Things that make you look old

Damn, Pulp Fiction is older than The Wizard of Oz was when I was born. :eek:

Reading a dead-tree book. I still carry one everywhere and read it on the Skytrain, in Starbucks etc. I’m almost always the only one not staring at their phone.

Don’t feel bad - my daughter continually has her nose in a dead tree. She’s twelve :slight_smile:

Or newspaper, folded “that way”.

I’ve noticed that old people seem to favor a particular ring tone for their phones- the one that goes “brrrrrrrrrrrring!”- like an olde tyme landline. My dad, my husband’s dad, and my boss all have this ringtone.

Oh fine, you got me…I’m old. I even wear pantyhose sometimes!

Things that make you look old

My birthday

Given that the “device” you speak of is typically a cell phone kept in a pocket, it’s actually more olde-tymey than a wrist watch.

(from there, it was interesting to learn that Flavor Flav was not really a fashion innovator…)

The GOOD news is, it’s looking like I probably won’t have to worry about gray hair…

Seems to me that if you’re a man and you’re short haired and clean shaven, that is pretty much a sure market that you’re above a certain age. It seems like facial hair and beards are surprisingly prevalent among the younger set, even the out of college ones.

I tend to think of newspapers and watches as being things that mark someone as squarely in the “Over 35-40” set. I mean, my parents and my in-laws HAVE to read their newspapers every morning, and my father routinely bitches that the paper is getting smaller and smaller and not worth the money. I pointed out to him that his paper (the Houston Chronicle) actually has a decent website, but he wasn’t having any of that.

Watches are in the same category; I think one has to have got past a certain age without habitually and routinely using a cell phone/blackberry in order to still be wearing and routinely using wristwatches. I’m 43, and I quit wearing my watch about 7 years ago; I got eczema on my left wrist where I wore my watch, and had to stop wearing my watch for a while, and realized that I never missed it, as I was apparently already using my phone for timekeeping and my watch essentially as jewelry.

Certain styles of clothing mark one as old as well; things that were faddish and are now squarely out of style; Members Only jackets, acid-wash jeans, baggy jeans, bangs on women, higher socks when wearing shorts, etc… I’ll say goatees/van-dykes on men; they seem to be a relic of the 1990s and 2000s, but there are still a lot of 30-something and older men keeping them around. I don’t see many on people in their 20s.

The commuter fold? My Ex said she was taught that in school in NY.

Yep, I only see people my age (I’m 58) read news that way. Meanwhile I read it on my tablet.

Still uses a flip-phone.

My parents use flip phones. What makes them REALLY old is that they turn it on when they leave the house and turn it off when they get home.

No periods to have spaces after??

Other people make me look old. That, and the hair in my ears.

Regards,
Shodan

I’m 47 and have always hated speaking on the phone. That’s got nothing to do with age.

FIL (v.1.0) was an advocate of the commuter fold. You do not annoy other passengers on the train or bus.
I guess ear buds are the modern version.

I do this too. I didn’t know it’s not done anymore?

My Walkman. But it still works and I still have tapes I like so ------------