These are the best anti-war slogans they can come up with?

pilot141–I’ve seen that. in fact I watched it the other day. ahh kazaa how I love thee.

[ul]Sorry that we aren’t up on all the new names of your former colonies! :rolleyes:[/ul]

The latest Harper’s magazine (February 2003) has a short list of slogans “collected at the October 26 San Francisco peace rally by Josh Harkinson, a journalist in Berkeley, California.”

My favorites are:

Smoke Iraqi Pot, Not Iraqi People

Future Librarian Against War - Information not Decimation

Grannies Against Dead Children

Make Cookies, Not War

Beat L.A., Not Iraq! Go Giants

(p. 30)

I also like a cartoon i saw in a recent issue of The Nation. It has pictures of Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld, with the title “Empty Warheads found in Washington.”

I disavow any connection with our former colonies! :rolleyes:.

I also disavow any responsibility for the actions of them that live in any of them.

Especially any former colony where the former colonials are too ignorant, too apathetic or too insular to read a fucking atlas :rolleyes:

And at least we gave Burma back to the Burmese, and India back to the Indians, and… etc.

Your ball… :smiley:

Really? How far back? Do you disavow responsibility for something that occured within 6 months of independence? 1 year? 5? Where do you draw the line?

You’re all forgetting

Masturbate for Peace!

I haven’t had the time and guts to go down to Green Lake on a Sunday and stand across the road from the protest gang with a sign that says

"Abandon Israel to Her Fate"

Well, a popular sign has been “Hell No - We won’t go for Texaco”.

Curious…but I know that there are anit-war folk no matter what. I was watching something about anit-war rallies during WWII, and then I read this thread.

Not to hijack, but just what the hell could an anti-war protestor chant or write that would be catchy circa 1943? Seriously and not seriously…what did they write…what could they write?

You may have seen the email going around with the graphic that attributes the following to W:

“We SHELL not EXXONerate Saddam Hussein for his actions. We will MOBILize to meet this threat to vital interests in the Persian GULF until an AMOCOble solution can be reached. Our best strategy is to BPrepared. Failing that, we ARCOming to kick your ass.”

See! I knew it was possible to come up with non-sucky slogans!

Me, I’m still waiting for the “Make war, not peace” movement to revive itself. :smiley:

:smack: :smack:

Well now doesn’t that just miss the point entirely?

The Raging Grannies:

Make brownies, not war!

Oh, and the corollary to “Make love, not war:” “Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity!”

mhendo - A friend emailed me a scan of that cartoon. I just about fell out of my chair laughing. :smiley:

No slogan, but hey, I’ve got a song.

That’s convenient.

After you sucked them dry for how long???

Thank you, but I believe the ball passed to us about 1945…

Well, blurring the line between “anti-war” and “anti-Bush,” I saw a sign at a rally that read:

“Have another pretzel, fucker.”

Ah, civilized debate.

There’s a poster in the English department with a picture of planet Earth and the caption Nuestro dolor no es un grito de guerra (Our grief is not a cry for war). That works well enough.

And then there’s my old favorite–a picture of an elderly man carrying a sign that says Burritos, not bombas.

Whether it’s convenient or not is beside the point. They wanted the Brits out, they got it. What they do in their own country now is their own business. Are we meant to go and impose the Pax Britannica again? Besides, where I was going with this was mostly just to make the point that I know that Myanmar is Burma not because it used to be one of our colonies but because I can be bothered to read an atlas, and don’t think the world ends at my country’s shoreline.

Oh, and you may have missed exactly what I meant about “our former colonies”…

After we built schools, hospitals, railways, and stopped them burning their widows, and fought off the Japanese (whose fondness at that time for their fellow-Asians can be deduced from how they treated the Chinese and Koreans), and taught them the rudiments of Parliamentary democracy… I don’t think this quite works as a valid definition “sucking them dry”. True, we needed raw materials that we didn’t have on our own soil; but, with not many exceptions I can think of, we didn’t commit genocide to get it. Feh… when the Americans give their country back to its previous owners, we’ll be in a position to talk as equals. :rolleyes:

Yah. Stopping the Germans’ empire-building twice in thirty-odd years beggared us. We mourn for the US’s 135,000-odd dead in 1941-45, but we paid a sight more dearly for it, and came out of it with a ruined economy, whereas the States finished up with more food than they could eat, more money than they could spend, and not a foreign foot set on their soil (unless you count the Aleutian islands). Would you blame us for thinking that the Americans, on the whole, wanted Hitler stopped, but that if it cost us every drop of gold in the bank and our Empire into the bargain, that was just fine and dandy?

That’s also not where I was going with the expression “your ball”, as I believe you know.