Things that you've read/seen that you wish you hadn't?

Yeah, but they’re not going to eat her, are they? :wink:

Most of the scenes from the Faces Of Death series were faked, including the monkey one.

Antichrist really freaked me out, I think it’s Willem Dafoe and Charlotte Gainsbourg’s performances as it isn’t extremely gory. I saw a video clip (only the one, out of curiosity) of people receiving punishment in some sandy bumfuck backwards non-nation, which was very gruesome and stayed with me.

That scene isn’t in the film, but he does kill the homeless guy (although you don’t see much). I actually rate the film very highly, more than the book.

Ah Christ, that one. Of all the horrible things I’ve seen in real life and the net, that’s the one that stuck with me. I donated money I couldn’t afford to Operation Limitless Compassion after seeing that. Didn’t help though.

Not enough smart bombs in the world to get that out of my head.

I was on a jury for a death penalty trial so they had to keep convincing us of the unusually cruel aspects of the victim’s death to make it a capital offense. It lasted a month. We had color videos of the body and crime scene. We had in court the actual blood-stained clothes, and yards of stained duct tape they stretched out for us. The pathologist who testified looked like Lucy Liu. In her soft, clear, lightly accented voice she made sure we knew exactly what happened. Everytime she described some horror I’d think ‘Well, they’re not going to show us THAT and pass around the pictures.’ I was wrong every time. Worst of all was the photos of: I DON’T KNOW HOW TO DO THE SPOILER BOX SO JUST QUIT READING IF YOU ARE SENSITIVE (BUT IF YOU ARE MAYBE YOU SHOULD BE IN DIFFERENT THREAD):the pictures of his head after the pathologist peeled down his face so we could see how deep the bruising from the beating was into his face muscles.

As in any jury trial you can’t talk about it while it’s on. I’d go to court before morning light and return home as it was getting dark again. I’d stop by work to pick papers and drop off what I’d finished in a dark completely empty building that I had the keys to. Man, was I sad. :frowning:

Shit. I’ve just been called for jury duty. No I’m seriously dreading I’ll have to serve. Thanks.

My SIL has been picked for a jury twice, and both were for lawsuits. One was a totally open-and-shut case, and in the other, the parties walked into the courtroom, and when they saw the jury, etc. said, “We’ll settle this out of court” and that was it.

The one time my number came up, it was too high and I never even had to go to voir dire. For reasons I won’t go into here, I was actually hoping I would get called, so I was a bit disappointed.

A big dog bit my small dog and crushed its skull. The little dog didn’t die, though. It was still running around with its eyeball hanging out. It was horrific. The vet had to put her down.

Some scenes in the film The Grey Zone have haunted me for years. I don’t want to see that movie again.

I’ve spent the last 7+ years as an EMT. A few of the things that I’ve seen that I wish I hadn’t:

1. A guy who went to his ex-wife’s house to turn over the kids for her weekend. He sat on her front porch afterward, stuck a shotgun under his chin, and fired. He was still alive when we got there, despite not having the front 1/3 of his head. He had no face. He was breathing directly through his trachea.

2. A guy who shot his 4-month old son in the face because he said God told him to.

3. A bedridden, elderly man who was so neglected by his family that they had just used a complete roll of duct tape to secure an adult diaper to him, and let him be. His body was essentially one giant bedsore. We KNEW it was going to hurt him severely to move him to our stretcher, but we had to. He died when we got to the hospital. But he grabbed my partner’s hand and thanked us both before he died.

4. Picking up the body of a schoolmate after he and his brother got into an argument over a cell phone bill, and his brother beat him to death with his bare hands.

5. A 12-year old rape victim who was also shot in the head

6. Retrieving the body of someone who committed suicide by setting his house on fire. He was a friend of mine from school.

7. A closed highway (which is surreal in and of itself) while we picked up the intestines of an infant killed in a traffic accident.

For real? I’ll have to Google that. I carried that image in my head for over 20 years, it will be nice to put it to rest as fake. Thank you.

A few weeks ago I read a Cracked article on real-life horror movie plots, and they mentioned David Parker Ray.

The story if his crimes wasn’t what got to me.

He made a tape recording that he left in a cassette player for his female victims to listen to upon capture.

They provided a link to a site with the transcript of one of those tapes. I read about half way through before I realized I was consuming prime nightmare material. I would be happy if I never remembered the content of that transcript again. Don’t google it.

Take knitting with you & just keep muttering “Guillotine… guillotine!”

