The Woodsman - Deserving of Sympathy?

This assumes it is impossible to recover from a heinous sex act, and that’s not necessarily true.

I think the stats are probably accurate in that many child molestors cannot overcome the compulsion. But just as some people overcome the compulsion to drink, gamble, eat, shop, or wash their hands (and no, I’m not comparing these compulsions to those of a molestor directly), I believe there are some people who will respond to treatment and who will never harm children again. I am not convinced that all of these predators deserve to die or be locked up forever. Obviously, the experts must agree or we would never let any of these offendors out on the street again.

No no, I agree with that 100%. The reason given in the other thread to keep minimal penalties for sex offenders is because it is so hard to convict them, that getting them to plead has been the most effective way to get any time out of them. But as said, I’m still chewing on that point as I am not one to give in easily to the easy way.

The one thing any person ever has an illusion of having control over is himself. I don’t think I can imagine anything worse to happen in my life than to suddenly find myself entirely unable to control myself, my feelings, nor even sexual pleasure. You are entirely at the mercy of someone who’s only interest is in pleasing themselves, and you are his toy.
I might be able to act properly in the world for the rest of my life, but I doubt I would ever be able to feel secure–short of erasing my brain and restarting.

If you want to trust your children around them. shrugs
Personally I don’t view life in prison nor execution as particularly horrible fates.* Indeed, worse has probably already been done to them.

I would imagine that many experts feel that execution or life imprisonment is a worse fate than the chance of children being raped. (Though that strikes me as utterly bizarre.) And to some extent, you wouldn’t be a good doctor if you didn’t want to try and cure a person’s illness.
Also note my above post–it is difficult to convict someone for sex crimes–particularly pedophilia or spanking** or such due to the age of the victim and period of time between the crime and the investigation. Getting them to plead to minimal crimes or mental illness can be the only way to get them off the streets. Also, the thing that helps the police get most criminals–that the crook is stupid–tends to not be as true with sex offenders.

• Yeah yeah, I know this statement is easy to snark. But I don’t, and I could offer lots and lots of alternatives I would fear much worse.
    ** Sexual gatification by tormenting or spanking children. Not corporal punishment

From a superficial point of view, The Woodsman is one of the most disturbing movies I’ve ever seen – especially the final park scene.

On the other hand, if a genuine (not falsely accused) pedophile can achieve redemption – well, perhaps it’s not the greatest sin any person can commit. It’s a very unique case, however (and fictional – we must keep that fact firmly in mind!)

I can imagine feeling some degree of sympathy. However my views on crime and punishment has always been that aside from very minor violent offenses, any act of violence should carry a mandatory life sentence, so yeah I can imagine feeling sympathy for someone who has poor impulse control or becomes obsessed with doing things that are criminal. However, I still think pedophiles that act on their desires, just like all violent criminals, should be permanently segregated from society.

That would get rid of all the BS we have now, where we release them but have passed so many laws against their mere existence in society that they form modern day leper colonies and live under bridges like trolls from a fairy tale.

All he needed was a heart.

Nope. Zombies need *brains. *

Lulz…sbt, it was an honest mistake. :smack:

If you say so…but in God’s eyes (not the eyes of the law, obviously) a genuine apology may redeem your soul.

Besides, Kevin Bacon’s character did molest children, and he received justice for it. It’s not like anyone committed slander (or various computer crimes) for the sake of predatory revenge against something that never factually happened. He can’t reverse what he did to those little girls, but at least Bacon’s crime was paid for, in the eyes of the law.

As for other criminal acts, especially ones which can’t be reversed…well, that’s not my call. (Unless “somebody” already asked my advice on how they should proceed…)

Since the subject appears to be concerned with molestors, not with the movie, I am not moving it to Cafe Society.

Please note that it is a zombie thread from 2005 and if you reply to a poster who is no longer among us, you may not actually get a response from that poster.

[ /Modding ]

I have no confidence in your authority to speak for God, assuming such a being exists and I tend not to.

Say what you will about pedophiles, but you must admit they always drive slowly near playgrounds and schools.

Just to reinforce this point I quote the noted natural philosopher Ulysses Everett McGill:

“God might have forgiven you but the state of Mississippi’s liable to be a little more hard-nosed about it”

Yeah, well…I used to be down with vigilante justice, but eventually you must ask yourself, “Why am I doing this, and who’s the Real Predator here?” Most of the time it’s a simple question to answer, but occasionally it’s not so easy – especially when certain hunters I once rubbed shoulders with would complain about “Not being able to beat up N-words & F-words nowadays!” (A direct quote from an ex-comrade, obligatorily edited…)