The Watch Thread

Classic! :slight_smile:

I’ve got an Omega Automatic Seamaster Deville from the mid-60s, 10K gold, a hand-me-down. Doesn’t come more classic.

Question about automatic watches. Does automatic mean self-winding, cuz mine is. Self-winding, that is. I don’t wear it on the weekends and it has stopped by the time I put it back on. How bad is this for the watch? Do I really need to buy one of those thingees you put the watch on and it rocks it so it doesn’t wind down?

Plus, how can I find out what’s it worth? Thanks.

I have a black-and-gray-striped Swatch that I wear at home. On the job at court, I have some other options: A silver Turler that my mom gave me when I was a teenager. A keepsake from my grandfather - the watch’s face is the back of a Kennedy half-dollar. And a Japanese rectangular-face watch that was a gift from my family’s Japanese former exchange student. I wear the black-leather wristband watches with black shoes and belt, and the brown-leather wristbands with brown shoes and belt.

Yes, I know.

From Timezone.com:

An “automatic” wristwatch is a mechanical wristwatch with a self-winding mechanism. In other words, one does not have to wind the crown periodically to keep the watch running. A “manual” or “manual wind” watch must be wound by hand, using the crown, usually every day, to operate continuously.

And then from the same website about how to start a stopped automatic movement.

As for automatic winders…they work, but they’re expensive since not that many people need one. I know they sell them in Skymall magazines, so I’d start there if you’re interested. As for value…It’s so dependant on a billion different variables that you’d be best off taking a bunch of pictures and then posting on a watch forum to get a consensus.

It won’t harm the watch to let it run down. Those automatic winders are mostly to save you the inconvenience of having the set the time and date again. With that said, it should be serviced regularly, as all mechanical watches should.

It depends. If you get a fancy one, they are expensive. Mine was designed for watchmakers, and holds four watches. No case, no wood, no glass. Completely utilitarian. I think I paid about $150 for it.

I’ve heard that it’s better to keep the watches running, so that the lubricants don’t get gummy. Or something. And it’s convenient not to have to set a watch every time you want to wear it. :wink:

You guys need to get a real watch, like mine.

:wink:

Yeah, I’ve heard that too, or similarly, that the oil might spread unevenly. For just weekends, I doubt that’s a concern, but for longer periods I guess you have to choose between suboptimal lubricant or excess wear from running the movement when you’re not wearing it. Pick your poison…

There’s nothing wrong with a Timex, and I like the face on that one. The expandable band would have to go, but I have a Timex field watch, OD green face and nylon strap that is likely to outlast me. It’s the one I wear when I go shooting since while some of my watches may be water resistant to 1,000 feet I don’t think they were designed for an afternoon of recoil from a .45 either. Of course neither was the Timex as far as I know, but all that shock doesn’t seem to have hurt it in the least.

Update on the Sea-Gull (ST5 export model, c 1975). It winds a bit stiff even after the service, but runs at -2 to -8 seconds per day. Position seems to matter. Good show Tianjin Sea-Gull.

It has some rust spotting on the case, so some dabs of rust-remover this weekend.