it. I stick to the things I know I can do well: cooking/baking and cross stitch are my creative outlets. Beyond that, I avoid anything of that nature!

I often, often, way too often get the urge to draw. When I get an image in my head, or when I just see something or somebody… This from the girl who draws stick figures badly. :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: Most often I can write out the image I see, though it doesn’t turn out quite as well as I imagined it at first.

Double yes for me. Several years ago I decided to try woodworking. I thought I’d be great at it. After all, my dad is a very good carpenter, my grand father was as well and my great grandfather was a professional carpenter in the age before power tools. (As an aside I now have great grandpa’s tools in his hand made tool box sitting next my own collection of tools). Plus I’d seen every episode of the This Old House and New Yankee Workshop.

I was a very poor carpenter. But I kept at it. In the 10 years since I have certainly not mastered the art but I’m passable, can do need home repairs and even make some furniture (very closely following the plans and needed 50% more wood and supplies due to mistakes) but I enjoy it. That’s the key I think try some thing new you think you’ll enjoy. Keeps the mind young they say.

Now I’ve decided that I should take up stone masonry. :eek: Luckily field stone is plentiful near by and I can experiment to my hearts content, if I can find the time. I’m sure once I start hauling 80 lbs stones around I’ll find it much less enthralling.

::giggling, imagining slortar flailing desperately in the shallow end of the pool::

Well I’m glad I’m not the only one.

Upon preview, I see **Kythereia ** pointing out another thing I’m guilty of. I’ve pretty much stopped trying to draw, but I still get the urge.

I hang out with a lot of artsy people, and I occasionally find my muse and launch on various ill-fated art projects. I have the asthetic sense of a Hun and am not very good at doing detailed things with my hands, so the results are usually pretty horendous.

It’s kind of theraputic actually, when I’m doing things I’m good at, especially at my job, there’s a lot of pressure not to screw up. When I try my hand at pottery or painting, I start with the understanding that the end product is going to suck and that no one really cares, so I can just have a good time screwing around with it.

Anaamika, follow your desires and never let your fear of failure keep you from them. You don’t have to do things perfectly or beautifully to enjoy doing them. Besides, if you do it long enough, you will get better at it. I think it was Chuck Jones who said,* “Everyone has 10,000 bad drawings in them. You can’t get to the good drawings until you’ve gotten those 10,000 bad ones out of your system.”*

Drawing’s also my personal example of this sort of thing. Want to draw, don’t do it very well.

You mean there are people who don’t do that?

I love this quote!!! I’ll have to remember it. Thanks a bunch…I do these things anyway already, but you made me feel better.

I want to sing. Professionally. Songs bubble up inside me and I just want to get up on a stage and WOW an audience. I have whole set lists, I have selected my back-up musicians, I have designed stage costumes and I am rarin’ to go.

I couldn’t carry a tune in a bucket.

I sing in my car, much to the heartfelt dismay of my passengers, who are (insert evil laughter) trapped.

Good! And good for you! I sometimes teach art or watercolor to elementary school kids and they always love that line. It makes them think and since it comes from the God of Cartoons it’s true.

Drawing, writing, flirting, becoming batman (not that I would).

Well, how do you get good at stuff? By working at it, doing something crappily lots and lots until you get better at it. I mean, I’m teh knitting master. I rox0rz ur sox0rz. (Okay, I’m exaggering. :slight_smile: But I do alright.) But if you looked at my first few projects, they were pretty sucky. Like Malodorous and Terracotta say, you have to just jump in and tell yourself, hey, this one’s gonna look goofy, but who cares?

Maybe you’re trying things that are too challenging for a beginner? I know the syndrome . . . you want to be able to jump in and do the complicated projects on the cover of the magazines or at the hardcore websites. But you have to start with something simple to master the basic skills, and work your way up.

For example, to me, making a dollhouse, even out of cardboard, sounds really hard and complicated. It seems like you’d have to learn a lot of different skills. I’d be inclined to start with, like, a one-room doll cottage. :wink: If you dive in to something huge, it’s all the more heartbreaking when it comes out badly.

And, er, I don’t mean to be rude, but, how can you be bad a cross stitch? Needle goes in one hole and comes out another hole, and you follow the chart. :confused: Did you start out with an easy project, or some crazy thing with eighteen shades of dark blue on 30 count fabric?

That having been said, I’ve given up on drawing. I just don’t have time to put in the practice that would be necessary to get any good at it. I don’t even have the luxury of sitting around in class doodling anymore. And I’m completely hopeless at anything involving wood—expecially finishing. :slight_smile:

My latest whim is to be a “fiber artist”. I’ve taken up knitting and don’t do the fancy stuff well, but I am creative with color and stuff and I am very interested in the different fibers out there. Plus, I work at an art school, in the very building as the textiles department and I want to be a student here and major in that. I want to weave and dye and silkscreen and spin and machine knit and do fancier hand knits and make fiber sculpture. Except that I was the kid in art class who cried while the teacher finished my project and would never get through the Foundation year to get into the department.

It all comes down to one basic thing:

*I simply don’t have the patience. *

That doesn’t mean I haven’t created very nice cross-stitches, or painted some nice pieces of wood. But still - I know I don’t have a talent - just an interest.

Oh, and some things I just never learned. For example I know how to knit, but not how to make shapes. So unless you want only a patchwork quilt (which I can’t use for fear I’ll rip my nosering out) or a long scarf, I’m not your woman.

I have this intense desire to skateboard like I see on TV. So I even went out and bought myself a skateboard my senior year of college (they’re really not as cheap as I figured - for my POS I payed abour $100!). I ride around on it periodically, but after over a year of on again, off again, I can only manage to ollie one inch, and even that’s a risky business. But damnit, I want to be good!