"The world's goin' to hell but I'm still here" MMP

{{{hugs}}} (I can’t remember your new nickname :frowning: ) I also have a migraine, but what else is new. I hope you feel better soon.

@silenus now I shall also be shopping for full size candy bars.

Pixel is yelling at me right now because I haven’t fed him. He has to wait an hour after his pill. He feels that I am torturing him. He is being WRONGED! He’s got quite some lungs on him.

I asked my doctor for a few pain pills for this week, since I have family visiting and tend to miss out on a lot things, like birthdays and Thanksgiving and Christmas. She gave me 5 (which is perfect for this visit) but added a note that I should not expect anything like this more than once a year. 5 Vicodin a year. I’m assigning these now, and my uncle might not “get one” after all. Thanksgiving, my birthday, my daughter’s birthday, Christmas and 1 left to divide between my dad’s birthday and my son’s. Of course, I might not need them as assigned, but generally speaking that’s not how things go.

The worst part was spending half the night worrying that I had done some great wrong by just asking. Pain management is insane. They’re considering putting me on a treatment to help pain that will require 5 days in ICU with constant monitoring that I keep breathing, but a small amount of Vicodin is nearly criminal.

I guess I’ll feed my little gremlin.

Happy Monday everyone.

I can access (read and write) to the company drive now. I’ve been told not to save anything to the FTP drive, as IT needs to do something to it. She’ll call me back. In the meantime, I can open files that were received up to Saturday and I save them on the company drive. I either delete the FTP file once I’m done with it, or rename it. So while I can do my work, I’ll have to wait before I do the deleting/renaming.

But I have a mountain of other things to work on.

Oh, yeah. And the beds - at least at my husband’s family’s houses - aren’t what we typically envision here. They’re generally a wood platform with a thin (think maybe 1 1/2 inch) cushion on top. They’re also usually custom made so they’re wider than a king bed (think about a king bed + a twin bed). My kids used to sprawl on top of me because I was softer than the bed.

Also, it’s not uncommon if we’re visiting other family in India for us to share a room with aunts, uncles and grandparents or for someone to just sleep on the porch.

When we were last at my husband’s family’s house in the forest, there wasn’t any room in the second bedroom or our bedroom so my BIL slept outside on the porch, which was on the roof - they have lions nearby and you could hear them chuffing around the house at night. It was both mildly cool and a lot alarming. (And that’s not normal for the rest of India, but sure makes for interesting conversation.)

OK, I’ve been watching reruns of Perry Mason since I was a kid.

It only just dawned on me that if Hamilton Burger’s nickname was Ham, then he’d be called Ham Burger.

Yeah, I’m slow. :frowning:

The amount of antihistamines (enough to dry up a swamp) I’ve been on doesn’t seem to be as effective as it was, and I’m afraid to go up any more. Three weeks until my appointment. And I’m not sure how I’ll get there. Options are A) take the train, spend a night in a hotel (trains don’t run early enough to get me there the day of), and use Uber, so expensive and time-consuming or B) ask the same friend who took me last time (for pay–only fair), and worry about breakthrough COVID since she hangs out unmasked with the unvaxxed. All my other local friends either work or refuse to drive in Seattle.

Holidays. Some of us faculty spent years fighting to get Martin Luther King a school district holiday. One administrator said, “But we hardly have any Black students.” :roll_eyes: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: We finally succeeded the year I left. We also had to fight for Veterans Day. Columbus Day was always a day off, in large part because “It’s huntin’ season!” Anyway, still conscious of holidays and observe accordingly. I’d hang a flag for Flag Day, as my dad always did, but such is forbidden here at the complex.

I have many happy memories of watching Perry Mason with Dad (an attorney and judge), and he chuckled over “Ham Burger” every time.

Nettie: how long of a wait will their be for the Bronco once ordered? I hope DH takes you out for a nice lunch or something to make up for losing a Saturday.

I read this as “Light volume in Smells,” which could be good.

WetOne, hope you feel better, body and soul.

I’m envious. Which museums? Field? Science and Industry?

