The word Shiksa

The n word is a far more offensive term than the one we are talking about. If you talk affectionately about Mrs. Cad, your Jewess, who doesn’t like some TV show, I probably wouldn’t have moderated it, either. Probably not even if you referred to your wife affectionately as your kike.

Also, by the time I saw it, it was a week old. We are a lot less aggressive about moderating old posts, as it tends to draw attention to them.

I think Kike would draw at least a modnote. It is a far more loaded word than Shiksa. Also it is generally punching down.

wait, hang on. I didn’t say I found it funny. I don’t find it funny. I said it was used in an affectionate way, to refer to a partner. Please don’t put words in my mouth.

Honestly, I take offense at the thought that you are accusing me of laughing at this woman for being a non-Jew. That’s kinda gross.

I think this is the most nuanced answer, and approve.

This is… largely true, but I think does dodge the issue a bit. Speaking personally as a largely secular Jew, from a reform family, it was a low-end dig, both as matter of religion, and as establishing and in vs out-group. Especially (!) for the older generation, and/or more conservative members of the religion. My grandmother (Conservative Jew) most definitely used it in a derogatory sense, and was, in all honesty, a bitter woman who was unkind to my father (Reform Jew) for having a gentile as his second wife (my step-mother). Despite the fact that she was kind to both myself and my brother, and made a point of helping out at our temple even if she didn’t share the faith.

My father, one generation removed, would rarely use the term with my brother and I as we reached dating age, to the effect of ‘I don’t mind if you date or marry a shikseh as long as she’s smart!’. He is prone to such malapropisms, and it was wince-worthy if he used in a group of mixed Jews and Gentiles. IMHO he’s still in some way using it to define an outsider (which isn’t a good way to look at your daughter-in-law), but I’d argue his intent was good. But much like the discussion on the N word, best left out in any mixed group.

For the record, he has never once said a poor word about her in terms of religion in our 26 years together (20 married), and his biggest complaint is that she’s too nice to people, not pushy enough to get what she needs or deserves.

So, to wrap it up, I absolutely agree it’s a term that is best left to rot, has different ramifications when used in mono-cultural group (should still rot though), and has very different levels of severity between different generations and members of groups.

Holy crap! You do not come off well here. If any one used the word kike to describe someone and it wasn’t modded, we’d be having words. It’s every bit as bad as the n-word and probably should be k-word if it were anywhere near as common. And Jewess is always offensive it’s good analogy to shikseh. What if I described an African American SO as my n-word (uncensored)?

Keeping in mind my post …

Do you agree at least that the K-word is more offensive than Shiksa?

Or an archaic but appropriate(?) term negress? Is that more offensive than Jewess?

My first (and probably only) experience with the word shikseh was on Seinfeld. Elaine had Jewish guys repeatedly falling for her, and Jerry said it was because she had “shiksa-ppeal.” Was this offensive? And if so, to whom?

I would say no, but as I also said, I think the word is more general use in the NYC area and less offensive in general.

There you go circling the wagons!
How that phrase isn’t also a anti-Indian slur leaves one to ponder. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I tend to prefer less moderation over more. I feel like both Jewess and shiksa have the potential to be nasty, but can be used in milder ways. Perhaps I’m just too old and too accepting of slurs. This is a good conversation.

You are an outstanding Moderator as evidenced by your willingness to listen. I appreciate this conversation as well.

‘I am Katsumoto, and I approve this message.’

Even I would want that modded because I’ve never heard that word used in a non-derogatory sense.

As a matter of opinion, I disagree with you on that. My mother was a Jewess, and that is how my father sometimes describes her.

~Max

I daresay it’s hard to reclaim a word that most non-Jewish women probably didn’t realize was all that offensive to begin with.

(Adding a response just to concur with @Aspenglow and @ParallelLines).

Can I just say that I’m very confused by the timeline of events here? You saw a post from a week ago using the word shiksa. You were apparently not an anyway troubled by it since you then created a topic using that word. You were told (but not moderated) that it was derogatory. You then ask that the old post be moderated and claim the word is offensive and racist.

So are you actually upset by the (again I repeat) week old post, or are you just upset that a mod told you it was derogatory, but didn’t mod the other post?

Isn’t that statement a slur against two cultures/races at once? :stuck_out_tongue:

And used by the OP.

It is a famous quotation made by one politician about himself:

During a successful election campaign for governor in 1983, he boasted, “The only way I can lose this election is if I’m caught in bed with either a dead girl or a live boy.”

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/eight-quotes-by-about-former-louisiana-gov-edwin-edwards-2021-07-12/