Things about your loved ones that you have simply come to accept.

My wife:

Complains constantly complains about things we need around the house. “We need a new mop/broom” “We need a Toaster Oven”

Keep in mind I’m not preventing her from buying these things, we have the money, she can go shopping whenever she wants. She just finds complaining about it easier.

She can’t work any remote we have. When I worked out of the home, you wouldn’t believe how many conversations that went thusly while I was at work.

Her: Somethings wrong with the TV
Me: What’s it doing.
her Nothing.
Me: Click Power
Her: I did, now its blue.
Me change the TV to channel 3
Her: the cable is on three,
me: No the TV
Her: How do I do that.
:smack:

Me:

Leave books, shoes and socks lying all around the house.
Have a tendency not to realize she’s speaking to me.
Insufferable know-it-all.

Are you my dad? :wink:

Then, too, when my parents visit, they have the worst time figuring out how my phone works. It’s simultaneously frustrating and amusing…

My wife is the same way. She is scared of getting lost and she can’t read a map. So, whenever she has an appointment or something in a new place, I either have to take her or show her the night before on a “trial run” drive. Even to places she knows how to get to, if they are kind of far I pretty much have to be the chauffeur. This can turn into a day at the mall :frowning: . However, I always bring a book or the newspaper or Games Magazine, and park myself somewhere with a coke. I get in some good reading time that way.

What makes up for it is that she hardly ever nags me at all. About anything. If I want to watch 6 hours of football on Saturday and 6 more on Sunday–no problem with her.

Oh yeah, my guy is King of Misplaced Keys. Where are the keys? In the front door, of course. If they’re not swinging in the lock outside, then they must still be in change tray at the airport security line. Once, I put his wallet through an entire wash and dry cycle (I did feel bad about that).

He believes I am the expert on Absolutely Everything. He’s always asking me bizarro questions as if I would remotely know the answer. “Why do grocery store promotions start on Wednesday?” “I have no idea.” “Why are spring rolls called spring rolls?” “I have no idea.”, etc. I keep trying to steer him towards the Straight Dope, but with little luck.

My grandmother is one of those people who leaves things in the fridge. And since it actually takes more energy to open the fridge and put them back then to throw them away in the trash right there I don’t know what’s going on. As an experiment I let things ride. After a month there were roughly 6 empty jars of jelly, 3 empty jars of peanut butter, 2 empty mayo jars, 2 empty jars of spaghetti sauce, an empty carton of milk, en empty box of juice, 4 bags of bread with just the heals, countless empty containers which formerly contained leftovers with poorly put on tin foil covers, a wrapper from a stick on butter on a small plate, an empty water container and 3 empty containers of of ice cream in the freezer. I gave up.

She also leaves her walker all over the place. Only my pinkie toe still gets annoyed at that.

My Mom and sisters often want to girlfriend with me, too often. Somehow I’m the only one in my family with functioning social skills, apparently none of them have any girlfriends of their own. I love Mom and the girls, but sisters/daughters aren’t the same as girlfriends, at least in my case.

Tonight my sister calls up needing some gf time, mid-conversation she relates something stupid her husband does. See, I don’t need to know this, now I can’t not know it about him and it lessens my opinion of the man, then she gets upset with me for disrespecting her partner when all I’m doing is agreeing with her assessment that he was stupid!

With a typical girlfriend, it’s much easier. “My man did X, gah!” “Oh, you’re right, X is stupid, I hate when guys do X, sucks to be you right now.” And, we’re done.

With my sisters it’s such a minefield. “My man did X, gah!” “Same answer” “I really don’t appreciate you saying you think my man is stupid, it’s very unsupportive of you, and how do you know anyway? You’re single, you’ve no idea what compromise in a real relationship is like anyway, you’re the last person I’d take marriage advice from and I don’t understand why you want to rip on my choice in partners…etc etc etc”

With my mother, I generally run away shrieking with my hands over my ears going “MooOOom! That’s my Dad, ewww!”

So either they need to learn to accept I’m not going to girlfriend them the way they want, or I need to learn to fake it. :dubious:

Despite the fact that he has installed not one, but two dishwashers in our house, in the same spot, Mr. Ujest has lost the exact location of this appliance and cannot seem to get his dirty dishes closer than the sink.

I think there is a magnetic force feild or something involved.

What I don’t get is that he installed all our toilets, and he could sit on them all day.

Asplain?

Add “cannot call his mother” and you’ve got bowler guy.

He takes such good care of me in so many other ways that I’m willing to overlook the phone thing.

My mom and dad are old fashioned and naive.

When I get into something I tend to talk about it all the time. Like when I first got on the SDMB, Family guy, etc you get the picture, right? Well I joined the SCA and have really enjoyed the activities and people. After one camping event that I really had a blast at I had this conversation…

Mom, all serious and suspicious- “Arent you scared?”

Me, nonplussed -“Of what?”

Mom, all wide eyed and totally serious “What if they do something to you?”

“Like what?” me getting suspicious, of her, too!

“Well what if they try to take you away somewhere and try to brainwash you? Or try to kill you?”

“Mom- that doesn’t happen.When have you known that to happen?”
“Well what about all those people in the 70’s- whole families that were taken away and killed…” (everything bad happened in the 70’s according to my parents- they still think rock concerts are like going to see The Who, Stones or Led Zep where everyone is lighting up and the Hells Angels are the security guards :smack: )

“Mom, that was Jones town. And it was a religious cult. I would not let someone take me away- I can think for myself you know!”

“Well you never know- they always prey on the smartest people- thats how they did it in Mexico…”

Apparently in Mexico there was some odd underground revolution where college students were swayed off campus and brainwashed and later turned out espousing political propaganda and shooting uzi’s. That was the argument for not sending your kids to higher learning! :frowning: Sometimes I hate sharing what I love with my parents- everything is about staying at home, at my husbands side, making dinner. Whatever.

GrizzWife simply cannot remember birthdays or anniversaries of anyone who does not live under thisroof.

Took me a few years to realize that.

Then, I started a tradition.
Every Christmas, she receives from me a pen and a large envelope full of cards for her friends and relatives birthdays and anniversaries. The (open) envelopes are all addressed and stamped. I make her sign the cards right away. Cards are sealed into envelopes and handed right back to me. Then I mail them one week before each appropriate date.

Her mom was truly impressed with her daughter’s new-found remembrances.
GrizzWife was about to reveal the dirty secret to making sure greeting cards got out on time; but I shushed her before she could do that.

I mean, there’s no need for her Mom to know everything, right?

I have come to accept, and appreciate, that my husband does not complain about my idiosyncracies on an internet message board.

[kitty cat]
Rooowwwrrrr spit! spit!
[/kitty cat]

:smiley:

C’mon, Ginger, all in good fun. As I said in my post, this is in the context of loving my wife and our relationship and, believe me, this is nothing that she and I haven’t discussed.

Plus, my wife isn’t a Doper like your husband is…

My chief source of friction (with my wife) is that I like punctuality. I prefer that we get up at 5:30, breakfast at 6:45, shower at 7:00, etc. Dinner at 7:45, bed at 10:00. I like to run my day by the clock, she is much more sloppy about times.
Damn, its 9:11 and the paper isn’t here yet… :smack:

My relatives who smoke are going to smoke until they die. Or until they stop smoking, which I don’t think they’ll do. I can have arguments with them every time I see them (until they die) or I can have some nice moments with them for a shorter amount of time.