Another “knee-dee” person here. Left knee is giving me grief of late. I suppose a visit to somebody is called for to find out what’s going on there. Also my right thumb; while I’ve had arthritis there for some time, it now seems to pop in and out of joint, rather than just bend like a normal thumb. It’s not painful, just weird.

Life in the PNW is trending to the wetter wedder as fall descends upon us. Can’t complain, as we have been in drought conditions for some years now. Of course, “drought” here means that you only get ten feet of rain instead of the usual 30. But the forest fires are getting worse every year, so more water is mo’ bettah.

Cooked up a pot of ragu a couple of days ago. Very rich and very fatty stuff, so we’re already burned out on it. Into the freezer it goes, to eventually develop an icy crust of dun-colored fat and then be thrown out as an unidentifiable substance.

Happy new thread!

Today isn’t a company holiday, although my fed customer isn’t open/working. Two holidays each year are “floaters” for us, with the other being Presidents Day. Even with no customer availability I’m pretty busy today…in fact I should probably be working right now instead of posting, but I just had some lunch (oatmeal) so I’m considering myself to be still on a break. :smiley:

My new hire seems content to busy himself with help desk calls for this and that, reading reference material, and completing some required training today. It’ll be a slow start for him, because he’ll spend the second half of tomorrow in an online orientation session. Hopefully, the baby steps will help keep him from feeling immediately overwhelmed. I don’t need him to really jump into anything until Wednesday, when he’ll (voluntarily) be in the office because both the lead of the team he’ll primarly be supporting and I will be there. He knows she won’t have time to talk with him much; he just wants to be see-able. I think I’d feel the same if I were starting a new job that was 95% telework.

Yep, that’s what I take! No tummy problems except for the burps: I take a pill each morning, and about an hour later I start burping until I eat some lunch.

I’ve been taking that for many, many years. Twice in my life I’ve been diagnosed with a Vitamin D deficiency: the last time, once my levels were “normal” I started taking a 2,000 IU maintenance dose every day. I’ve never looked back.

Evening all.

Skool’s still busy- the way they do the modules is basically one week of intense classes, then do the rest of it at home, except this one’s two weeks. It’s more than a bit lopsided over the next few months- I have three weeks in a row coming up, then only one class in 2 months. Makes it a bit tricky to figure out the best way to fit things in…

My brain is currently so full of lernin’ stuff that Mumper things are barely getting a look in. It’s probably better than me trying to fit assorted Mumper pets, SOs and offspring into essays though I suppose… How does one properly cite a dope thread anyway?

Happy ambiguous holiday those that apparently have one!

Afternoon all. Have a new pair of athletic shoes from Dick’s (I’ll try that Fleet Feet store in a couple of days for a 2nd pair) and shopping and sammich have both been acquired and stowed in the appropriate places. Practice with the 8U boys this afternoon, so the new shoes will get a good tryout.

My knees occasionally give me a Rice Crispies morning (snap/crackle/pop when I get out of bed and stand up), but no pain or problems moving, so hopefully they’ll stay that way for the forseeable future.

talky, like nellie I’m curious which musuems. The Field and the Science and Industry are among my all-time favorites, but the Art Museum and Shedd Aquarium are nice too. Enjoy.

And I was going to correct you by saying India doesn’t have lions…but I checked and damned if they don’t–so thanks to you I learned something today.

nellie, hope the appointment thing gets worked out.

wet one (you have a new Mumper name now?), hang in there.

quietly, I always loved that cartoon.

Seanette, be brave and bear with the trip–when guys get an idea stuck in their heads like that, only way to remove it is with a crowbar.

Sari, Nissan’s at least pretty dependable, albeit small. You’ll do fine.

Everyone have a good day.

talky that forest house sounds cool! Your husband’s family reminds me of my husband’s family. His mom once* invited 3 of her friends to our house and they all slept in her room. They also have a city house and a big family compound somewhere else, where they all show up and 50 kids run amuck and a good time is had by all. Sleeping optional.

