The worst movie remake of all time.

Some movies just shouldn’t be remade. They are a great ride, fun to watch every once in a while, and never disappoint. But some genius always thinks he can make a few bucks by making a remake of the original hit.

My choice:

The Longest Yard - What a cheesy, self-indulgent wank-fest from Adam Sandler and Chris Rock. The original was gold, with Burt Reynolds and Eddie Albert. I couldn’t believe Reynolds agreed to be in this dreck.

Your choice?

The 1976 version of “King Kong”.

How about Gus Van Sant’s more-or-less shot-for-shot remake of Psycho?

The remakes of The 39 Steps have been completely overshadowed by the original. Whoever suggested that the relentlessly chipper Kenneth More should play Richard Hannay ought to have been sacked on the spot. The original had Robert Donat and Madeleine Carroll, and I don’t think you can remake that.

That dismal remake of DOA with Dennis Quaid and Meg Ryan.

Planet of the Apes. Damn that was messed up.

The TV version of **Taking of Pelham 123 **(didn’t see the Denzel one)

Rollerball

“Miracle on 34th Street” with David Hartman in the 70s. Ugh. There was a more recent remake that looked even worse, but I didn’t see it.

Another one that looked bad is the remake of Alec Guinness and Peter Sellers’ “The Ladykillers”, but I didn’t see that either. That is, I’ve seen the original half a dozen times, but not the remake.

The Wickerman

Remakes are a mystery to me. I suspect that some people will just go to the movies to watch anything. You could remake “It’s Pat” and people are going to go watch it.

I didn’t even know that any of the movies mentioned above had been remade. I think the only remake I’ve ever seen in my life was the Hitcher, which was awful. The original only came out in the mid 80’s and they’re remaking it [in 2007] already??

The remake of Charade - The Truth About Charlie.

Replacing the Cary Grant role with…Mark Wahlberg. 'Nuff said.

The Pink Panther with Steve Martin?

The stage version of the movie is, in some ways, even better than Hitchcock (and I’m a big fan of the movie). Much funnier – and it manages to do every single scene in the movie with a four-person cast (one actor plays Hannay, another plays all the ingenues, and two actors play everyone else). If you get a chance, see it.

Remakes I can understand (sort of). It’s when they start making remade squeals to remakes that my head starts spinning around at.

I mean we have the orginal Halloween and Halloween 2, right?
A remake of Halloween I can understand. A sequel to that remake…another remake…Halloween 2…I just don’t get.
What kind of a boring world have we come to where we have to remake a whole movie series? Are they that strapped for ideas?

The Flight of the Phoenix (2004) took the plot of the original then made it much less believable, threw in terrible performances and sucked all the drama out of it.

That reminds me of the '70s made-for-TV remake of It’s a Wonderful Life with Marlo Thomas in the Jimmy Stewart role. I think Trapper John was her husband (what is his name?). I believe the title was It Happened One Christmas.

The sad part is I loved it. I think I was probably 9 years old. Then I saw the original; it was so much more wonderful. :slight_smile:

Oh man, I just looked it up. 1977, so I was a ripe old 14. Look at the cast! Orson Wells as Mr. Potter, Wayne Rogers (that’s his name!) as Marlo’s husband, Doris Roberts (Everybody Loves Raymond’s mother) as Marlo’s mom and … CHRISTOPHER GUEST as Harry Bailey. Christopher Guest!

C. Thomas Howell played somebody, probably one of the kids (Zuzu?). Cloris Leachman is in it too, but then again, she was in everything in the 1970s.

The 1960 remake of the 1925 adaptation of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s “The Lost World.” The original used stop motion while the abysmal remake used lizards and such with horns and fins.

I have to go with this one. It also contains what in retrospect has to be one of the unintentionally funniest scenes in a horror movie ever - Vince Vaughn whacking off while watching Anne Heche take a shower. It was just plain creepy when the film first came out, but having seen Vaughn in all those fratboy comedies he’s done in recent years (Wedding Crashers, Dodgeball, Old School) just throws the scene, as well as his entire performance, into a whole different context.

Sleuth with Jude Law. Completely ruined all sense of coherency and tension of the original, whilst adding an unneeded and unwanted gay overtone. An absolutley dire retread of one of my favourite films.

Win. Thread.

I liked the Moroder version of Cat People more than the original - though the original had some very good moments - so I can see the point. But it seems to be very hard to pull off.