Theory On Why Most UFOs Are Saucer Shaped?

What other Dopers have proposed IS more plausible than what you insist.

The saucer is just the landing vehicle. The main ship is cup shaped.

Yes, I have noticed that. Less bigfoot and Nessie sightings, too.

I used to think most of these sightings were honest mistakes, but if that were true then the amount of pics should have increased with everybody carrying a camera. Now I have to conclude most are deliberate lies.

Devil’s advocate, maybe, but most cell phone cameras still have crap resolution compared with a regular camera. And even a regular camera won’t do you much good at night. “Yup, Jim, that’s a fuzzy white blob in the sky, all right.”

That joke was a reference to something I saw on TV a while ago. I think someone claimed to see a UFO, but it actually turned out to be a Frisbee. Actually, I think there was a soda can attached to the Frisbee. I will have to do some research to see if I can find it.

Plausibility is not some immutable quality. The OP has given us a set of information, and, taking that information as true, no explanation given is quite plausible. Given that he did see it clearly, and that his brain is not playing tricks on him, the most plausible explanation is either some sort of mirage-like phenomenon, something like balled lightning, or an aircraft of some kind–even if it’s smaller than it appears.

That said, I must admit that his OP seems to indicate that he wants to invite less plausible answers, just for fun.

My favorite? That flying saucers are exactly that. Those are just dinner plates that got away. The spoons are probably crying their eyes out, and the cows have lost their drive for heights.

I like that. Much more bettar. Btw what flying saucer?

You’re right; I shoulda just link that thread. Perhaps this thread coulda gone in different direction… but at this point I’m just gonna keep repeating sayin this: “What flying saucer?” Thanks for the constructive criticism. You’re okay.

I recall a History or Discovery Channel episode once that basically went in depth with physicists about how, IF aliens existed and were visiting us, it all could work. IIRC it was framed as if we found and reclaimed an alien spacecraft, and the engineers and physicists had to theorize on what all the pieces on the drawn of blueprints did, given some basic information (i.e., we know it’s not from anywhere near here, it can fly in the atmosphere, etc etc).

As I recall, one of the theories for the saucer shape had to do with bending space/time, but I don’t recall more than that. The one I DO remember is because it amused me to no end: flying saucers are the flashy sports car of the alien world. That is to say, they have the technology perfected, and while more practical Cigar-shaped cruisers are for military or practical expeditions, the Flying Saucer model is more like an impractical Delorean or other showy, impractical car that’s not designed for efficiency, but rather just to show off to your neighbors and go vacationing in.

Actually, from what I’ve read, UFO sightings have increased by a substantial amount over the last few years — one of the reasons the UK Ministry of Defence gave for closing its UFO desk was the rising volume of reports.

Brittekland - Could you please post a link to the news stories from Japan and Mexico that you have referred to a few times. I’m also skeptical but not trying to pile on, I’m genuinely curious to see what you’re referring to. Thanks.

Once I tried a few times briefly but I couldn’t find them easily. That HC UFO show reruns are still airing regularly. The saucers are identical ones in both Mexico and Japan photos. I will look for the photos again.

So is the purpose of this thread to discuss why UFOs are saucer-shaped, or to talk about a specific UFO sighting? I’m confused.

Lone Star.

I made an account just to answer/debate on your question. I personally witnessed a triangular object something similar to Arizona sightings, it was huge and I was not the only person who witnessed it. It was during bombing of Belgrade (Serbia) by NATO forces in May 1999. I’m not going to go in to details of my sighting since it’s not the subject of the topic.

I also noticed that small crafts (UFOs) are round.
My thought is that they are like that because of some sort of magnetic drive that works trough either something similar to LHC (Large Hardon Collider) or trough centrifugal spinning of some sort of magnets, creating strong magnetic force around it, which would explain why usually people who witnesses it in close range loose all radio comm.
Large ones are probably wide enough to engulf this kind of “propulsion” so it doesn’t influence the design of the craft.

What do you think? Haven’t been able to google and find some deeper thoughts on this subject and majority of people seems to stray from the subject. It’s more mockery to them since they haven’t witnessed it.

Probably from seeing flying wings (which were uncommon until the Stealth fighter and bomber became public knowledge) and by seeing lenticular clouds.

Reference:

YB-35 - Northrop YB-35 - Wikipedia

YB-49 - Northrop YB-49 - Wikipedia

Lenticular clouds - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenticular_cloud

Let’s do this the Star Trek Way.

The USS Enterprise enters orbit around a lovely blue-white planet the natives call…oh…Urath.

Kirk summons Spock, Scotty & Dr McCoy to act as his advisers.
“Gentlemen–our mission is to contact the citizens of Urath. Suggestions?”

Spock: "Captain, the planet has an extensive digital network,. I am confident that, given the Enterprise’s superior computers, and my own expertise, of course…

Dr McCoy: “Of course!

Spock:…thank you, Doctor—given these examples, I can easily hack into the systems, & send global peace messages to the whole planet."

Kirk: “Good, good…Scotty, any ideas?”

Scotty: Well, Cap’n, I cannae deny they also have a well-engineered Analog Carrier Wave system–I think they call it radio. T’would take me lads in Engineering two shakes to build a system, & send a signal to every receiver on the planet. If I run it through the Warp Drive’s Di-lithium Crystals, they’ll even receive the message through radios that are switched off!"

Dr McCoy: “Why all the fancy folderol? We can easily see large ceremonial plazas from orbit. Just land a shuttle, step out, & say Hi!”

Kirk: “No-no-no gentlemen! None of those will do! No, instead, we’ll flit around in rural areas, anally probe some people for no very good reason, and never speak with anybody of any authority. And well create obscure, geometrical patterns in wheat fields with the Tractor Beams. Because they’re pretty.”

Spock & McCoy stare at each other.
McCoy whips out his hypo-spray, drugs Kirk into unconsciousness, & they schedule him for a long stay in the Starfleet Home For Stressed-Out Galactic Heroes.
BTW–if you claim they’re hiding, g;lowing saucer-shaped ships wouldn’t be very hide-able. Even we have Stealth.

I know this is a zombie thread, but still: the reason for some saucer-shaped UFOs is probably lenticularclouds.

My husband and I saw the ones in the second link, from a different angle, and they were way more spectacular than they look in that photo. It would’ve been very easy to take them for alien craft.

Something similar, for sure. I think it was actually the MES (Massive Erection Smasher)

Before you theorize how they might work, you need to prove that they exist. For the same reason that theorizing what Santa Claus has for dinner, or the reason why dragons breathe fire, or why leprechauns are green is worthless speculation.

Before you can even say that “small crafts” are round, you need to prove that “small crafts” exist and are not just points of light, reflections or figments of someone’s imagination.