They've suspended Don't Ask Don't Tell.

hey wait a minute

Wasn’t ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ a Clinton slogan? Clinton was not in the office or president in 1991. Am I missing something?

Oh, you’d LIKE that, wouldn’t you? :wink:

Would you care to rephrase that, RealityChuck? :smiley:

The logic is so bizarre to me…

Peacetime
“We can’t have openly gay people in the military, because it will, um…yeah…it will affect unit cohesion! That’s right! In tense dangerous times, on a warship or plane, you’ve got to be able to um…yeah…be cohesive as a unit!”

Vs.

Wartime
“Okay, people, we’re entering the most tense and dangerous time ever, so step up openly gay people and serve and risk your lives for your country! We’ll probably fire you afterward though. Gotta make sure those wartime units stay cohesive.”

:rolleyes:

I’m so encouraged to see the posts of the military folks in this thread.

“We don’t want you, we just need you. You’re useless to us, except as cannon fodder. You’d ruin any fighting unit, but we’re going to use you in fighting units.”

:rolleyes:

And “military intelligence” once again retains the title of quintessential oxymoron.

Esprix

Whoops, looks like I missed the point. But, isn’t this a good thing? It certainly strengthens the argument that gays can serve openly in military units without being detrimental to morale, right? It is definitely hypocritical, but I guess I have faith that with good, rational people around hypocricy doesn’t last forever.

but… but… hey! Nobody ever tole ME this! I’ve been in a militia this whole time? Dang! I missed muster. Where’s my rifle? Oh, I’m supposed to buy one myself? Rats. I’ll get right to it.

As reported in Fenceberry gay news digest:

I think that the SF Gate article was saying that the Pentagon could decide not to allow any discharges, which would include discharges for breach of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,” as well as for other reasons, like hardship and so on. Bush père appears to have issued a similar order suspending discharges during the Gulf War, which obviously wouldn’t have included the “Don’t Ask” reason for a discharge.

Soldier of the Year in 1993, actually. He came out at a Pride march in San Francisco six weeks after receiving the award.

Here is some information about him.