About 20 years ago I was living in an apartment building with my ex. One night we woke up in the middle of the night to banging and yelling in the apartment above us. We were on the second floor. I heard a noise coming from our kitchen. I went into the kitchen, which had a huge window that reached nearly to the ceiling. The window bottom was about 2-3 feet from the floor, and the top was near the ceiling. I think the entire window was about 5 feet high.

This was where the noise was coming from. I could see someone’s feet dangling near the top of the window. Apparently someone was hanging from the windowsill in the apartment above us. I could hear someone saying “help me”. My GF got on the phone to 911, and a minute or so later she (it was a girl) fell about 30 feet onto the concrete in back of the building.

I’m still haunted by this. I couldn’t have reached her feet from the floor. I could have stood on the counter, opened the top half of the window, and tried to pull her in. But my feet would have been above the bottom of the window. If I got up high enough to reach her, I wouldn’t have been able to brace my lower body against the wall. Her weight would have pulled me through the glass and out the window. But I still think I should have been able to do something.

I don’t know how badly she was hurt, or even if she survived. I asked a few other people in the building, and someone said a person on the 3rd floor had been charged with murder or attempted murder. It was a student building, with people moving in and out constantly, and I never got any more information on what happened.

This is just a trivial one.

The 1983 song “In A Big Country” by the Scottish group Big Country - often described as that band who make guitars sound like bagpipes - is introspective, certainly, but ultimately celebratory and life affirming with the refrain:

I’m not expecting to grow flowers in the desert,
But I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime

Actually Big Country’s founder, singer, guitarist and writer Stuart Adamson tragically failed to “see the sun in wintertime” and took his own life during a difficult time in December 2001.

I wish I could enjoy the couplet without the knowledge of the fate of the man who wrote it.

TCMF-2L

Good advice! :smiley: Madame Defarge aside, Guinastasia and nearwildheaven, if we were chatting and you told me you or a loved one had jury duty I would not have told you a horror story. I have been selected many times, most very brief and interesting. That one was very interesting as well, but I do wish I could unsee some of that evidence. We jurors really bonded. We had to return four months later for the penalty phase (it’s a Florida thing to advise ‘death’ or ‘life in prison’) and it was like a family reunion. Well, for us not the accused. So I have found jury duty a positive experience on the whole.

Do bring something to do while waiting, like a book. We put together jigsaw puzzles on the big table in the jury room. It won’t happen when you are just waiting to be picked or not, nor usually at most trials, but for our jury our phones/computers etc. were locked up while we were at the courthouse. They checked our books too. (BTW ‘The Complete History of Jack the Ripper’ and ‘Koko’ good. ‘King James Bible’ and ‘Webster’s Dictionary’ bad.)

Why didn’t I listen? Why didn’t I listen?

Once I watched that horrible movie Roger Ebert wrote when it came up on some cable channel. Beyond the Valley of the Dolls or something like that. Just awful. And that guy had the nerve to criticize other people’s movies after that?

I had to dash out when I read minor7flat5’s post, or I’d have reiterated his warning (I’d read the transcripts already, about a year ago).

You know this already from having read it, Guinastasia, but for the rest of you out there, Ray was a sexual sadist. The tapes were to inform his victims of the specific acts that would be committed upon them, the rules they were expected to conform to during their confinement, and the punishments that would happen if they violated those rules.

A similar purpose, I think, to the video mentioned upthread of Leonard Lake and Charles Ng initiating their victims to their new status. Ray gave ‘hope’ to his victims by mentioning that they would be let go eventually, after being given heavy doses of an amnesiac drug cocktail. The summary I’d read as well as the wiki, indicated that the procedure had been done to several people before the woman who’d gotten away, leading to Ray and his accomplices’ capture. And Ray’s eventual death in custody. I am very disappointed that one of his accomplices, who’d strangled a woman with her death recorded on audiotape, only received 22 years. Originally, he’d been paroled after serving only 11 of them.

There are monsters out there, walking among us. Be careful.

On a happier note, the transcripts of Ray’s tapes, and the admonition to not read them, reminds me of a short story by Larry Niven, set in his Draco Tavern milieu. In it, a member of the chief alien species tells two humans a story of another species that performed research into spirituality and life after death. The species initially kept the rest of the galaxy informed as to their progress, but later, they began to quickly drop out of communication with everyone else. When the chief alien species sent explorers to that species’s homeworld to see what had happened, they discovered the species had taken great pains to ensure that all of its members committed suicide. Which they did, by all accounts willingly, cheerfully, and energetically. Soon, members of the exploration team started to commit suicide. Centuries later, historians viewing the records of the expedition also began committing suicide and eventually, the records were destroyed.

I still get chills remembering the story, but that’s better than the feeling I get revisiting the specifics of some of these old atrocities.