Theists: I am still alive: Valteron

We’re insufficiently clubbable, perhaps?

Smitten.

But I for one am glad that Krishna did not smite Valteron so that he was reincarnated as a newt.

Or perhaps Loki, trickster that he is, will just smite Valteron in his own good time.

What you are giving me is a slightly varied version of the argument I get from a lot of Muslims with whom I debate on the internet. “You have hardened your heart against Allah and you refuse to believe in Him, so what good would proof be, since you would persist anyhow in your unbelief?”

I think they much teach that line in the Islamic schools because I get it all the time. I get another version from Christians, but the logic is the same.

My answer: How very convenient for you. It then becomes MY fault that you do not present proof of the existence of your alleged God.

How do you know I would not believe conclusive proof? Try presenting me some and THEN you can say that I am the one who refuses to believe.

Look, I am almost 60. I will probably die in the next 25 years. Almost 100% sure I will die in the next 40. So if a thousand years is like a day to this alleged God, why not take advantage of my generous offer to pop me off in the past hour? It would not have been all that premature a death.

Indeed, if God really loves me, he could have offed me, and then accepted me into Heaven as a reward for helping him to convince a whole bunch of SD atheists of his existence. Or at least, if not convince them, at least rattle their disbelief enough to eventually lead them to believe someday.

I’m convinced. I will from this day forward be an atheist.

Oh wait. I was an atheist before. Never mind!

Matthew 1: 5Then the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. 6"If you are the Son of God," he said, “Throw yourself down. For it is written:
" ‘He will command his angels concerning you,
and they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.’**”

7Jesus answered him, “It is also written: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’”

Not that you’re the Son of God or anything, but the last line is relevant.

wow, you showed Him. :wink:

The OP is stamped 11:40 EST, which is 26 minutes late. Perhaps god proved the point by sparing you from death but causing you delay. God also proved the point by preventing you from posting in THAT thread.

Ah, so I was right! Some extra-dimensional monstrosity now inhabits Valteron’s soulless husk. We won’t be fooled!

“…because he produces results no better than chance.”

I’m not trying to convince you of anything, honest. I just think that your logic is flawed.

Do you have a cite for any single Doper who would have been convinced by your demise that a diety might exist? I can point to at least one in this thread who would have assumed you were simply joking around. Until you prove to me that there is even one Doper who would respond to the event of your death, in such a manner, with a change in their position on theism, I still don’t see the point.

Note, please, I’m not arguing with you about the existence or non-existence of God. I’m arguing with your alleged proof.

Upon further reflection, maybe all locked threads are a sign of god’s disapproval.

The last line is not relevant.

I am going to die anyway in what will be in fact an instant in time (a few decades IF that) and I made the alleged God a sporting offer. [B]I ACTUALLY LAID MY LIFE ON THE LINE, DANG IT ALL! **
In your example from Matthew, the devil was NOT putting his ass on the line. He was asking Jesus to do tricks. Besides, it seems to me that the devil would already know who Jesus was and that he was the Son of God. After all, the Book of Job makes it clear that the Devil and God talk together.

Could Satan have been unaware that God had become man in the person of Jesus some thirty years earlier? With all the demons that Satan has on earth, none of them reported that upon the birth of a baby in a manger in Bethlehem, there was “a multitude of the heavenly host” screaming to high Heaven, wise men, etc. None of them reported that there was a holy guy doing miracles?

So your comparison of my generous offer to God and the situation described in Matthew is specious at best.

Seems pretty cut and dry to me. You claimed that if you didn’t return to post at a certain time, then God exists.

Sure, there was some mucky-muck about dying and all, but I’ll just stick to the unassailable logic!

Tell you what, if this message doesn’t get eaten by hamsters, it’s absolute proof that God wanted you to read it.

PS 2:4 The One enthroned in heaven laughs;
the Lord scoffs at them.

NIV

That’s stupid, it’s proof that the hamsters wanted him to read it.

Or what? He’ll kill me?

Hey, I’ve been inviting God to kill me regularly for the last four or five years. (Hey, why not?) Pesky bugger hasn’t ponied up yet. My bet is he’s been on the john for the last fifteen centuries or so, and all the prayers, demands, and supplications have been going to voicemail. Once he finished up in there and checks his messages, then he’ll start with all the requested smackdowns. (There will be a sulpher smell. But it wouldn’t be polite to mention it.)

How about this quote from Galatians 6:7: “Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.” (King James version (a guy who believed in witches and burning witches, btw).)

I have been VERY insolent to the alleged God in the past couple of hours, would you not agree? Indeed, if I were in a country like Saudi Arabia making these statements I would be in deep shit for blasphemy.

So why has God not reacted? If you knock at a door and nobody answers or reacts inside, it might indicate that nobody is in there, or it might just mean they do not want to answer.

But if you take to hurling eggs and shit at the door and there is still no reaction from inside, would you not start to lean to the theory that nobody is home?

Perhaps God IS mocked because he does not exist any more than Zeus or Wodin?

…or it could be that He just doesn’t care what you say.

Most of your Norsk type gods are very excitable, only one was really low-key.

After reading that, I now realize that God is PUNishing me with your jokes instead of killing me. How diabolical! Oh wait, that means “devil-like”.