[QUOTE=groman]
I just got a note on my door that I need to remove my BBQ grill from the patio by Saturday. It didn’t really specify “or else…” but I’m assuming because in my neighborhood people are expected to be… how shall I say this… acquiescent to gastronomical fascism, if you know what I mean. This isn’t just me, the apartment complex changed management and the new management banned all outdoor grills, gas and charcoal.
The way I see it I have four choices:
a) Pool together all the resources I can find to move to another place and declare orally and in writing that I am doing so because of the grill policy. I am easily replaced by people who will put up with anything as long as it doesn’t interfere with their kid’s violin lessons (Cupertino school district and all), but this is almost $1400 rent a month for them and even the couple of weeks the apartment will be vacant while they handle the damage I’ve done to it they will be losing revenue. I don’t think this will have the effect I want, this is a big management company and it’s already headed downhill.
b) Ignore the notice and find out what “or else…” means the hard way. If they touch my grill, call the cops. If they try to evict me, fight it in court.
c) Make it a big racism/cultural tolerance issue, which indirectly it really is. Refuse to remove the grill until cooking anything with curry is banned on all premises as well. Don’t get me wrong, I like curry, but seeing as how I BBQ maybe 5 times a year, curry is the predominant acrid smell of the neighborhood. It offends me , 
d) Fight it the hard way by complying with the notice literally. Move the grill indoors, set up big fans and carbon monoxide detectors and grill indoors. The ceiling is asbestos so that should be fine. I mean, permanently black with soot, but fine. When they try to charge me for the damage inform them that I was simply complying with their notice. Thumbing through the apartment rules it doesn’t really specify anything about “open fires” or any kind of indoor charcoal grills.
[/QUOTE]
Or–
e) Buy yourself a George Foreman Electric Grill, or one of the knockoffs, which really does a fine job, with a lot less mess or trouble.
For the smokey taste, the right sauce will do wonders.