Things that make you look old

Using a phone book, and printing things off if it isn’t absolutely necessary to have a paper copy.

I can’t stop the two spaces after a period, sorry. But evidently it does make you sound old.

Pleated pants.

Using e-mail.

Appearance-wise, your neck always tells the truth.

Yes - relaxed fit jeans with a belt and your shirt tucked in. White sneakers to put it over the top. Bonus points for a cell phone holster. :slight_smile:

carrying a cell phone which is only a cell phone.

(i.e. not a smartphone)

It has a lot to do with phone technology. Talking on cell phones is unpleasant. The sound quality is poor, and there’s a distinct lag which sort of messes up the flow of conversation. It still works, but it doesn’t feel like talking to a person.

No one who habitually uses a cell phone makes social phone calls. A large fraction of people who use or used landlines do. It was never everyone, but the % landline users who like to chat on the phone is about a hundred times higher than the % cellphone users who do.

Cell phone users text instead, because that’s on the other side of the uncanny valley.

Oh, and the last time my watch died I tried to go without it. I went nuts having to pull out my phone all the time. Trying to conduct an interview and keep track of the time – boy, did I feel rude putting my phone in sight. Glancing at my watch to see if I can stroll to catch the train or if I need to hustle. No, I do NOT want to fish in my pocket, that’s counter-productive under the circumstances.

I expect that when cell phone technology works on the wrist (a la the iWatch) it will completely overwhelm the “pocket watch” model, just as wrist watched almost completely replaced pocket watches.

I’ve tried shaving ironically, but nobody gets it.

My FitBit Charge HR gives me the time. After not wearing a wristwatch for six or seven years, it’s a huge relief to have the time on my wrist again.

I’ve been wearing that style since I was in my early-20s, before that I wore mostly T-shirts (and relaxed fit jeans - possibly called “Plus-size” in the 1980s, I don’t recall). This is because I’ve pretty much always been stocky since I was a little kid. Changed from white sneakers to black sneaker probably 2 decades ago.
Oh yes, shirt is generally a polo shirt - even better, with pockets: cell, er mobile, er smart phone (whatever) goes in the pocket. Cell phone in front pants pockets, likely to get lost when I need to use it (or perhaps scratched by keys), in back pockets chance of getting damaged (re “stocky” above). Practicality above all.

Using punctuation, proper grammar, and spelling out words on social media. My sons continually tell me how old that makes me seem.

Writing a check at the grocery store.

Referring to ‘albums’ when you’re speaking of music. For that matter, using CDs when listening to music, too.

:confused:

The offices and conference rooms where you work…don’t they have clocks on the wall?

Whew! I just got rid of my flip phone and now I don’t look old any more!

I notice a lot doctors waiting rooms don’t have clocks anymore . Paying bills by snail mails

I recently got chastised for the same texting offense. Sorry but it’s ingrained in me and while I’m really making an effort to get with the texting program, that’s one thing that I’m not really interested in adapting to.

If I go by this thread I must look positively mummified. I often wear a watch; why wouldn’t I? It’s an accessory like any other piece of jewelry. My phone is not a flip, but it has buttons (looking in to changing that). My gym shoes are white (however I don’t wear gym shoes anywhere but the gym so hopefully everyone there is to busy to notice).
I don’t think anyone mentioned listening to top 40 radio. Or worse, I sometimes listen to the “Oldies” station (they play '80 music :smack:). I have the dreaded “tramp stamp” which I assume nobody is getting done anymore(?) I’m sure there’s more. How could there not be; I *am *old :frowning:

As far as people in general, I live in a sunny, tourist spot and I look at people with sun damaged skin and fried hair every day. I think they, especially the ladies, think the sun kissed look is attractive but it very much is not.

I think the thing that makes men look the oldest is wearing a pair of sweatpants, and then a longish pair of white socks with the bottom of the pants tucked into the socks. Bonus points if they are simultaneously wearing sandals.

Looks like someone that would be found in the lobby of an old folks home. Guaranteed to make a 60 YO look 85.

And I love the idea that not wearing a wrist watch and instead using your cell phone to tell the time makes one look hip. The process of telling time then becomes:

1. Dig your phone out of your pocket or out of its holder.

2. Open the phone.

3. Read the time.

4. Replace the phone in the pocket/holder.

I remember my grandfather following exactly these steps when using his pocket watch.

Stand strong, sister. I’d rather be considered old than illiterate any day.

Yea, a freshman listening to the GoGos today would be more outdated than listening to Al Jolson or Nat King Cole when I was in high school.

I’ve been noticing a trend at work of lawyers, bankers, agents, etc. who are older than me (I’m 40) using text speak in their emails. More often than not, it’s followed by “Sent by my iPhone.”

Emoticons have also been used.

I recently bought bifocals I wear at work. I’m sure I look old as fuck when I’m tilting my head backward to read my computer monitor.

• Spiked mousse-hair past the age of 30. It just looks like you’ve had plugs put in with some do it yourself rivet gun*. Bedazzling your head with onion grass is Not a good look.

(Add a Bonus x50 multiplier if you'r dying it the same shade of brown as a UPS truck.)

• Trying to talk “gangsta”. “Ima”? Really? As in “Ima Try Too Damn Hard”? Also, Old-skool will probably be worked into Geritol commercials later in the year.

(Alternate example: “Ima let you finish, but you wear CLOTHES older than Taylor Swift, Granpa Possum.”)