the word 'putz'

Ever since I have been reading this message board I have been very careful to overlook the word putz. wally used it, now everyone does.

When I was a child my I once called my dad a putz ad I had never seen him get so angry. He turned all red and started breathing fire. He confronterd me with “do you know what that means!?! Don’t you EVER call me that again!!!”

I was just joking for goodness sake.

Seeing it on the board still startles me.

Guess what dad?
PUTZ PUTZ PUTZ PUTZ!!!

WALLY:

SO THERE!

just my pointless mundane thought for the day…

tubagirl

:rolleyes:

:wally :smiley:

:wally that is the symbol I meant in the post
:wally

In 1928, S.J. Perelman, one of America’s wittiest writers, outlined “the 18 steps by which the harmless clod becomes the actively disagreeable outlaw…” Interesting to note how many of these Yiddish words have found their way into English usage!

Pischer
Pachechlick
Nebich
Dapess
Chnyoch
Schmielitzik
Schmendrick
Schlepper
Schmegeggie (my personal favourite)
Schlemiehl
Schmuruck
Schnorrer
Pascudnick
Pascudnyack
Pascudstveh
Schvantz
Schmuck
Potz (with an umlaut).

Spellings are Perelman’s.

Can anyone enlighten this goyim as to the subtle differences between a Pascudnick, a Pascudnyack, and a Pascudstveh?

Hmmm. “Putz” is Yiddish for “penis”.

“Putzen” is German for “to wash”.

Ah, for the good old days of the Fifties and Sixties, when Yiddish was all America’s second language. Some of it even got past TV’s censors!

Putzen would also be the plural form of putz, I presume.

Hmm, and where does “meshuggenah” fit into this?

ok yes putzen mean to wash in german but it is pronounced like put with a zen so it doesn’t work in that way.

Ok I just realized how garbled that is

“Putzen” means, “to polish”, BTW. Not that that makes it any better :wink:

Thanks, Coldfire. “Wir putzen das Auto.” (From an old German class.) I typed faster than I was thinking.

Hmmm… could one say, “Ich putze mein Putz?” :smiley: