The Viral Licker - Blue Bell is on the case.

She tried to resist licking the ice cream, but it proved to be futile.

Tiiiiiiin Roof! Busted!

The problem with those is that the customer may not know it was supposed to be there, or not notice it had been removed and replaced on something like ice cream, which is sticky.

But there’s still an easy solution: put the tamper resistant stuff on the outside, and make it obvious. Plastic over the whole thing works, as would designing the lid to tear away a small part to get it open.

It seems weird to me that they’re pushing more about vigilance than improving their packaging.

All the ice cream I buy at Safeway has strips of plastic around the lid which can be torn open without scissors, but which makes it obvious if there were tampering. Why would any brand not do this? Oh, Wally World, right. Probably saved a tenth of a cent.

As for the perp, I wonder how an ice cream enema would feel?

link.

In my experience, most every brand from every store does it the Blue Bell way. The ones that don’t have a disposable paper “zipper” on a simple rectangular cardboard carton.

That’s stupid of them. You are not going to know about any tampering until you bring the stuff home, if then. I wonder how many consumers know about their sealing technique, and would notice an irregularity. Especially of the ice cream melts a bit on the way home and gets jostled. And who is going to bring the ice cream back once the evidence has literally melted away.
The ice cream I buy is sealed. I’ll have to check the brands I don’t buy. Maybe it is a California consumer protection thing. My store doesn’t carry Blue Bell.
As I said the stuff I buy has plastic, but a cardboard zipper would work too.

(Shrug) Don’t know what to tell you–the ice cream that I buy isn’t. If you google photos of ice cream cartons, you’ll see the distinct absence of seals on the containers. The only photo in the top hits showing a container with a seal turned out to be an article complaining about how hard it is to open the seal. (Can’t read the whole article, but you can see the essence in the preview.)

In our household, ice cream has bee referred to as “the grand elixir of life.”

In my experience, seals are all over the place. Baskin Robbins has a plastic tear off rim on the lid. Hagen Das has a cellophane layer under the lid. Deans has nothing.

(We’re pretty much ice cream snobs, and would never buy Blue Bell.)

Was down in Texas over the weekend - this incident was BIG NEWS! :smack:

Friendly’s ice cream does it the same way Blue Bell does. No cover, no seal, you just open the lid. I believe Ben & Jerry’s does it that way, too. It’s not like we have thousands of surreptitious lickers out there.

Or we didn’t, at least. I had to look this up to find out how they knew this had even happened (idiots videoed themselves and posted it online, crap, people are stupid) and found a story saying that at least one person has decided this is a fun prank and copycatted, down to making a video and posting it online, and just how in hell did our country get to be so fucking stupid.

There is another fucking douchebag who licked an ice cream. Apparently he bought his, but not until after making a video.

Hard to believe so many don’t seal after the Tylenol scare. Licking is hardly the worst thing that someone could do to unsealed ice cream.
Under the lid seals would work just fine, since at least the buyer would know there has been tampering.
Next time I’m in Texas I’m going to the grocery store with a spoon and eat my fill.

Ice cream licking is not the summer fad we needs. Girls in tube tops is the summer fad we need.

Rocky road, preferably.
mmm

There is a new video going around of a guy spitting into a jug of Arizona Tea and putting it back on the shelf. WTF?!?

Moderator Note

In case you haven’t noticed, we have been trying to reduce the misogyny around here lately. While this isn’t exactly a major offender, let’s try to avoid boy’s locker room type comments like this, please.

No, I haven’t noticed. Sorry. Was there some sort of announcement?

Check out this story from USA TODAY: Woman caught on tape peeing in ice cream bucket

The tape also showed the suspect picking her nose and putting her hands in the ice cream.

Eww!!!

I would suppose there may be quite a few copycats.

What about all those jars of olives and pickles? The produce section? Loaves of bread? Those twist ties aren’t exactly vandal proof either.

Bell Bell is my favorite ice cream. The lid does take a little effort to pry off. It’s stuck well to the ice cream.

It is pretty obvious afterwards that the container has been opened.

They’ll probably will start including a plastic seal around the lid to reassure the public.