"THE WIRE": Your Favorite Characters from: THE SCHOOL

Per the discussion of HBO’s “The Wire” in this thread, as well as the discussion in this thread regarding polling to find out who people’s favorite characters from the show are, here is the first poll of several that **Zeldar **and I will be posting in the near future.

The idea was to break the entire cast (over 300 people have appeared on the show) by sub-groups based on how they fit into the story. We then we narrowed those groups down a bit by cutting out characters that appeared in under 10 episodes.

Of course, there are many recognizable and unforgettable characters in that under-10 range (Brother Mouzone was only in seven episodes, for example) so we cherry picked the ones that we thought should be included in the poll. We were pretty liberal w/ the choices but if you feel we missed somebody, feel free to post your thoughts in the thread for the group that character belongs to.

We will be allowing three (3) votes per person for the smaller sub-groups and around 8 per person for the larger groups (The Game, The Police). Once we find the favorites from each group, we’ll create a master poll to determine the final results.

The poll will be for the sub-group: “The School.” These are characters who are mainly involved in the school system story arc of Season Four.

Characters will only be included in a single sub-group each, and because some of the characters could fit in multiple groups (Example: Michael Lee could be included w/ The Street as well as The School), we decided to place them fairly arbitrarily based on where their character best fit story-wise. Michael’s storyline, for example, was born out of The School arc, while Prez, will be included w/ The Police as that’s where a majority of his storylines took place.

Lastly, in case your memory is fuzzy (I know mine was when we started working on this) here is a Wiki link that will help you find out who somebody is, if you don’t remember their name.

Here are the characters that will be voted on in this poll. Please note that the character’s name appears first, followed by the actor’s name and the number of episodes they appeared in.

Michael Lee - Tristan Wilds (23 episodes)
Duquan ‘Dukie’ Weems - Jermaine Crawford (23 episodes)
Randy Wagstaff - Maestro Harrell (14 episodes)
Namond Brice - Julito McCullum (14 episodes)
Assistant Principal Marcia Donnelly - Susan Duvall (12 episodes)
Grace Sampson - Dravon James … (12 episodes)
Professor David Parenti - Dan DeLuca (11 episodes)
Bug - Keenon Brice (10 episodes)
Donut - Nathan Corbett (8 episodes)
Ms. Duquette - Stacie Davis (7 episodes)
Zenobia Dawson - Taylor King (5 episodes)

Michael, Dukie, and Randy – it’s been a couple years since I watched this season (just starting it again now) and none of the others stand out.

Here are the other polls that are up so far:

The Docks

The Paper

I’m voting for:

Michael, Namond, and Asst Principal Donnelly.

Almost nothing in this series warmed my heart more than seeing Namond giving a speech in season five. Goes to prove that these kids, and the situation, aren’t hopeless.

Donnelly’s authentic B-more accent cracked me up so much that I just had to vote for her.

I had Dukie instead of Namond, but I do see your point. Dukie was such a tragic character I just had to acknowledge the excellent writing and acting on his behalf.

It’s going to be hard for me not to include Michael in my Top Ten. He’s part of the soul of the show for me.

Only three, huh? That’s difficult, what an amazing season that was.

Yep. I left out Duquan which makes me feel awful!