The worst thing about the low carb craze

When I lived in the LA area there was a small-time chain of Japanese-style fast food restaurants (Yoshinora? it was called something like that) that used to advertise their “beef bowl.” Actually, given that the bowl was comprised of about 70% noodles (yep, I tried it… :frowning: ), it wasn’t “low-carb” by any stretch of the imagination, but the name resonated.

Arby’s Low Carbys. That makes me ill.

Also… people buying the low carb bars at the store where I work, and then complaining that they’re 2.50 when a regular candy bar is .75. That’s what you get, my friend… for that big red A.

The worst abomination I’ve seen in the low-carb nonsense was a cow-orker tut-tutting my curried tofu while stuffing her fat face with–and I’m not making this up–pork rinds dipped in Pancho’s cheese dip. Tale of the tape six months later: still on Atkins, still fat.

Our chief weapon is moderation…moderation and exercise…exercise and moderation… Our two weapons are exercise and moderation…and will power… Our three weapons are exercise, moderation, and and will power…and an almost fanatical devotion to calorie counting… Our four…no… Amongst our weapons… Amongst our weaponry…are such elements as exercise, moderation… I’ll come in again.

But you’re right (and this is by no means true of all, or even most Atkins dieters) - there’s an undercurrent of laziness - to the ‘casual’ Atkins dieter (i.e. the ones that won’t lose weight in the long run - a significant subset of the ‘Hey, it says I just have to eat a fuckload of meat!’ crowd), the plan is attractive as one where they can lose weight without applying a grain of effort or moral fibre It is the remote control of all diets, the comfortable armchair of all weight-loss plans.

Yeah, it’s funny how Atkins evolved from a high protein diet to a low carb diet!!

<slight hijack>I’m not knocking it, it’s the only thing that has worked for me (have lost like 30 lbs in the last 6 mos)…I guess a lightbulb finally turned on when I realized how much sugar is in things like ketchup, spaghetti sauce, yogurt, bread, etc. Plus, cutting out the candy bar breaks and the nightly bowl of ice cream has had something to do with it, too. Why Atkins finally knocked the sense into me I can’t quite explain, however.</hijack>

Anyway, the “low-carb” mania reminds me of the “low-fat” mania from a few years ago. Things like Hershey’s Chocolate Syrup were marketed as LOW FAT!!! Never mind that it is basically pure sugar with chocolate flavoring added!! :rolleyes: