The US job market is a big fat joke

I am a Millennial (unfortunately). I wish I was born 60 years ago so that I could be a baby boomer because the job market actually made sense back in the day. You didn’t have to be perfect to land a job. Nowadays, you need to have an advanced degree, 10 years of experience, long list of references, a perfect smile, posture, and handshake at the interview, etc etc and other ridiculous shit to actually get the job…all for some shitty minimum wage job. Okay so maybe that doesn’t apply to everyone, but it does to me. So many morons and imbeciles landing jobs that I didn’t.

Is your face covered with scars? Maybe that is scaring off potential employers?

If so, you can probably get tattoos to make those less visible.

No it does not have any scars

Morons and imbeciles need jobs too so that doesn’t really bother me.

We’ll all be living in a desert, irradiated lunarscape soon, so try to make the best out of not working.

Here I thought it was “S-car face.” As in, he has a mug like a German luxury sedan.

Well, that’s good, uh…scarface54345. :slight_smile:

What types of jobs have you applied for?

Maybe it’s “Scarf Ace”? The epitome of all scarf collectors?

It really wasn’t as rosy as you think it was. If you were a woman, or black or some other minority, employers were pretty open about discriminating against you. And even if you were a white guy, the employer would probably prefer someone from the right schools, rather than some schmuck from State University.

The rest of this board skews older, so I don’t know how much sympathy you are going to get. I am not going to address getting a job part (other than recommending more face tattoos).

I am a Millennial. My thoughts:

The 50s through the 70s were a time of dominance of the US economy compared to the rest of world. That meant you could easily get a manufacturing job and be set. As you know, times have changed.

Here is the problem, people tend to compare themselves with others to determine their happiness. If you live in a super poor country and have two loaves of somewhat moldy bread, and everyone else around you has only one, then your happiness is pretty high. Conversely, they all look at you and think “What a rich asshole.”

Here is the key, don’t think of baby boomer times as the baseline of what is normal, think of them as an aberration. The baseline is that most of humanity throughout history has struggled to not starve to death. Comparatively, you are doing pretty well.

Only a few generations back there were people who thought it was normal for multiple siblings to die in childhood and then they went through the Great Depression.

You have to change the way you think and how you compare yourself to others. That will lead to more happiness. Perspective is everything.

“I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
“So do I,” said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

If you didn’t land a job those aren’t the reasons. None of that is required for minimum wage jobs, or even for many high paying jobs.

It must be hard to smile, not slouch, and generally act like a an educated and responsible grown up in a professional situation such as someone evaluating you for a job opening they’ll pay you for. :rolleyes:

I’m a baby boomer, and it took me 4 1/2 years to find a steady job after the Tech/Housing bubble of 2008. There could have been any number of reasons I wasn’t getting hired. I sent resumes out, used job finding sites, attended Unemployment seminars, and didn’t get anything until a recruiter called me out of the blue.

I wish I could give you good job hunting advice, but conditions are always changing. Tech is making a lot of jobs obsolete, so 10+ years experience doesn’t really matter any more. Potential employers used to think if you stayed a long time at your previous job, you demonstrated loyalty. Now they think it means you’re too old.

I know from firsthand experience if you have social media accounts where you show your “wild” side, it’s best to take them down. HR searches those things. It’s best to look boring and non-controversial to the outside world.

I can tell you that the fields of Cryotocurrency, Data Analytics, Cyber Security and Robotics are looking to fill positions, so find training in those areas. Otherwise, brush up on your Office 365 skills, settle for an entry-level position, and work your way up from there.

“I want everybody to say: 'Look at that S-car-face-go.”’

I’m a baby boomer, and I never found a steady job after the Great Recession of 2008. I was in my mid-50s, and there were a lot of people my age that got hit by that particular truck. I saw careers ended at what should have been their peak, marriages destroyed, retirement funds drained, homes foreclosed, lost health insurance combined with cancer and heart attacks, and bankruptcies. Fortunately for me, my marriage survived, our health didn’t collapse,and we kept the house.

If the OP wants any advice, it’s to take temp jobs, gigs and whatever else you can get, get help with your resume, and practice your perfect smile, posture, handshake at the interview, etc etc and other ridiculous shit.

Are you young? You sound pretty young. Don’t take it for granted, whatever else happens. If you are under 30, you should be pretending to pop corks (you can’t afford real champagne) just about all the time.

Get an x-ray of your spine. If it is out of whack even a little, do what it takes to correct it. Young people can have excellent spines their whole lives long if they just appreciate the value of trying to.

Like others have said, work on your posture. It is not a phony pose, you are letting your body rest properly on its frame because, yanno, long term.

If you want to smile a little, go ahead. As a millennial I think you get to pick how extroverted you want to present as. Still, keep in mind that any job worth a crap exists in the real world, and interacting with that will require a minimum of extroversion at least. If you are wont to express a melancholy 1000 yard stare, maybe knock it off.

If you don’t have a car, take out a loan or save your money and get a car. Get a license and insurance of course, and never ever drive without insurance.

Get one of those grocery delivery or task rabbit cell phone kind of gig jobs. There are a ton of those in any urban area, and probably in the country, too. Get focused on it to make the kind of dough you need. Work too hard for a while, kind of test your limits. And pay attention on your assignments! Sooner or later your travels will give you an idea for a better line of work.

If you are not part of the 1%, you are a piece of shit. The are the only ones with any real security in the world. The rest of us can be flushed down the toilet at any time.

A person who is 60 years old (I’m not far away from that milestone) wouldn’t have experienced anywhere near as much as that as would someone who was in the job market 60 years ago. Oh, and you couldn’t be just any white man, either. In some places, or with some companies, you had to have the proper last name, or be the right religion (or at least not the wrong one) or any number of other things.

As for tattoos, when I was job-hunting a few years ago, several people suggested that I cover myself in temporary tattoos and go apply for a job, just to see if that would help.

Better yet, borrow a shitload of money and go to chiropractic school. Lots of boomers will need adjusting in the coming years. And they say there are plenty of opportunities to [del]squeeze the cash out of[/del] help people outside of traditional chiro back cracking.

Hey, you can treat diabetes, depression and all kinds of good stuff with the right advertising know-how.

Back when I was in High School, I remember there was some program on TV complaining about that kind of thing (this would be in Spain in the 1980s). My Dad mused “it would be funny if it wasn’t to cry for… back when we were looking for jobs, we’d be told that the people before us had these perfect working lives where they’d get one job and stay in it, or at least in that employer but getting continuous promotions, to the end of their working lives, but none of my parents or my aunts and uncles had a working history like that. Now our children are told the same story, but neither I, nor my brothers, nor any of the people whose work history I know, have such a work history except for those who’ve always worked for their family business; nobody can say they never had a bad year, nobody can say they landed the perfect job on the first try, many never really found a job they actually enjoyed. And I’m guessing that some day our grandchildren will be told that they [pointing at the Bros and me] had such blessed and perfect working lives…”

It’s a lie. It’s a big fat lie. Not in that the story they tell you never happened to anybody, but in that the story takes a few good things from a handful of people here, others from a different handful there, weaves them all into a single story of success and homes where the cat’s pee didn’t stink, then sells it to whichever the current generation is as if that fairy tale had actually been anybody’s normal from the time of hunter-gatherers until… gosh, actually, until right before YOU started looking for a job!