*It wasn’t once, come to think of it. She also didn’t tell us they were coming. Surprise!

We picked up a new puppy yesterday* and the breeder had disposable booties to wear for that very reason

*Keep it quiet until I can get the photos up.

We’re thinking the Field Museum - we’ve got the one full day so we thought we’d just spend the whole day there, then crash back at the hotel with some takeout. Bonus if the place happens to have a pool. If not, it’ll be movie night.

ratty, I wouldn’t have believed it, either, unless I’d heard it. We actually drove out on my husband’s uncle’s motorcycle to see them, but didn’t. Which was probably fortunate since I tend to be a stupid accident magnet (like that time I got lanced by a stingray in Georgia).

And sunny, that’s pretty much exactly my husband’s family’s setup! They’ve got the house in the city and the house in the forest preserve. And no matter whose house you visit, there are typically people everywhere (which is absolutely not a problem, just different). The kids usually stay up until 1 or 2 in the morning doing whatever they happen to do until they get tired and pass out somewhere and get carried off to bed…somewhere. If we’re at a family friend’s house, they’ll get chucked into the same bed as like five other kids, or they’ll wander to our room and sleep there (where it’s quite possible other kids are piled). It’s a lot of fun and super relaxed, though we’re all really glad to have the space to spread out when we come back! I get tired of touching people after a while!

I’m pretty sure this nickname has been around a while…

I decided on supper - in about an hour, I’ll start throwing it together. So that’s one less thing to think about. :smiley:

Ugh, it’s sticky and oogy weather. Can’t believe I have to keep flipping the A/C back on.

Despite being a jerk, George is a very nice kitty who doesn’t give us any problems with the crate. After he was dropped off at the vet, hubs and I drove to the dispensary down the hill and then went to a small, locally owned place for lunch. Last time we were there I got our friend some stuffed cabbage rolls which he liked, so we made sure to get him some more today.

Hubs is off getting George now. He’s only been here for three months and already it seems very odd to not have him around.

There would be a lot less love in your life if you didn’t have dogs.

Moooooom, I would go with your holiday list with the addition of Labor day (us workin’ stiffs deserve a day to commemorate).

unknown, I hope that George is beginning to come around from his snipping.

I got a call last night from my cousin Sis’ daughter. Sis was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer last month and is on hospice. She lost her husband two months ago and her youngest son was killed in a car wreck yesterday. Sis’ life has been a really hard one and her daughter was asking for advice on whether or not to tell her mom about Justin (he lived ~850 miles away, so he wasn’t dropping in on a regular basis). I advised her to be gentle, but tell her mom. I know Sis only has maybe a couple of months at best, but the secrecy would leave the rest of the family walking on eggshells with her.

The moved me to an old lady job at irk today. :stuck_out_tongue: I think that this one may work out. My new boss is a good buddy with one of my old managers and I’ve had some good interactions with him in the past, along with having ridden with him a couple of times. I even caught a couple of errors that came my way that could have gone out the door (I’ve worked in audit functions most of my life).

We’ll see how this works out.

Stay safe and healthy y’all!

Say what now?

I thought she didn’t care for it and we picked something else? @peedin help? Am I misremembering?

@nelliebly, lead time on a Bronco can be a year or more (sigh). DH did agree that it’s fair for me to get to pick where we go for lunch that day.

Tired, unhappy digestive system, sore arm. Not a happy girl today.

Last night I had to turn on my electric mattress pad, go figure.

I know Seanette isn’t happy with her nickname, which is why I use her proper one, we’ve never come to a consensus on that, and Emily didn’t like Midget and doesn’t care for MG much, and I’m not sure that has been resolved, but I did not know if wetone was a problem. I await my further education.

Soccer has been practiced, but it’s getting dark around 6:30pm and the days will keep getting shorter, so practicing will have to start earlier or we’ll have to close out our practicing. Less than 3 weeks to go.

red, that’s a issue I hope I never have to deal with. Such tragedy. And hope the job works out well, “old lady…”

OK, need to get some sustenance and read the Sunday paper. Take care all.