Things I Was Wrong About For Over 20 Years

Probably goes without saying that you have to be over 40 or so to play this game.

I just found out that the Toto song “99” was based on the movie “THX1138” (and I’m maybe the only guy my age who hasn’t seen that movie).

I always assumed it was about the sexy woman spy in “Get Smart.”

And yes, I’m an idiot, thank you for asking.

Radical feminism.

The lyrics to more than a Feeling.
I always just thought it said
“More than a feeling
What I feel down inside me is
More than a feeling”

When actually it said:
“More than a feeling
When I hear that old song they used to play/it’s more than a feeling”

I couldn’t sit thru THX1138 & I thought the same thing about the song. You’re not an idiot at all. Come on! Barbara Feldman! ROWR!!!

No, but “99 Luftballons” is. :wink:

As is “99 Bottles Of Beer On The Wall”…

So it’s not:
What if all these fantasies
Come claiming new ground

It’s:
What if all these fantasies
Come flailing around (or aground, lyric sites don’t agree)

Who knew??

I can’t drive 99!
I always thought it was 55.

For years I thought the Red Hot Chili Peppers’ song “Around the World” said

You say “hello” and then I say “I do”

I recently realized the actual lyric is

You say “hello” and then I say “adieu”

I thought the lyrics to Jeremy were

“Dare to be spoken, Jeremy”

whereas they are actually

“Jeremy spoke up in class today”

For about 25 years, I’d thought - and told anyone silly enough to care - that I’m 5’ 5". Found out about six years ago that I’m only 5’ 4". I’m officially a short arse.

Feldon. You haven’t thought her last name was Feldman for the last 20 years, have you? :stuck_out_tongue:

[nitpick] You’re still wrong. There’s no “up” in the line. [/nitpick]

http://www.metrolyrics.com/jeremy-lyrics-pearl-jam.html

but can you drive at 5’5"?

My mom told me a story as a warning about a boy who wasn’t careful and got his penis caught in his zipper. She said they had to cut it off. It was an embarassingly long time before I realized the “it” was the zipper not the penis.

This is heading towards being the same thread as “obvious things you didn’t notice about your favorite work for a long time”, but I don’t think mine was obvious.

In Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade(now 22 years old), I thought Elsa had really tried to choose the right grail for Donovan and simply been foolish about picking the fancy one.

Because I grew up seeing it that way, my wife had to be the one to point out the Elsa knew she was picking a bad one and killing Donovan. She exchanges a knowing look with Indy about what she is doing, too. I guess I just missed it growing up.

Makes way more sense for her character that she is intentionally screwing over Donovan.

Did you look that up in your Funk & Wagnalls?

Your disks might have compressed and/or your bone density lowered.

You’re not the only one. I was watching that scene on YouTube not long ago, I was trying to remember if the Knight was someone famous in a cameo. When Elsa handed Donovan the wrong grail I actually thought “Hey, was that cene always like that?”

LOL! No, but fair question! I am glad of the reminder/correction.

I did however think for over 20 years that the Blood Countess’s last name was Bathorny. L