Things adults do that you find (mildly) juvenile

This. A 100% this.

Also, people who cry or storm out when their team loses at sport.

As also mentioned, really picky eaters. My (50 year old) brother-in-law basically eats burgers, fried eggs and cheese. At our wedding - which involved multiple sharing plates of deliciousness for people of all food preferences - he went to the bar downstairs and ordered himself a burger (and put it on our bill).

He also comes round our house and sits playing games on his iPad, not engaging in conversation. He lives in Brazil, so we see him about once a year, and when we do he’s like some grumpy teenager.

My sister in law often talks about having three children - her twins and him. I’d have divorced him years ago.

What is hotdish? Why is it wrong to use a spoon?

When I take a shower, I always put a towel over the shower curtain rod, or someplace else where I can reach it, so I can dry my eyes and not get soap or shampoo in them. I had someone tell me once that that was childish.

It was the added benefit that, when the shower is over, I can dry myself in the shower and not drip all over the bathroom floor.

I didn’t watch most cartoons as a kid, but I was a big fan of Bugs Bunny and the rest of the Warner Brothers’ troupe, and I still go to retrospectives of their work on occasion. I don’t know that I’d defend it as “ooh, it’s so clever” but there are skills in the animation and story telling that I didn’t appreciate as a child.

It’s basically a casserole.

Sometimes that generous selection has more in common than you might think. It’s not uncommon to see a huge spread where everything available has at least one of a handful of ingredients that a lot of people have strong aversions to - like mayo, sour cream, mushrooms. To be more specific, I can’t stand guacamole, refried beans, or sour cream, but in some Mexican restaurants nearly every item on the menu includes refried beans and at least one of the other two. Makes you feel like you’re in the infamous Spam sketch.

you mean, apart from worrying about inconsequential things other people do? :wink:

I’m only half joking; IMO it’s actually pretty juvenile in and of itself to think adults have to do things a certain way. Ice cream cones are childish? seriously?

another one is undergarment. some guys have it in their heads that guys have to wear boxers once they’re “adults,” commonly with the put down that they “haven’t worn briefs ever since their mom stopped buying underwear for them.”

I can’t see what’s childish about the towel thing; actually a good idea if you ask me. And I wish Bugs Bunny cartoons were still on around here; I loved them as a child and if it’s possible I enjoy them even more now.

What’s the “non-childish” way to do this then? It seems to me that your way is the correct way. Probably because that’s how I dry off too :slight_smile:

I’d like to see some actual studies on this. My dentist told me that your tongue, lips, and saliva do a pretty good job of cleaning your teeth between brushing. Furthermore how do you drink liquid without a straw? It’s not like you’re straining it through your teeth! I would say most people pull liquid onto their tongue much like a straw does. Until proven otherwise, I would think there’s no negligible difference. Unless of course you stick way into the back of your throat. Most people place the tip of the straw on or just past the lips. I say not much of a difference.

Grown men wearing short pants. It’s not particularly rational or fair, but it’s how I feel. It doesn’t bother me in certain contexts (if they’re at the beach, hiking, running, mowing the lawn, relaxing at their own home, etc.). But at restaurants or stores, at work or school, when visiting other people’s houses, put on some long pants.

I think it bothers me because of my father’s experiences. Until he as 12, his controlling, extremely old-fashioned mother wouldn’t let him wear long pants, ever. He had to wear shorts in the summer and knee-pants (knickers) in winter, whether he wanted to or not (and he didn’t want to). He so resented that childhood rule that he never wore shorts as an adult, even when the weather was hot. To this day I associate long pants with grown men and short pants with children. Myself I never wear shorts in public and only very, very rarely at home.

Eh, take it up with my dentist. I just thought there might be a legitimate reason for someone using a lot of straws. Where I count “On the advice of my medical professionals” as legitimate regardless of the peer review.

Or he could just be a straw-obsessed goof.

There is no way I can take a shower and NOT have something nearby to dry my face off with. I hate water on my face and am constantly wiping it off while showering. I literally have a towel rack in my shower for this express purpose.

I won’t say it’s childish to dry your eyes with a towel as you describe, but I’ve never had an issue with getting soap or shampoo in them. Close eyes while washing face/hair, rinse well, open eyes, everything’s fine, no soap/shampoo irritation at all. Do your eyelids have some kind of anatomical irregularity that makes this challenging?

I do drape the towel over the curtain rod though - not to keep the floor dry, but so that I can towel off in the warm, super-humid micro-climate of the shower before stepping out into cold, dry air. Much more pleasant that way, especially in the winter when the bathroom air is really cold and dry.

Made worse these days with the Powers That Be deciding that cargo shorts are an abomination and that we should all wear straight shorts that look like they came from a British school uniform catalog. I’ll stick with pants.

Spectator sports. I can understand if you’re a player; good exercise, team spirit, etc. But watching someone else play a game, I just don’t get it.

I think the idea was that a Real Adult would just wash his face, rinse the soap off, and open his eyes;[sup]*[/sup] no towel required. Even if all the soap is rinsed away, I just don’t like the feeling of water dripping into my open eyes.

My sample size for “towel over the curtain rod; yes or no” is two. I though about starting a thread on the subject, but I wasn’t sure it met even the most generous mundane-and-pointless threshold.

• It was actually a woman who said it was childish, so perhaps that should read “wash her face”, etc.

Most of the time it’s fine; close eyes, lather, rinse, etc. Maybe a couple times a decade there will just be a bit of shampoo residue at the corner of my eye when I open it, and that irritates a bit. I still just like to wipe the area around my eyes dry before I open them. Maybe it’s a subconscious holdover from the few times I did get something in my eyes.

It’s been ages since I’ve been swimming, but I remember I could swim with my eyes open. I didn’t need a towel when I came out of the water and opened my eyes. Maybe I should try this new, adult method of showering. Never too old to learn something new, and every once in a while there’s a shower with a full door and no room to drape a towel over it, which is how the subject came up in the first place.

That too. No reason to come out of a warm shower on a cold day until you really have to.

I don’t care for it either; if I open my eyes underwater or when my hair/forehead is dripping, it feels like somehow the water is accumulating under my eyelids. I manage to solve this with by slicking back my hair and wiping my forehead with my hand to stop the dripping, and rubbing my eyes a bit to drive out any accumulated water. YYMV.

Yeah, I definitely subscribe to the XKCD view of adulthood.

Not taking responsibility for your own life, like getting your parents to bail you out because you didn’t pay the bills on time? Juvenile. Having fun in ways that hurt no-one? What’s the problem :confused:

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have cartoons to watch while eating cream cakes in my jammies, because I can.

My Little Pony - I just don’t get the obsession.