Thermostat with auto season switch

I’m looking for a thermostat with an auto-season switch for a US home we are in every few months.

I’d like it to be able to keep the temperature between about 55 and 80 using gas heat and electric AC. Our current one, and all the ones I have seen force you to manually select heat or cool.

Many of the more advanced stats (which are more expensive, but not outrageously so) allow for “automatic changeover”; which is exactly what you are asking for.

For many of them the ‘automatic changeover’ feature might not be plainly evident when you look at the stat. That’s because for some of them the automatic changeover feature has to be selected when the stat is ‘configured’, or set up. (which is usually in the technical menus and accessed only through the installation guide or installation manual)

The one I like most is the Honeywell Vision Pro 8000, which costs around $130 wholesale. ($300 or so installed, but it is a fairly easy DIY)

I’m certain there are other Honeywell et al models that offer that feature as well. (and off the top of my head I’m not sure which ones…)

Heres a link to the Vision Pro at Amazon.

Honeywell has a lot of different models so make sure you get the right one. If you have a 2 stage gas furnace, or a 2 stage A/C you’ll need a stat that has multistages. If you have a garden variety furnace and A/C than a 1 stage heat/ 1 stage cool stat will be fine.

If you want to know if the stat you’re considering has automatic changeover------or if you want to see if other Honeywell models have this feature---------- their customer service is pretty good.

Their phone number is 888-244-4784 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting888-244-4784end_of_the_skype_highlighting. If you have any other questions post them here, or PM me and I can give you my phone number. I have experience with this stuff.
Am I the only one that finds the skype highlighting irritating?

Your specific question seems to have been answered but I’m curious why you need to maintain that temperature range in the summer? I understand heating in the winter to avoid freezing pipes, etc., but cooling an unoccupied space in the summer?

Often humidity/heat can damage fabric, woodwork, furniture and encourage mold growth.

Edit: Too late.

Not only that, but who wants to come home to a 90 degree house.
Personally, I never shut off my HVAC controls. When I’m going to be gone for a while, I just set them so the HVAC most likely won’t come on, but it’ll still keep my house from turning into an oven/freezer. Also, it’ll recover quicker when you do get home.

I can’t answer for the OP, but I’m interested in this same feature purely from an ease-of-use standpoint. On the 9th of this month, for instance, the low where I live was 35.9[sup]o[/sup]F and the high was 74.6[sup]o[/sup]F.

Now, I wouldn’t normally turn on my a/c quite that soon, but between now and the end of March, there will definitely be days when I really wouldn’t mind having the heat on first thing in the morning and the a/c on in the middle of the afternoon.

I’ve been getting these at Home Depot for years. I spend a lot of time on the road (a year at a time, with limited opportunities to get home). Auto-changing thermometers are great, inexpensive, and widely available.

I live in the southeast US, and I finally got around to purchasing that exact thermostat last year, as I was tired of going to bed, and waking up in the middle of the night freezing during fall/spring. You just set it up for your comfort bracket. The only restriction, is there must be a 3 degree difference between the high and low settings for the range. It is also fully programmable, 7 individual days, 4 presets per day.