There's no fucking Vegemite.

You either love it or hate it

Kambuckta.

We have noted that you have no vegemite in your pantry. Please turn in your Australian citizenship card and move on to some other place that will accept ‘your kind’ of people.

Thank you.

No, it’snot. (Actually, they’re out of Vitawheats right now, but they restock regularly.)

I also recommend their Best Before Sale stuff…a CASE of Peppermint Crisps for $5!! And there are the Vitawheats - 3 packages for $3.95!

I have never had Vegemite.

The only time I ever found it in a mainstream grocery store here in Canada, it was filed with the cleaning supplies, apparently because no-one knew what it was. I know about it mostly from the SDMB.

Am I missing anything?

Note to self: Never run out of cheddar cheese. American is a poor substitute on a toasted Vegemite sandwich.

That is an impossibly sad story. How can this be, in a just world?

I found a little jar of Marmite at a Kroger in their surprisingly well-stocked international foods aisle so I bought it. I approached it with trepidation, but it turns out that I like it. I haven’t seen any Vegemite anywhere local, though.

My Vegemite supply is stable, thank goodness; however, I just finished the Weet Bix. The brick-and mortar shop for this place happens to be pretty close by; they sell the big 750g box for… $11.95. Oh, and they’re out of stock. Of course.

My sweet MaxTheVool bought me some crumpets, though. I’m not so hard-core that I eat them with Vegemite, although I’ve seen it done.

Crumpets are good, but sometimes you just want Weet Bix, ya know? I do three. With brown sugar. Mmm.

Fucking Vegemite, eh? Never tried that kind before. :wink:

I had it as a kid. My Mum brought some back from Australia. My God it was vile! And evil! I can’t even describe the terrible sour taste of it. Then again I was maybe 10 or 12 years old and thought Captain Crunch was a breakfast delicacy at the time.

I’d like to try it again and compare with my memory of the insultingly sour crappiness from my youth.

True. And there’s no nailing Jell-O to a tree either.

Vegemite fans should be sectioned. (safe for work youtube video).

Marmite is the one true spread, peace be upon it.

The cleaning supplies is probably the perfect place for that vile concoction.

We need to take off and nuke the whole global supply from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.

I like Marmite too. The British stuff, anyway. Tried the NZ stuff, and didn’t care for it nearly as much. :confused:

Tried Aussie mite and Mighty mite. Meh. As I said before, Promite is okay in emergencies.

To me, vegemite is best for cooking (stews, soups, chowders) while marmite is best for spreading on my english muffins, toasted and slathered with butter, 8 year old cheddar, onion, and sun-dried tomatoes. But vegemite is nice there too.

Let’s just give out a nice big hug for all yeast spreads, m’kay?

I’ve never ordered from them, although they appear to have a pretty good selection. Some of their stuff is REALLY expensive though, and some of it you can actually get at regular stores in the US much cheaper.

For example, they charge $2.25 for a Violet Crumble Bar, but you can get the same thing off the shelf at Cost Plus World Market for about $1.30.

They charge $8.95 for a 7oz bag of Darrel Lea Strawberry Licorice. I picked up a 1lb (16oz) tub of exactly the same stuff for $4.00 at my local Trader Joe’s the other day.

When i want stuff from home, i usually call my mother and ask her to send me a parcel with some goodies in it.

Unless you happen to live here in Vegas. I used to have to get my folks to mail it to me (and those international postal rates are nasty) but since moving to this desert hellhole I found a great place to buy it. The thought of running out gives me vague chills. Luckily they also sell great pies (for when I am too lazy to make them) and other assorted snacks that I miss.

So, what is the difference between Vegemite, Marmite, and Promite? I’ve never had any of these :o

Marmite
Vegemite
Promite

And Og help you if you try to nail Vegemite.

One of the linked articles says that Marmite, at least, is available in Canada. I’ll have to have another look at the larger food stores. Or maybe a specialized importer.

I was heartbroken over the weekend. I’d got some crumpets with my weekly shop, anticipating lovely hot, crunchy, buttery goodness with some vegemite just to top it off (aside: the only places I can eat vegemite [barring soups and stews] is on hot buttered toast or crumpets, where the butter outweighs the vegemite by about 2x. Anything else gives me heartburn something nasty :(). Only, no vegemite! Oh no! My last jar that I remember buying is in my desk at work!

However, my pantry of DHOOM saves the day. Tucked down the back, in a corner I rarely check, was a completely unopened jar of vegemite! And it was only 2 years out of date!! And it was still good. Mmmm. Wish I could have crumpets at work.

This is why you can’t get a woman.