Things Everyone Should Know

While I don’t agree with being rude the the waitstaff, luck has nothing to do with it. I paid for that meal. And, apparantly, the ambiance provided.

Course, you may be working at one of the free Hare Krishna kitchens in which case you’re totally right and I dig your robes!

Precisely. Also, have you ever noticed the behavior or semi drivers in these situations? They hang back and block traffic behind them, forcing people to merge before the construction point. The reason why they do this is that they have a lot more traffic experience than most people and they know that the smart thing, the thing that keeps traffic moving, is if everyone merges before the construction site.

It is not smarter to merge at the construction site. It is far more dangerous and slows everyone down.

And another corrollary:
Upon receiving a wedding invitation, knowing how to respond when it doesn’t come with one of those pre-printed response cards.

TJDude, seeing eye dogs always have a different type of harness on, one that a non-working dog would never wear. It has a hard handle that comes up and across on each side of of the dog’s shoulders that the blind person will be holding. Some wear little vests (not the right word, I know) that identify them as guide dogs.

Interstates 1, 2, and 3 are in Hawaii. There are actually a fair number of Interstates that are contained in a single state, but are still part of the Interstate Highway System.

I said it was good to know, not that it necessarily made sense!

(And yeah, I should have just said it started in the West, not on the West Coast.)

• How to make a birthday cake (okay, it doesn’t have to be from scratch, that’s just bonus points in life)

• How to put toghter furniture if it comes with instructions

• How program simple electronic, as my mother still can’t use the CD player we’ve had since before I was born

• How to behave in a polite if not correct form at religious ceremonies that you’ve been invited to

• How to swim

• How to help in an emergency, which might mean doing something and might mean getting the hell out of the way

• How to read a map (knowing how to fold it is also a plus)

• A general point for life, knowing who you can trust to be alone with and who you should leave at least the door open with when they are around

Oh, I like the one about potlucks, my dish is homemade mac and cheese or peach pie, in season, not that I go to potlucks, really

Well, I see your point. I realized after I wrote it that buying it ain’t exactly a luxury…but I still think that a guy is lucky to live somewhere you can go and pay a little extra and have it all done for you. If we’re not careful, we could end up with the Third World thread coming up…

Another thing I forgot to mention. When you ask someone what their major is and they reply X, do NOT say “I always hated X.” I’m a little tired of people doing that to me.

Chem majors unite!

No, it’s nationwide. I used it up in SC to find an exit. (Didn’t stop me from missing it though, but at least I could point to it and say, “That’s our exit” as we drove by it.)

Sorry for the confusion. Basically, if an exit says “Main Street, one mile” and the little sign up on top says “Exit 12”, whatever side of the Main Street sign that the exit number side is on is the side of the road that the exit is on.

Before I decided to get into graphic design/art and I was taking basic classes, people would ask me what I liked to study. I would say history. . “Really? Ugh, I hate history! I’ve never found it interesting. It’s so boring!”

If you are parking in the hospital’s lot, and if you’re able-bodied, park on the far side of the lot. A lot of folks coming to the hospital are hurt, sick, or disabled; let them have the close spots.

Everything governmental or medical will involve waiting. Take along a book or something to pass the time.

Taking a flash picture of something more than 20 feet away is a waste of time and film.

Learn where the corners of your car are. Parking by ear is never a good idea. :mad:

I’m going to take a chance and go on the chivalry bent:

-Open doors for ladies. This includes car doors as well as regular doors.
-Pull out your wife’s/date’s/mother’s chair. No, not out from under her.
-Know how to order dinner for the both of you. Don’t assume what she wants. Find out, and order.
-Stand up when a lady comes to or leaves the table. Does not include the waitress.
-Always give up your seat to a lady.
-Help a lady to take off and put on her coat.

And for the ladies:

-Know how to accept the above for the well intentioned and respectful gestures they are. (Woman who yelled “I can open my own fucking door, thank you!”, I’m talking to you…)

Amen. Also on planes, trains, and automobiles. Anybody who doesn’t bring anything to do on a plane ride is an idiot.

-Corollary: don’t assume that a person reading a book is only doing it to get your attention.

-I’m guilty of waiting way too long to learn this, but everybody who drives should know how to parallel park a car.

-Know how to give directions to where you live.

-Know where the nearest hospital is to your house, and how to get there.

In SpuriousLand, no consensus is necessary. Helpfully, there are signs posted all around my laundry room and on every individual lint trap saying “You must clean out your lint trap after drying a load of laundry.” If you don’t, Marvin the Muscular Apartment Manager may have some words for you.

No, they are not my arguments. I merely summarized them.

I was demonstrating my understanding of both sides of the argument.

You are demonstrating an understanding of only one. And it does not automatically make you correct.

Summarized them from where? No one else posted arguments as to why one should not clean a lint trap, only you did that.

I demonstrate an understanding of only one? I understand both sides and the arguments you gave are ridiculous.

Originally posted by bughunter in the Skid Marks thread

And you think your lint is clean? :dubious:

It damn well better be. I washed it. After I wash my underwear, it doesn’t have skidmarks. And neither does my lint.

You are entitled to disagree with “my arguments.” But that doesn’t make them “suck” or “ridiculous.” Your emotionally-loaded characterisations of “my arguments” do more to undermine any objective validity to your arguments than anything I could write.

And for the record, no laundromats I’ve ever used have had patron accessible filters to begin with. And at home, I clean the filter before loading the dryer.

As others have mentioned in the Skid Mark thread, unless you wash them immediately after the creation of the skids, you’re underwear are going into the dryer with the skid marks too.

No, disagreeing with arguments don’t make an argument ridiculous. I’ve disagreed with people before and don’t always find there rationale ridiculous. In your case, I do.

No one is talking about a home dryer. There talking about public ones, possibly like ones found in a college dorm where the lint traps do have to be cleaned by the users.

Why do you put “my aruments” in quotes? Are you still claiming that they are not yours but summaries of someone elses? Whose?

x-ray vision and bughunter, y’all do realize that you’re both getting in a heated, pissy argument about dryer lint, right?

Just making sure.

I was waiting for that. :smiley: